[Vote] (6-67) Siam Rework

Include in VP?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh I thought Russia was forest also. Well anyway, it's not a big deal either way I suppose.

Egypt has a river bias, rivers exist in tundra. Egypt is just as likely to show up in Tundra as it is in Desert or Forest.

Mongolia doesn't have a bias that doesn't exclude coast, therefore, it can show up on the coast.

All civs can only have 1 bias. Any river bias civ has nothing to determine what terrain they are in. So Songhai, who has a river bias, has no preference for plains vs desert vs tundra. Etc. there are also lots of civs with no start bias at all that we allow to free-float, like Sweden or Russia.

IMO it’s good to remove start bias from Siam because I think the forest bias is essentializing. Not only does freeing up start placements benefit the whole game, I would argue it centres the culture onto the people, distinct and independent of environment. Like the Thai people would still be Thai if they weren’t in a jungle. I think the forest biases, desert biases etc sometimes hew too far into treating some cultures like they’re elves or something.

Egypt has a river bias, rivers exist in tundra. Egypt is just as likely to show up in Tundra as it is in Desert or Forest.
Egypt has a desert bias

but yeah, all of the start biases have gameplay reasons in addition to the thematic historical ones

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom