A little Christmas quiz

Richard Cribb

He does monologues
First of all, I want to wish the chess community a Merry Christmas. I haven't been as active here as I wanted and even had to forfeit the championship when having a won position in the first game. I can just hope that I will be more present in the year to come.
Anyway, I went ahead and made a small Christmas quiz. It consists of 8 positions from games between grandmasters. It is also not very difficult, so I think everybody who gives it a try should solve some, while I expect the strongest players here to get a perfect score.
In position #1,5,6 and 8 Black is to move and win, in #2,3,4 and 7 White is to move and win. This doesn't necessarily mean instant mate, but in some cases just a decisive advantage.You get 2 points for each you solve correctly. With that I mean that you give the correct first move and back it up with some analysis. And please, turn that blasted computer off. Besides there is 2 bonus points to those who can tell me what the 8 positions have in common.
Those who want to participate can PM their answers to me before 13.1.2011. I can't promise any prizes, but there is always the honour.
Happy solving!

Thanks Luce, I solved the first one last night, started on the 2nd but was got too tired to continue, I thought I saw the basic idea but couldn't calculate it all. Some morning when I can manage to squeeze out 7+ hours of sleep I'll get cracking on them again.

Fun idea, I remember akots used to have annual puzzle contests like this but he disappeared into the sunset.

Thanks Luce, I solved the first one last night, started on the 2nd but was got too tired to continue, I thought I saw the basic idea but couldn't calculate it all. Some morning when I can manage to squeeze out 7+ hours of sleep I'll get cracking on them again.
Actually I expect you to be one of those solving all 8, all the more since you apart from being a strong player also are one who is constantly in practice. Don't know about the bonus question, though.

Fun idea, I remember akots used to have annual puzzle contests like this but he disappeared into the sunset.
Yes I remember I won a couple of those. If my memory doesn't fail me (which it tends to do these days, alack) those were a bit more difficult than mine. This is actually that sort of puzzles I typically give to my students.

Actually I expect you to be one of those solving all 8, all the more since you apart from being a strong player also are one who is constantly in practice. Don't know about the bonus question, though.
That's a lot of pressure! I'll see if I can crack them all out at once, maybe next week when I won't be working & will have a solid 4-5 hours away from the "wife" and kid. :D

Cool...

I solved the first three but started to get tired around the fourth... maybe I'll pick it up later.

That's a lot of pressure! I'll see if I can crack them all out at once, maybe next week when I won't be working & will have a solid 4-5 hours away from the "wife" and kid. :D
Not really. I have faith in you. I also happening to be quite a demanding person when it comes to chess training. It is for your own good. I am just as strict with myself.

Cool...

I solved the first three but started to get tired around the fourth... maybe I'll pick it up later.
You did famously so far, so I urge you to continue.
And just to make a couple of things clear. You might submit in parts and also correct some of your former answers if necessary. If there will be joint winners, there will be an extra round tie-breaker. And that one will be quite difficult.

Not really. I have faith in you. I also happening to be quite a demanding person when it comes to chess training. It is for your own good. I am just as strict with myself.
That's good, I have an event I need to train for. I'll start a thread about it in the next few days.

Wow, thanks for setting this up!
I believe I have solved first four. Some were pretty easy, some quite sneaky.
Let's see whether I can crack the other half later today.

That's good, I have an event I need to train for. I'll start a thread about it in the next few days.
That would be interesting. I'll see if I can contribute with something. I didn't play much this year due to health problems but I managed to go through they year without losing a game while facing partially tough opponents. This wouldn't have been possible if I hadn't done some homework, of course.

Wow, thanks for setting this up!
I believe I have solved first four. Some were pretty easy, some quite sneaky.
Let's see whether I can crack the other half later today.
I expect you to solve it all as well, in particular after having seen that game you recently played against Narz. You recovered admirably after a frankly speaking awful opening. You do indeed have the potential to improve handsomely if you just give some more consideration to the first few moves.

I expect you to solve it all as well, in particular after having seen that game you recently played against Narz. You recovered admirably after a frankly speaking awful opening. You do indeed have the potential to improve handsomely if you just give some more consideration to the first few moves.
Thank you - I am personally even more pleased with this game against punkbass - I did even worse in the beginning, literally hanging a pawn AND a knight for nothing, yet turned the tables completely in the midgame. My repertoire of opening ideas leaves much to be desired indeed, probably a sign of my complete lack of chess "education".

Anyway, I sent the first seven answers. Seems you left the most difficult for the last one - just can't see it. :scan: Seems I need a break for now.

Thank you - I am personally even more pleased with this game against punkbass - I did even worse in the beginning, literally hanging a pawn AND a knight for nothing, yet turned the tables completely in the midgame. My repertoire of opening ideas leaves much to be desired indeed, probably a sign of my complete lack of chess "education".

Anyway, I sent the first seven answers. Seems you left the most difficult for the last one - just can't see it. :scan: Seems I need a break for now.
Yes, that was a real Marshall swindle.:goodjob:
You are still a young man and if you have the intention to keep playing competitive chess, just a small opening repertoire is a very good investment. You will easily get a couple of hundred rating points with very little effort the moment you have one.
If my health doesn't fail me, I might start to post more heavy material on this subforum for instruction. And if the tournaments in the future get another format I might at last finish one. This year was particulary vexing, losing on time in a position where I had analysed it all down to a forced win. But then again, I might always challenge the reigning champion to a match, I suppose...
Your answers were quite good, but can be improved. So far you scored 8 which give you the provisoric lead. I am convinced that you will improve on that.
Regarding the positions, in my opinion they are about equal concerning difficulty. But since they are a bit different in nature, they give a good indication of the strength and weakness of every particular solver.

Someone remind me to finish by bumping this thread that I only have a few more days. I haven't really had three solid hours to myself where I wasn't busy or distracted or tired but I should early next week.

Very well, here is a :bump:.
There hasn't been any more submissions, which means that Yeekim still is in the lead.
Now I wonder if I made this quiz too easy or too difficult...

hmm, if the snowstorm tonight/tomorrow is really bad I won't have to goto work & can do these tomorrow during my daughter's nap. Otherwise I may have to wait until Thurs.

I finished the first four (I enjoyed #4, my first plan was wrong but then I found it).

I'm already late but if Mr. Cribb will give me a few more days I will finish the last four.

I deserve penalization of course for my tardiness.

First of all my apologies to messieurs Yeekim and Narz. I have received PM s from them regarding thius quiz but am too tired to look closer into it before tomorrow.
So, all things considered the final deadline is extended to midnight 19.1.2011. Hope that this will also give eventual latecomers a last chance.

Top Bottom