A New Dawn

I am playing my 3rd game. I like the many new things in it. I have some remarks:
1. Scientific is way too powerfull as said above. 100% science boost is just too much. I also discovered all religions but one on Emp level playinf as Taisong and all of them on monarch.
2. with all those wonders, stone become too powerfull as a strategic resource.
3. discovering pottery makes food less plentiful as it obseletes gathering camp and creates no new and better building!!! same for calendar. It's just weird to see my cities less starving beccause i discovered a new tech.
4. Armory is also wayy to powerful and calls for cheating
5. the tech tree does not show perfectly, it takes too much place for no good reason.
6. what did I do to have 18 points with the Khmer and 51 with Saddam because "of past event that proved my good nature to them !!!!!!" . I actually decmared war on Saddam and took one of his cities!!! (see file atached)

View attachment 305861

Another possible bug, or just a bad design choice: Slavery riots now happen no matter the population. It used to be that there'd be a chance of a revolt if your pop was over 4 while under slavery, now it can happen in cities as small as at least 2 pop, and this seems to happen every 10-15 turns or so on marathon. This is -irritating-.

So far this mod... has some insane balance issues. No matter the difficulty I play at I find that I can throttle the enemy leaders.
1. I can get every wonder, nab every religion, etc. when playing on Marathon.
2. Scientific and Imperialistic are way too overpowered (the former gives way too much of a scientific boost, and the latter has that rediculous unit cost -25% bonus),
3. Dualism is lacking a graphic,
4. there's way too many early buildings that you're going to be nullifying with early techs, ...
5. Really, in short, you seriously need to sit down and rebalance things. I know that, as a modder, there's the temptation to just keep adding and adding, but if you keep doing that without regard to balance you just end up with an unplayable mod with a lot of content.
Thanks for the input. In my next patch I will change some things, hopefully for the good of the game.
1. The idea of getting all religions early was/is more variety i.e every time Buddhism will be the dominant religion.
2. That can be toned down easily
3. Never noticed that, screenshot?
4. I did that on purpose :p
5. I'll see what I can do in the next patch

I am playing my 3rd game. I like the many new things in it. I have some remarks:
1. Scientific is way too powerfull as said above. 100% science boost is just too much. I also discovered all religions but one on Emp level playinf as Taisong and all of them on monarch.
2. with all those wonders, stone become too powerfull as a strategic resource.
3. discovering pottery makes food less plentiful as it obseletes gathering camp and creates no new and better building!!! same for calendar. It's just weird to see my cities less starving beccause i discovered a new tech.
4. Armory is also wayy to powerful and calls for cheating
5. the tech tree does not show perfectly, it takes too much place for no good reason.
6. what did I do to have 18 points with the Khmer and 51 with Saddam because "of past event that proved my good nature to them !!!!!!" . I actually decmared war on Saddam and took one of his cities!!! (see file atached)

View attachment 305861
Again thanks for the input.
1. AlmightyDF also noticed this. I'll have to rethink this a bit
2. True, I can not deny that. Did that on purpose to make wonderbuilding quicker
3. Progress comes at a cost. For pottery you get the granary, well ahum... calendar you're right
4. cheating?
5. The tech-tree is indeed long. I tried to avoid lines crossing each other and the techs. I also tried to display all the stuff that you can get with the tech.
6. I suspect that's the Famine-event and I consider that a game-breaker. In the next patch that event won't even trigger unless you've discovered Agriculture. I also decreased iWeight from 100 to 10, so it triggers 10 times less. BTW I am aware that there are more events that I consider game-breaking and need to be adjusted like Forest Fire, Coastal Reef, Slave Revolt and probably some others. These will be adressed in the next patch.

Another possible bug, or just a bad design choice: Slavery riots now happen no matter the population. It used to be that there'd be a chance of a revolt if your pop was over 4 while under slavery, now it can happen in cities as small as at least 2 pop, and this seems to happen every 10-15 turns or so on marathon. This is -irritating-.
I admit slave riots happen way too often. I'll change I weight from 200 to let's say 20, decreasing frequency with a factor 10.
I haven't changed iMinPopulation. It's still 4, just like vanilla BTS :confused:

I've played a few turns and I get a warning message every turn saying "your population of (say) 5% exceeds the domination limit of 0%" and a similar one for land area. is there anyway to get rid of this?

