(7-88) Rename Oxford University to Institute of Science

Status
Not open for further replies.
Proposal: Oxford University National Wonder is renamed to Institute of Science

Amendment: Academy of Sciences instead of National University
Amendment II: Institute of Science instead of Academy of Sciences

Rationale: Oxford is too specific, while the game has a plethora of different Civilizations and cultures. A more generic name fits better and is better for the game, in my humble opinion.

Last edited:
Is it possible to just rename a building without recreating it over and over in the database?

We could probably come up with a list of Oxford equivalents, and maybe just swap the text around? though I am not sure if the mechanisms exist for this
I thought about replacing only the text and not the names and all references in SQL, but valid point, that without that in the future it can be confusing (although there are already examples for such cases in the code).

It would be very thematically satisfying, seeing historical names that do not yet appear in VP showing up. I get the idea of national university, it's fine, but bland. Probably would vote for it nonetheless.

Or maybe that's what you pick in the build queue and then once built it takes on the name "university of [city name]". It's a thematic only thing maybe, so not with a lot of dev time, but something like this would be much more appealing even

edit: regardless of the approach, maybe also drop the "university" and switch to "national college" -- I think this is in line with what it was called in past games, and it distinguishes it from the plain old university

Last edited:
It would be very thematically satisfying, seeing historical names that do not yet appear in VP showing up. I get the idea of national university, it's fine, but bland. Probably would vote for it nonetheless.

Or maybe that's what you pick in the build queue and then once built it takes on the name "university of [city name]". It's a thematic only thing maybe, so not with a lot of dev time, but something like this would be much more appealing even
That's why I wrote what I wrote immediately after the proposal, encouraging others for counterproposals ;)

(I didn't want to in the proposal post, as I don't know if it's against the rules or not, althought haven't seen such prohibition in the guide)

I hope others will come up with better names, I just didn't want to run out from the proposal phase with the idea (as I did a few times earlier... :crazyeye:)

Please make counterproposals, right now I couldn't think of anything better name, but I'm sure others will have better ideas.
Why not just edit your proposal with whatever name you like most, rather than adding to the total number of proposals?

Why not just edit your proposal with whatever name you like most, rather than adding to the total number of proposals?
1) so it's not up to one person's taste to decide what is the best
2) so people can choose from more options during Voting phase

( 3) for whatever reason I thought amendments can not be made during Counterproposal phase, so give more time for ideas. But I read the guide again, and as it turns out this is not the case, amendments can be made there, so this argument is not valid :) )

1) so it's not up to one person's taste to decide what is the best
2) so people can choose from more options during Voting phase

( 3) for whatever reason I thought amendments can not be made during Counterproposal phase, so give more time for ideas. But I read the guide again, and as it turns out this is not the case, amendments can be made there, so this argument is not valid :) )
It sounds like you don't actually like the name you are proposing.

I'm definitely against National College since that's confusing with the vanilla National College now named School of Philosophy.

As alternative what about "Studium Generale" ? It's Latin but it is a generic term referring to the most prestigious universities in Europe during late Medieval era.

Something that doesn't start with "National" would be preferred.

Can one of our knowledgeable community members comment on whether having dynamic name for same building (and same database entry) is possible without new code? For example, the great people are all the same great people in the database, but they get a unique name.

If we can do this without new code, or with minimal new code, then this would be the basis of my counter proposal on this and a few others this round. However if it's a big DLL construction project I'd be fine with either status quo or these generic names.

One last comment from me about OP: some of these names have a certain civ franchise pedigree. I believe Oxford is one of these, it was used this same way in civ 4 iirc. This is a solid case to keep using it imo, though I'd probably vote for either/or here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom