Which television shows are you watching? Series 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Takhisis

¡Patria y vida!
Last edited:
The new War of the Worlds really started out as an interesting version of the classic, but by episode 3 it's really starting to drag (I mean literally the characters all move so slooooow.). It also gets bogged down with poorly developed characterizations and ridiculous genre tropes. Hopefully, it picks back up again in the final seven episodes.

The Clone Wars is firing on all cylinders! The story, characters, & cinematography are all top notch and extremely enjoyable. I really wish we were getting more than 12 episodes or even another season post ROTS.

Picard has been a unmitigated disaster. My whole family stopped watching it half way through episode 5. From what I've heard from friends and even some of my favorite online reviewers, it doesn't appear as if episode 6 improved things much. So long All Access, you ain't getting any more of my money.

Did anyone check out Dispatches from Elsewhere on AMC? I watched the first episode and I'm kind of at a loss. I didn't dislike it, but I can't say I enjoyed it either. It was kind of a quirky and confusing, but somehow intriguing mess. Thought I would give it a try since I like Jason Segel and he's also writing and producing this series. I figure at only five episodes it's worth sticking it out to the end.

Picard has been a unmitigated disaster. My whole family stopped watching it half way through episode 5. From what I've heard from friends and even some of my favorite online reviewers, it doesn't appear as if episode 6 improved things much. So long All Access, you ain't getting any more of my money.
There was this exchange in the third instalment of this thread):
Arakhor said:
hobbsyoyo said:
Without spoilers, did E6 of Picard improve on E5? I don't know what happened in E5, just that people were pissed about it.
Definitely. Even compensating for ep 5 being so controversial, ep 6 was really very good.

Episode 6 was much better.

Synsensa agrees with me, but then I ran into some idiot the other day who was insisting that literally every episode of classic Trek and TNG was better than anything in Discovery or Picard, whilst also whining about political correctness etc. (He may also have been including Enterprise in his rant, but I'd already blocked him at that point.)

Variety - "The Magicians to end after season 5 on SyFy"

I don't suppose Amazon is up for another scoop, a la The Expanse. Marc Maron said he was satisfied with 4 seasons of GLOW and that, in his opinion, most shows don't warrant more than 4 or 5 seasons anyway. F that. In the alternate universe where I'm godkingemperor, Halt and Catch Fire is in its 7th season and Agent Carter is in its 5th (with 6 and 7 on the way - it was a 3-season pickup).

OK...and, so?
Well, since Picard isn't up on display here (possibly because they're busy dubbing/subtitling it) I cannot speak for my personal experience (yet) but I was just pointing out that others say the series really changes after Episode 5. As far as episode 6, I gather.

I figured this would be the final season. Overall, it's been fairly lackluster after a certain character left. Thing with a show is that if you take out arguably the most important and central character, you really need to replace them with a character that is equally pivotal to the show. The Magicians' showrunners didn't do that, and instead turned it into a largely ensemble show of characters who individually could have developed deep character arcs, but instead became an overall shallow morass of blandness.

It's a pity to hear that. So far SyFy's only shown the first two seasons here. How much more can I watch? I'm not particularly worried about spoilers for this show, myself.

I figured this would be the final season. Overall, it's been fairly lackluster after a certain character left. Thing with a show is that if you take out arguably the most important and central character, you really need to replace them with a character that is equally pivotal to the show. The Magicians' showrunners didn't do that, and instead turned it into a largely ensemble show of characters who individually could have developed deep character arcs, but instead became an overall shallow morass of blandness.
It's a pity to hear that. So far SyFy's only shown the first two seasons here. How much more can I watch? I'm not particularly worried about spoilers for this show, myself.
The first four seasons were good.
Agreed. I thought the fourth season was outstanding. The Magicians will go straight onto my "rewatch this whole series in a few years" list.

Now that The Good Place is over I decided I'd give it another try. I long ago saw the first season and wasn't impressed, but everyone and their mother keeps lauding this show like it's a true successor to the greats. So I figure I should do what I did with those and try again (The Office took three tries before I liked it).

So far... not impressed. :sad: Only three episodes in, though.

Also, I bailed on Teen Wolf. Turns out I had seen everything except the second half of season 5 and all of season 6. So the actual "finding out what I missed" process was pretty short. I stopped after the first half of season 6 (Teen Wolf was one of the shows that had two stories in one season, with a break in between). The ending there was appropriate, and them trying to keep it going afterwards with Stiles training at the FBI and Scott as an assistant coach at the school was boring, tired, and really just undid the meaningful ending they'd already had. I didn't bother sticking around to find out what the second ending would be like.

I was never completely won over by The Good Place, either. It was fine. I've never been a huge fan of the half-hour, network comedy, and of course nothing survives The Hype Train. I liked the whole cast, though. I'm looking forward to seeing what they all do next. D'Arcy Carden is doing A League of Their Own for Amazon. I'm not sure what to expect from that.

Since it's not available here yet I have to ask whether it features giant death robots.

The second season of Altered Carbon isn't nearly as good as the first. It seems like a lot of gratuitous violence just for the sake of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom