(7-70) Vassal Unit Tribute at Era Change: Use Highest Tech Tier Units, Not Lowest; No More Recon Units

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stalker0

Baller Magnus
Proposal: When you change eras, your vassal each grant you units as a tribute. That unit is often equal to the lowest unit you have in your empire. So if I have machine guns, but I forgot to upgrade a musketman in the corner of my empire somewhere, they can give me a musketman.

the Proposal, that vassal units can only be non-recon units that you can make, rather than the lowest one you currently own.

Rationale: Its just silly to get such old throwaway units just because you forgot to upgrade a few units in the backwater of your civ.

EDIT: Updated the proposal to better clarify.
EDIT: Removed recon units as a viable option

Last edited:
What the code does is loops through each of the master's existing land combat units and adds them to a set of possibilities (with each unique type being granted equal weight). So if the master has a Warrior, four Archers, and two Scouts, there is an equal chance of a Warrior, Archer, or Scout being chosen for each spawn.

The units that the master currently has on the map are used, not the possible units it can build.

The code then creates (# of vassals * 2) units, with each unit being individually and randomly chosen from the set of possibilities.

@Stalker0 will you consider adding a possibility that the vassal can give their own unique units?
e.g. If you have a Musketman, your American vassal can give you Minuteman.

And then change your proposal so that all non-obsolete units (for the vassal - which means you should care about their advancement) can be given.

If not, I can open a counter-proposal.

@Stalker0 will you consider adding a possibility that the vassal can give their own unique units?
e.g. If you have a Musketman, your American vassal can give you Minuteman.

And then change your proposal so that all non-obsolete units (for the vassal - which means you should care about their advancement) can be given.

If not, I can open a counter-proposal.
I would prefer a counterproposal. I wasn't really looking to make vassal tribute "stronger", it just pisses me off when you get a damn xbow and you have gguns because you missed an upgrade. My proposal is more of a bug fix imo, whereas yours is a true mechanical change.

The proposal is to always give you the highest unit you can have, rather than the lowest one you currently own.
Highest unit in what? Power?

You may want to amend it to exclude scouting units as well.

@Stalker0 Okay. Is there a reason why you want to keep scouting units in the pool?

@Stalker0 Okay. Is there a reason why you want to keep scouting units in the pool?
my intention was purely to remove the obsolete unit aspect. I mean if people just want core military units I can update it, but yeah I was trying to minimize the change.

Most DLL functions that spawn X number of combat units exclude scouting units. That this one doesn't seems like an oversight to me.

Asking to know if I should withdraw my counterproposal. :)

Most DLL functions that spawn X number of combat units exclude scouting units. That this one doesn't seems like an oversight to me.

Asking to know if I should withdraw my counterproposal. :)
sure I will that to mine. I don't think people would mind not getting recon units from vassals.

Why does it use the master's list of units and not the vassals? The way it's explained above, sounds like vassal can give units for which it does not even have the technology to produce. Weird.
Presumably because Swordsmen wouldn't be useful if the master has Infantry. :)

Presumably because Swordsmen wouldn't be useful if the master has Infantry. :)
Is this not incentive as the master to build up your vassal? Treat the conquered people's like trash, get trash in return. Build them up and they build you up. I'd prefer that dynamic.

I agree with what azum said, the vassal should gift their UU when applicable. At least like one copy of it. one or two UUs isnt enough to be OP but is enough to be fun and give you some variation. And as Pdan says, fun>balance

Sponsored.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom