A Few Random Questions

Snerk

Smeghead
1) Do forts and/or citadels give bonuses to units with the "no defensive terrain bonuses" promotion, stationed in one?

2) Do built factories still work the same if you lose your coal resources?

3) I've noticed my missionaries and perhaps also my inquisitors can suffer from "attrition". What's that, and what is causing it?

4) Difference between city hit points and strength?

5) Destroyers have a promotion called "Interception (40)", what does the number mean? (except forty, smartarse!)

Cheers!

1. Don't believe so, no defensive bonus means just that.

2. No idea but I think it still eats up a coal resource (so any coal based units suffer a strength penalty)

3. Attrition means they are weaker (convert/cleanse less pop) and it occurs when their turn is ended inside closed borders. (On a side note Inquisitors should be staying near your cities.)

4. City HP is how much damage a city can take, strength is how much damage they can deal.

5. I believe that 40 is either the percent chance of a successful intercept, or the damage it deals on intercept.

1: Good question, never really used the feature, but I would guess no.

2: Factories needs coal to work at full capacity.

3: Your missionary can die if he stays in a country without Open borders, therefore the attrition. He might weakly convert one city, but before he converts the next, he might be dead.

4: City HP is how much damage a city can take, strength is how much damage they can deal. (copied from Snerk)

5: 40 is percent chance. Not actual damage.

Allow me to add some extra information on 4:

City strength and hp is comparable to that of any other unit.
HP (hit points) is how much damage an unit or city can take.
Strength represents both offensive and defensive power.

A unit with lower strength will be obliterated by a unit with a much higher strength, the same applies to cities and attacking units.
This is why siege is so good against cities because their strength gets a multiplier when attacking cities, yet at the same time siege units don't get a multiplier to their strength when defending against cities, thus cities can bombard them pretty badly.

2: Factories needs coal to work at full capacity.

Nope. psycicemanstated it correctly. each factory consumes 1 coal, so if you have factories and are short coal, any coal-requiring military units (ironclads) will suffer the resource penalty, but your factories will hum along at full production.

Nope. psycicemanstated it correctly. each factory consumes 1 coal, so if you have factories and are short coal, any coal-requiring military units (ironclads) will suffer the resource penalty, but your factories will hum along at full production.
Even if you lose all your coal?

Yup; in fact in Vanilla when I didn't start coal it was common for me to buy a few units, build all the factories I wanted and then just let the deal expire.

There you go- shows you can learn something from most threads. I have played more hours than I care to admit and this is news to me. It does seem rather silly that you can't build factories without coal but you can run them without coal. I far preferred the previous system of a separate power plant for coal or uranium. (I won't start on my hobby horse about how you should be able to stockpile resources).

For what it's worth, same applies to aluminum for Hydro Plants and uranium for Nuclear Plants.

For all of these, if you lose your coal/aluminum/uranium, your factory or power plant continues to work fine. But, the first items of that resource that you reacquire get allocated to the factory/plant. So, for example, if you got 2 aluminum from a short-lived CS alliance and built 2 hydro plants, then lost the 2 aluminum (alliance lapses), then later acquired 5 aluminum (maybe a trade with another civ), the first 2 aluminum will be allocated to the 2 hydro plants, leaving you with only 3 usable aluminum for, e.g., spaceship factories, or more hydro plants, or stealth bombers, etc.

And if you want another glitch with resources - gift a GDR to a CS

You get your uranium back and the CS gets a working robot

Same with aviation units - you gift a CS a bomber - you get the oil back and they get a working bomber (even if they do not have oil)

And if you want another glitch with resources - gift a GDR to a CS

You get your uranium back and the CS gets a working robot

Same with aviation units - you gift a CS a bomber - you get the oil back and they get a working bomber (even if they do not have oil)
But will they fight with a penalty modifier if the CS does not have the required resource?

Also, anybody know this:
1) Do forts and/or citadels give bonuses to units with the "no defensive terrain bonuses" promotion, stationed in one?

Top Bottom