A Song of Ice and Fire

Well, actually now that I read it, I'm not sure if it will help, the main point of it is for people who wish for an ENTIRELY new tech tree. Is that what you will be doing?

IVZanIV said:
Well, actually now that I read it, I'm not sure if it will help, the main point of it is for people who wish for an ENTIRELY new tech tree. Is that what you will be doing?
Yeah, it will mostly be from scratch.

I was just perusing a thread, and some poster (forgot who) suggested the idea of negative traits. And I thought that it made a lot of sense... most of the rulers in ASOIAF have one/many flaws.

So with some very simple tinkering, you can have traits like this:
Isolationist: -2 health in each city
Boorish: -25% GP rate
Disorganized: 50% greater maintenence

etc.

Now my question is - is it fun to be handcuffed by the game like this?

Seeing as there are so few rulers to cover it seems reasonable for them to have attributes that are actually unique instead of general to everyone, I think this would add a lot of flavor to the game.

Erik, my clean TechInfos will contain just 1 structure for tech files, which you can copy, fill in, and repeat. This helps to eliminate useless time waste by you deleting stuff you won't use, and also helps you keep the X,Y thing under control...

Hey erik, Im sorry I haven't been able to get on the forum for a while. How is the mod going? I think you have inspired me to read the books again, thinking about the mod the whole way, so expect some more random ideas from me the next few days.

Patricius

That's great, Pat - if the mod hasn't come to a screeching halt, it has at least braked very abruptly. I shall be getting back to it, though, so this thing will get finished one way or another.

Hi all, I am excited about this mod. Love Song of Ice and Fire. Just finishing up Feast for Crows now (finally). Just curious where this mod is. The graphics and screen shots look great. You have an eta on this or a beta that you are planning to release? :goodjob:

R.I.P.....

It was always better suited as a scenario IMO, but it's a shame it ended so soon.

I'm in college now, and Civ 4 holds zero interest for me anymore.

Sorry to disappoint, guys, and thanks for what interest there was.

Hello all, Oddly enough, my name is Erik as well, and I also started doing a Song of Ice and Fire mod. I poked around the forums when I first had the idea, but somehow I missed this thread.

My plan is to do more of just an Ice and Fire 'version' of Civ 4. I don't want to break civ, I want to add the elements from the books to an already good game structure.

In Civ4, civilizations and leaders that never existed at the same time are still set out there for users to play, even if it does not make historic sense. I feel that this general schema would still work well for this mod. People or groups that are no longer around by the end of the series could still be available to play with the ones that are, and vice-versa. This should get rid of any necessity to stick to a specific time-frame from the books.

Currently, I'm mostly held back by the fact that I'm still on book 2. While adding some of the houses to the game, I ended up reading a spoiler here and there, so I stopped until I finish the books.

I have already added The House of Stark, with Eddard as a leader, the Dire Wolf as their special unit, and a Godswood for their special building. I've also added the Dothraki Horselords with their bloodriders and Drogo as a leader. (Also changed the barbarian panther to a Hrakkar, just to get my geek on, with help from Supa's Lioness unit). My plan is to add probably all of the main houses and a few "fun" or interesting ones like the Dothraki, with a couple leaders available to each.

Phase 1: Add all desired houses, leaders, units. Currently just using stolen internet art, or quick and dirty reskinning. No final art. Basically, just a playable reskin of Civ4.

Phase 2: Modify Tech-Tree. For the tech tree, I thought it would be cool to change it from techs, to Bannermen and Hedge Knights. Hear me out :). It's not like Tech really changes a whole lot in most fantasy worlds. So I was thinking that instead of having everything just be a tech, it could instead be something like a "Chart of Influence". So say instead of "iron working" giving you Swordsmen. It could be "Establish a trade route with Braavos". And now you can train Water Dancers (or maybe even Faceless Men). I expect this to take most of my time. I expect lots of tweaks to units and even the civs/leaders to get this all polished out. Also, add some nice events if not already done by phase 1. Example: A Giant boar "great beast" event.

Phase 3: Start adding final art, .DLL changes. (I'd like to add a building or ability that would allow the Starks to get production from snow and tundra tiles, for example).

So that's it in a not-so-brief nutshell. I'd love to hear if this sounds fun to anybody else. I'm really just doing this to get some scripting experience under my belt, and remind myself how to do some coding. Please keep in mind I'm not done with the books yet, but I'm burning through them pretty quickly, and I'll post when I'm done so you can shoot as many spoilers as you want :).

Thanks!

Top Bottom