A few short(ish) questions about FFH2 mechanics

ToastedHCL

Always modded, never vanilla
Hey guys,

I just started playing FFH2 a few weeks ago and am absolutely loving it. However, there are a few things that I'm pretty confused about. I should mentioned that I'm playing the modmod Extramodmod continued 0.6.0-beta8. I did try going through the changelogs for the modmods it combines (EITB and MNAI) but didn't see anything that would affect my questions, although I could have missed something. If anyone could give me some answers on any of following, that would be great.

1. My rust spell says "can be resisted (+20%)". This obviously seems like it's indicating that there's an 80% chance of the spell working and a 20% chance of failure. However, it doesn't seem to be working nearly that frequently sometimes. I was trying to use it on a stack of Pyre Zombies and it seemed to only affect a few at once, which was far fewer than 80% of course. Also, I tried using it on an enemy Bambur about 6-7 times and it never worked on him. He did have magic resistance but that shouldn't make him immune to this right? Is this all attributable to simple bad rng? I should also mentioned that I'm playing as the Amurites (so I have the potency promotion) with 2 metamagic sources, so that should be another -30% chance in total for my spells to be resisted.

2. How did my enemy's Bambur get a medic promotion? I thought that only disciple units could get medic? On a similar note, why didn't the enemy Bambur get diseased when I attacked him with my diseased corpse? The odds were very bad on that attacked (7 vs 16.5 or something like that) to be fair, so maybe it was because the diseased corpse never got to hit him before he died?

3. Is there any way to see what exactly promotions an enemy unit has beyond looking at each icon next to their unit names? It is a bit difficult to remember what each icon means, especially when they have 10-14 of them and the icons are so small. I assume not and that that's just a civilization 4 game limitation?

4. Do Sheaim units have a defense bonus in their borders? I thought I read something about that somewhere on here but I haven't seen that mentioned in the latest version of the manual/civpedia.

Thanks so much.

Last edited:
1. I'm not sure, but yeah, RNG will just absolutely screw you sometimes.

2. I know Arthendain starts with Medic, let me spin up a game real quick and see what promotions Bambur can get. I'll edit in my findings. EDIT: Bambur doesn't start with Medic I, but he can learn it! It doesn't seem to be one he can learn from leveling, but Civilopedia does say he can know it. Maybe he got the "mutant apple" lair event that mutates the unit?

3. The Military Advisor screen (F5 keyboard shortcut, sword and shield icon in the top right) will let you get details on any of your units and any foreign units within your current line of sight. I'll see if that provides any text names (again, will edit). EDIT: Sadly, it does not. But it does at least make it so you can see the promotions of every unit in a stack, and not just the first six or seven. Click "show individual units" to get this level of detail.

4. The defense bonus in the vanilla FFH game is the Homeland promotion granted to units if their leader has the Defender trait. If one of the modmods you're running adds that leader trait to a Sheaim leader, then yes (if you pick said leader).

Last edited:
1. I'm not sure, but yeah, RNG will just absolutely screw you sometimes.

2. I know Arthendain starts with Medic, let me spin up a game real quick and see what promotions Bambur can get. I'll edit in my findings. EDIT: Bambur doesn't start with Medic I, but he can learn it! It doesn't seem to be one he can learn from leveling, but Civilopedia does say he can know it. Maybe he got the "mutant apple" lair event that mutates the unit?

3. The Military Advisor screen (F5 keyboard shortcut, sword and shield icon in the top right) will let you get details on any of your units and any foreign units within your current line of sight. I'll see if that provides any text names (again, will edit). EDIT: Sadly, it does not. But it does at least make it so you can see the promotions of every unit in a stack, and not just the first six or seven. Click "show individual units" to get this level of detail.

4. The defense bonus in the vanilla FFH game is the Homeland promotion granted to units if their leader has the Defender trait. If one of the modmods you're running adds that leader trait to a Sheaim leader, then yes (if you pick said leader).

Thanks so much for your response!

1. I found out that all spells have a base chance of 20% to be resisted (that's a very important game mechanic detail that's not explained anywhere except on a somewhat obscure forum thread afaik). I also missed the fact that the hero promotion gives another 20% chance to resist spells. So that would explain why it didn't work on some of the pyre zombies right away. And all together that would have been a 30% chance for Bambur to be resisting the spell given my promotions. RNG still screwed me I guess, but way less than I'd thought it had.

2. That makes sense.

3. Yooo that's sweet...I actually had never tried clicking the icons for other leaders in that screen. I'm a dingus for not having known about that lool. That's very powerful and useful.

4. Actually "Extramodmod continued" (in this case based on an EitB change) removes the homeland promotion altogether cuz it sucks lol. After thinking about this, I am guessing that the person was assuming that the Sheaim would be following the Ashen Veil (which makes sense given that it helps to raise the AC a lot). Having hell terrain spread into their territory early would then give their demon units a bonus on that terrain.

Top Bottom