A Civ of my heritage: Peter Krešimir IV leads Croatia!

So, beyond my Alexander persona, I am actually a quarter Croatian in real life, but had little connection to that part of my heritage as my second-generation grandmother passed away before I truly got to know her.

Lately I was interested in the country, though, so after downloading this cool mod (which this design is 110% inspired by), I took a brief dive into some online Croatian history and produced this. Let me know what you think!

Leader: Peter Krešimir IV
The independent medieval Kingdom of Croatia reached its peak territory under Krešimir's reign, earning him the title of "the Great."

Leader Ability: Papal Ally
When declaring a Friendship or forming an Alliance, receive a Proselytizer Apostle of that Civilization’s founded or majority Religion. Finishing Holy Sites and Holy Site buildings Culture Bombs nearby tiles when in a Friendship or Alliance, or if the City has a Governor. Gain 3 Governor titles at Feudalism.

Historical context: Krešimir was one of the first rulers to welcome the Roman rite after the split between the Eastern and Western churches in 1054, making Croatia one of the first Catholic states. His aggressive adoption of Catholicism not only spawned protest (which he proved he could overpower), but earned him territory, both through diplomatic exchange and by appealing to the Dalmatian territory he was trying to integrate.

Additionally, the ban and banate system (which was at the time a method of local governance but would later become the title for Croatia's viceroy under their personal union with Hungary) grew in size and complexity under his rule, which is represented by his extra governor titles. These are awarded at Feudalism, which also emerged under his reign.

Civilization Ability: Duchies, Banates, Unions, and Independence
Equipping a Government for the first time immediately unlocks all Governments of the same tier, and there is no Anarchy when switching to a previous Government. +2 Amenities and +3 Loyalty in all cities when in an Alliance. When not in an Alliance, Cities generate Tourism equal to their Faith output, and +2 Tourism for each worked Coast tile.

Historical context: Croatia changed hands many times during its history, operating under several different types of governments under various different countries, but their core territory remained surprisingly consistent. In Croatia today, Tourism is a huge part of their economy. This ability lets you cycle between governments and alliances, but also stand tall on your own.

Unique Unit: Banderium
Okay I'm kind of cheating on this and the infrastructure but I wanted to complete this design without extensive research so here we go.

A Man-at-Arms replacement unlocked at Civil Service instead of Apprenticeship. Has +3 Combat Strength and no Maintenance Cost when trained in a City with a Governor. +5 Combat Strength during defensive wars, or wars against powers with a higher military score than you (the combat strength number displayed in the HUD ribbon).

Historical context: This one is pretty light, but here we go. In the medieval era, Croatia's military was organized into banderiums (a Hungarian concept), a unit of troops under the banner of a nobleman (such as a ban- hey look, synergy!). Croatia persistently fought off the Ottoman Empire, even as their ally/confederate kingdom of Hungary fell to them in in the 1500s.

Unique Infrastructure: Konoba
A local deli/tavern unlocked at Animal Husbandry.

Yields a base +1 Food and +1 Food for each adjacent Fish or Crabs resource. Yields +1 Culture for each adjacent Luxury, Cattle, or Sheep tile. Cannot be built adjacent to each other.

Food adjacency doubles at Currency. Culture adjacency triples at Medieval Faires. Earn Tourism from Culture at Flight.

Context: A konoba is a small family-owned restaurant where home-made foods are served. Originated as cellars for wine, cheese, and cured meats, and evolved into places for parties with food, until they became the restaurants they are today. Many are still family-owned and operated, often serving fish from the nearby Adriatic sea.

As Peter Krešimir IV, forge the faith of your people and grow their borders through your allies and local leaders. Choose alliances with discretion, and break away when the time is right to flourish on your own. Fight off invaders with the armies of your noblemen, as your people fish, drink, and be merry all the while.

Let me know what you thought of this fun little thought experiment/passion project of mine. I hope you had as much fun reading as I did making it.

(edit:) Forgot to mention Krešimir's agenda! Here it is:

King of Dalmatia and Croatia: Likes Civs who share a religion with their Friends and Allies. Sees Friends and Allies of opposing religions as missed potential and failures of diplomacy.

Last edited:
I love this! Although I don't know if Croatia will be likely to appear in VII, I now would like it to!

I love this! Although I don't know if Croatia will be likely to appear in VII, I now would like it to!
I doubt they will as a proper Civ (unless Civ VII gets the treatment that VI did with near endless DLC!), but it'd be neat to see them as a minor faction/city-state!

Top Bottom