A Guide To Great Wonders And How To Use Them

Utopia, Military Academies allow you to build the Army unit. Costs 400 shields. Petagon increases Army size to four units, Hero Epic increases probability of Leader from 1/16 to 1/12 from each Elite victory. NB you can only have one Leader at a time. As AI is a poor user of Armies, if you are building them, it should be a sure and certain victory.

HangingChadDad, press F7 and see if UN has already been built by someone else.

Tim, is the UN not buildable when diplomatic victory is not enabled?
That would be the first game mechanic except victory that is affected by a victory type being enabled that I know of...

Caesar of Rome said:
HangingChadDad, press F7 and see if UN has already been built by someone else.

Of course I checked this.. lol.. but since i didn't say, it was a reasonable question.. hehe

Well I see TimBentley seems to have found the answer.. might be worth editing the "list" of wonders to note that DIP VICTORY must be ON. Now my next dumb question is HOW!!??

I have been through the doc's to no avail. Where does one turn this (and other stuff) on and off? I see no place to do this.. surely I don't have to use CivEdit for it?!

Thx for the help guys

No, it is when you start a new game on the second setup page (beyond the field where you select your opponents).There are checkboxes for the different victory types; just disable (uncheck) diplomatic victory here.Of course, you need to start a new game...no way to change it for your current game.

Doc Tsiolkovski said:
Another interesting tidbit about the UN is that it can be built under mobilization, despite being only COM (not MIL).

lol.. i've no clue what ur talking about .. I know what "mobilization" is but not COM and MIL.. and what does it mean anyways? :blush:

Ok, about the basics:
Any structure can carry the 'flags' of one or more traits - Commercial (COM), Scientific (SCI) and so on (check the editor to see).
For a wonder, this is what triggers a Golden Age when building it (if you fulfill the traits of your Civ).
For non-wonder structures, it also defines which improvements are cheaper for those traits with a bonus - all SCI improvements are half-priced for SCI Civs, and so on. Note IND, EXP and COM doesn't mean anything here.
They maintenance costs of all structures with the COM flag are zero when you own Smith's Trading Company.
Under Mobilization, only structures with the MIL flag can be built (and units, of course). The annyoing part here is that the Heroic Epic and Forbidden Palace are not MIL...
The only exception to this rule are the Palace, and the UN (a wonder with only the COM flag).

Good overview of wonders, but I think author under estimates the value of tourist atraction: Pyramids, Collosus, Mausoleum will bring up to 14 gold later in the game which is significant bonus. That's why I usually consider them.

Even if you aren't planing on a diplomatic victory the UN is a good wonder to have especially if the AIs don't like you. I think it is so good because you control if there are votes for a diplomatic victory. Because if it is built by someone else they probably will hold a vote and you might be not be prepared. And then you will probably lose.

You spelled civilization wrong every time. Also, check all of the other words that you have ending in -sation, because they are probably supposed to end in -zation.

You spelled civilization wrong every time. Also, check all of the other words that you have ending in -sation, because they are probably supposed to end in -zation.

Do you realize it's a 2004 topic, right?

The guy's last login it was at Sep 10, 2007 08:46 AM

Then no, he is not gonna read this, pay more attention next time before you post in a thread.

I want to point out that JS Bachs Cathedral, Sistine Chapel and other happiness producing Wonders produce content faces and not happy faces. This is something I noticed everywhere in the article. Please fix the typo. A very nice writeup by the way.

Does anyone else think that the Statue of Zeus is overpowered? The 3-2-2 Ancient Cavalry would be powerful enough with normal HP; the additional HP (resulting in 6 HP Elites and potentially 18 HP AC Armies) makes a swarm of ACs a nearly unstoppable offensive weapon in the Ancient Age and early Middle Age.

You can build the (cheap) SoZ early if you beeline to Mathematics as soon as you spot Ivory, and it stays in effect pumping out units all the way until Metallurgy. I usually get at least 30 ACs from the statue, and its not uncommon to wind up with 40 or so in total. They remain useful as defensive weapons until Replaceable Parts, and I have often used ACs to destroy an AI's invading Cavalry stack.

I like to use the Germans, and I find the Statue of Zeus to be the perfect way to make up for the Germans' slow start. I typically play normal sized, 70% water continents on Monarch. On many occasions, I have been able to conquer my entire home continent using nothing but my ACs. That way, I can conquer the continent while simultaneously building the infrastructure of my core cities; in other words, the ToZ allows you to play as both a warmonger and a builder at the same time! After securing my continent, I can race ahead in the tech race and launch a Panzer-led conquest of the rest of the world.

I also usually try to get the Knights Templar to keep it out of the AI's hands, but it is far less useful than the SoZ. The duration of effect is shorter, so you usually get far fewer Crusaders than you do AC (I typically get between 8-12 Crusaders). The 5/3/1 Crusaders, while nice units to have, aren't as game breaking as the 3/2/2, 6HP ACs.

Does anyone else think that the Statue of Zeus is overpowered? The 3-2-2 Ancient Cavalry would be powerful enough with normal HP; the additional HP (resulting in 6 HP Elites and potentially 18 HP AC Armies) makes a swarm of ACs a nearly unstoppable offensive weapon in the Ancient Age and early Middle Age.

You can build the (cheap) SoZ early if you beeline to Mathematics as soon as you spot Ivory, and it stays in effect pumping out units all the way until Metallurgy. I usually get at least 30 ACs from the statue, and its not uncommon to wind up with 40 or so in total. They remain useful as defensive weapons until Replaceable Parts, and I have often used ACs to destroy an AI's invading Cavalry stack.

I like to use the Germans, and I find the Statue of Zeus to be the perfect way to make up for the Germans' slow start. I typically play normal sized, 70% water continents on Monarch. On many occasions, I have been able to conquer my entire home continent using nothing but my ACs. That way, I can conquer the continent while simultaneously building the infrastructure of my core cities; in other words, the ToZ allows you to play as both a warmonger and a builder at the same time! After securing my continent, I can race ahead in the tech race and launch a Panzer-led conquest of the rest of the world.

I also usually try to get the Knights Templar to keep it out of the AI's hands, but it is far less useful than the SoZ.

Yes you are right . The soz is definitely overpowered but that adds an extra goal sort of that one tries to achieve in the early game. Things can get really tough he the AI gets the soz . I remember losing 4 swordsmen to a single ac. Even this adds to the fun as it forces one to change his strategy from building to hoarding units to get the soz city. Overpowered it is, yet it still is useful to increase the twists and turns of the game.

It is an adequate strategy to rush out of the antique towards cavalry. Than the time between finishing SoZ and getting metallurgy might go down to 30 turns or 6 ACs worth 10 shields each after disbanding. Knights Templar however might have a longer time of producing one unit every 5 turns.

I rather agree that SoZ is very powerful if you play for it and have the ivory. And both wonders are helpful in reducing shields allocated for regular military production. So they are a great choice for playing as a builder. But those wonders have their downsides, too. AC cannot be upgraded, which is considerable downside compared to knights. Templars however are slow and cannot be upgraded, too.

As the SoZ has strong dependency on ivory i donnot think it is overpowered. Cut the ivory and no AC will appear.

Top Bottom