A couple questions on unit healing

Thronsen

Chieftain
A couple quick question on unit healing for the experts.

1. Do different types of healing work together? For example, when you have both Medic I (heal 10%) and Woodsman 3 (heal 15%), do units in that stack heal 25%? Or how about when you have Medic I and the tile next to it has medic 2? Or when a single unit has both Medic I and Medic 3?

2. In order to heal, the damaged unit has to not move. But can the medic unit be moved into that spot in order for the extra healing to take place that turn?

3. What is the general background heal rate of your own territory? Is it different in cities then in random terrain? Does this work in conjunction with the unit promotions.

If anyone knows off the top of their heads, would appreciate any information.

Thanks alot.

1. Only the highest healing is used, multiple heals on different units do not stack.

So a woodsman III will heal your army +15%
if you have another medic I unit no change
but a medic I + III will heal +25%
and a medic I+ III +woodsmanIII will heal an amazing 40% (the ultramedic general)

2. Yes

The base heal rates for teritory are as follows:

20% non rioting your/ally city
15% your/ally territory or rioting city
10% neutral territory
5% enemy territory

Unit promotions are added to this, but still follow 1. and so are building bonuses (hospital +10%)

Something interesting about the above is that you do not need a GG to get woodsman III + medic I despite the fact that it heals the same tile equally to medic III, although it might be a tad difficult to pull off.

If you are Montezuma, you can have it with a ridiculously easy 3 promotions (medic, woods II, woods III).

Any aggressive leader can do it with 4 promos, and that's actually not all that unreasonable when you're in the renaissance but can still train melee.

Otherwise it's a bit hard. It's worth noting however that woods III is slightly better than medic I, and is therefore your best healer unless you can get the medic III off a GG or mix promos on one unit as above. If your early exploring warriors get a little lucky they may have access to this promo from fights. I wouldn't go out of the way for this though - medic I in its base form is VERY easy to get, and trying to get a woods III early and neglecting healing beforehand isn't worth it IMO.

If all of that is too complicated for you, you can get by nice and easy by just making a medic I, making sure it won't be chosen as a defender, and later just put a GG on it for medic III. That is usually plenty effective.

This is the guy you're looking for

Also, I believe the Combat healing (not sure which level it comes at) can also stack with medic and woody healing. But that is a lot of promotions.

Combat IV "heals extra 10% per turn in neutral lands".
Combat V "heals extra 10% per turn in enemy lands".
From the word "extra" it would appear that these do stack with the Medic promotions, so "Medicus Maximus" isn't at the limit yet.

And if your Scout gets experience from a couple of huts, he's up to 10XP and can be given Combat 1, Medic 1 and Medic 2. Worth upgrading to Explorer later, when he can not only keep up with your advancing armour but also neglect the forests and hills which have been carefully placed in your path to delay the advance.

They can with WB, I bet

Combat IV "heals extra 10% per turn in neutral lands".
Combat V "heals extra 10% per turn in enemy lands".
From the word "extra" it would appear that these do stack with the Medic promotions, so "Medicus Maximus" isn't at the limit yet.

True, but the Combat IV and V healing only affect the unit with those promos whereas the Medic series and Woodsman III affect other units in the same (or adjacent) tile. Medicus Maximus there is at the optimum level for healing others; Combat IV and V would only help heal himself faster. The other people with him are still only getting the 40hp bonus regardless of his Combat level, and -- for most of us -- units which can heal the whole stack are the goal.

I read somewhere on the forums that a hospital in a city is also increasing unit healing. If so, can anyone confirm this and tell me the rate of healing added?

True, but the Combat IV and V healing only affect the unit with those promos
Hmmm. Never looked that closely, just assumed it affected other units.
But still a Combat IV unit with a super medic alongside (and march) does not fear damage at all.

LOL @ Medicus Maximus! Nice name...

I'm having a hard time to understand all this, but I had similar questions.

If I understand correctly:
Only ONE unit can be the medic in a stack. So having five medics on a stack, or having a woodsman III and another medic is not going to make the stack heal faster. However, if you have one unit who has all these promos, his healing abilities will be combined.

Is this correct?

My medic scouts/chariots/explorers pretty much never get upgraded - it almost ensures they are never called upon to defend and therefore don't die unexpectedly.

The problem is that your mounted units or explorers can't get woody III. And for most civs the first 2 move unit that can have both is mech inf. Though you could just use another promotion for morale.
Impi rules for this role, though. 2 moves + mobility, is strong enough to get some xp, while obsoleting fairly quickly.

Top Bottom