[BNW] A great start by pure luck

CIVLOYALIST

Chieftain
For the last 3 months since I started playing CIV5, this is the best land ever drawn by the game engine.

Attachments

• Civ5Screen0001.jpg
    Civ5Screen0001.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 641
Joke right? ;)

Yeah that's pretty mediocre. I've hard far worse though, that site is pretty salvageable by moving a turn or two. The southern coast might be better. And those inlad hills are near a couple wine and a wheat. Plus, super high chance you got one or two horses with all that bare flatland. Take animal husbandry first and it'll probably look a LOT better.

Should have moved one tile to the north [west, if wanting sheep; east, if wanting additional wine]. That way you'd be able to work the resources at the top while still working the wheat and the southern wine. All in the 3rd ring, sure, but it wouldn't be long until the borders expanded there [they almost always prioritize resources]. Such move would mean no river, but that's not too important in BNW, since river-cities only lose the watermill and the late-game hydro plant.

Also, like the man said above, iron and horses are likely hidden around, probably closer than you expect.

20161020232758_1.jpg 20161020232935_1.jpg The development is not that good though. Possibly I will have to restart the game and play it from Turn 0 again.

Man.... that start is real bad... although it has decent settling spots if you consider the luxury options: wine from capital, copper-marble-dyes from expansion.

If you have the guts to move your settler on the first turn AND to go early warmonger, I suggest this:

That scheme places all cities 4 tiles apart from each other, which I love. I don't know build orders very well, but I think 2 points in honor for dat general, plus archery for some 4 archers to siege valetta and kongo asap. You're so close to William and Elizabeth that they'll likely meet you very early, and thus hate your warmongerng, so just cripple them as hard as possible, since you'll be enemies forever [warmonger decay rate is ridiculously slow in this game].

If this is a small continent with just the 3 of you, it might be possible to eliminate them withou the world noticing. Raze everything but the capitals, and re-settle if/when possible as the sources of hapiness increase [zoos, social policies, maybe religion stuff like pagodas].

That's if you want those horses a lot, and to make sure the AI don't push 2 military city-states upon you - which they will do if/when they DoW you. You can always just settle those 4 spots I marked and go the bread'n butter "peaceful 4-cities tradition" that everyone talks about.

--

EDIT: lol, I just noticed the roman warrior; that continent may be bigger than we think and you just got the short end of the stick. If you're playing Immortal/Dity, just reload your game, bro. Otherwise, settle those spots I marked and go peaceful; hope that William makes a decent religion and stick with it.

Last edited:
20161022001833_1.jpg
Thanks mate.
I may disappoint you. Actually I have deserted the game and started a new one.

This one is much better. I razed and is burning down one of Napoleon's cities, taking the opportunity that Carthage has just declared war against him!

I just have another quick question here: About the 3 rings from city centre rule. Is there a better UI which can be used to easily calculate the rings visually because I intend to settle my third city and don't want its rings overlapping on Kyoto.

I don't like that start simply because Polinesia's capital is absurdely close. For me, that's insta-war from turn 1, and any plans for peace go out of the window because BNW punishes war too hard with the penalties.

And the sob had the guts to forward settle you! Preposterous!

PS: no idea about you last question, maybe there are mods for that.

I have a quick answer for that.
To the left of the minimap (in the bottom right) is a hexigonal icon. Click that and it makes counting hex distances a lot easier (especially in desert).
You still have to actually count them tho :(

Bonus point, playing around with the highlight options can also make resourses easier to find sometimes. Experement with them sometime :)

Thanks for all of your replies and recommendations. I've learnt from them.

I want to gather some further opinions. Given the number of hours I've spent on CIV 5, I consider myself being indulged into the game. And I know there is a community patch available. I've also watched a few videos on the patched version of the game and seen the whole UI is changed and the tech tree is almost different from the original game.

If I switch to the community version, will I be able to get used to it? And what are the strengths or advantages the patched version have over the original version? Anyone willing to enligten me upon this aspect?

You can use Enhanced User Interface which changes the UI around but doesn't affect the game play and is thus allowable for HOF (Hall Of Fame) games. With EUI you can see a city's owned tiles highlight. Worked tiles will be green, unworked tiles will be orange. In the city view, unworked tiles are light blue while overlapping unworked tiles are a dark blue. When a settler is active you can put your mouse pointer on any tile and the full 3 tile radius outline will appear. Any tiles that would overlap with tiles potentially belonging to another city will be highlighted orange.

FYI: As I understand it, there is a version of EUI within the community patch. The only question is if you want your games to be HOF compatible.

I've never used the community patch as I want my games to be able to be used for the HOF. I've only recently started using EUI and while it does take some getting used to, I am getting more comfortable with the changes. The tech tree itself hasn't changed but unless you are holding shift to create a chain of techs to research, clicking a tech will automatically close the tech tree.

Top Bottom