Hi still playing the big map, it plays slowly so drop into it every so often. I have just been play an arcipelago map. I really need to up the difficulty as I am kicking ass, but its got to a point where its crashing to desktop. I have all the defaults to the BUG mod. I have stuck the game up to 6000 turn limit. I have attached the save. Sorry to be a pain. :)

View attachment NewDawnCrash2.rar

Hi still playing the big map, it plays slowly so drop into it every so often. I have just been play an arcipelago map. I really need to up the difficulty as I am kicking ass, but its got to a point where its crashing to desktop. I have all the defaults to the BUG mod. I have stuck the game up to 6000 turn limit. I have attached the save. Sorry to be a pain. :)

View attachment 306068
Thanks, got it. I'll see what I can do ;)
Problem with VERY large maps is that they every now and then generate a MAF (memory allocation error). These errors can't be fixed by a patch :(

this wasn't a large map, well not like the last one. Much smaller plays much quicker.

Feature list? I have limited space, so I would require one to see if I would like it... It sounds good, but I don't know, and would prefer not to download yet... So, feature list would be appreciated.
Thanks..

Feature list? I have limited space, so I would require one to see if I would like it... It sounds good, but I don't know, and would prefer not to download yet... So, feature list would be appreciated.
Thanks..
Will add that later with a couple of screenshots :)
For now, see the changelog plz

ok, will do

Originally posted in the "Download File" section and was requested to post it in the thread portion ...
Hi Arian:
I downloaded this mod last Sunday, and, have played it for about a week. I appreciate the work put into this and for the most part I like it. I REALLY like the creation of saboteur units throughout all eras. A wonderful way to wage a sneaky war ... a nice touch in limiting the number of units. The Wonders that you have added are also aplenty and are interesting choices.
About the only grouse I have is that there is no NORMAL speed to the game, and, I got bored playing at the EPIC level at which the game starts ... it is just too long for my patience level.
All in all ... a great mod ... one other recommendation ... is there a way to include traitors in the espionage part ? ... and how do you discover them ?
Thanks,
Kuppai

Thanks for your response Arian ...
I guess I did not scroll down far enough to find NORMAL the first time ... Apologies.
Kuppai

Hi Arian ...
Forgot to ask a question ...
Is there a shortcut to launch the game ... I launch it now by going through the ADVANCED, and then opting for the "A New Dawn" button.
Thanks in advance,
Kuppai

Originally posted in the "Download File" section and was requested to post it in the thread portion ...
Hi Arian:
I downloaded this mod last Sunday, and, have played it for about a week. I appreciate the work put into this and for the most part I like it. I REALLY like the creation of saboteur units throughout all eras. A wonderful way to wage a sneaky war ... a nice touch in limiting the number of units. The Wonders that you have added are also aplenty and are interesting choices.
About the only grouse I have is that there is no NORMAL speed to the game, and, I got bored playing at the EPIC level at which the game starts ... it is just too long for my patience level.
All in all ... a great mod ... one other recommendation ... is there a way to include traitors in the espionage part ? ... and how do you discover them ?
Thanks,
Kuppai

Thanks for your response Arian ...
I guess I did not scroll down far enough to find NORMAL the first time ... Apologies.
Kuppai
No problem.
About those traitors, how should those be implemented?

Hi Arian ...
Forgot to ask a question ...
Is there a shortcut to launch the game ... I launch it now by going through the ADVANCED, and then opting for the "A New Dawn" button.
Thanks in advance,
Kuppai
In CivilizationIV.ini change this:
Code:
; Specify a Mod folder (Mods\Mesopotamia), '0' for none
Mod = 0
to
Code:
; Specify a Mod folder (Mods\Mesopotamia), '0' for none
Mod = Mods\A New Dawn
That should do the trick :)

Hi Arian ...
Thank you for your prompt response...
... but what I was looking for was really a stand alone quick launch, like those created for Legends of Revolution, or, Wolfschanze's Revolutions....
No worries though ... but maybe in your next patch/version when you incorporate all the suggestions coming your way...:)
Appreciate your hard work ... this cannot be happening unless you truly enjoy it ..
Thanks,
Kuppai

Top Bottom