A Teenager's Plead For Help

Caesar of Bread

Trans Gordon Ramsay
So, things are going chaotic in my life.
Well, I am probably going to a Jesuit High School, and from what I have heard, people like me (nerds/liberals) aren't really accepted in their society. Do I just abandon my personality in order to fit or do I keep my personality and risk getting bullied?
Also, I have fallen into a cycle of depression and hatred after getting rejected by the girl I loved most. How do I stop this?
Finally, I am questioning my sexuality and maybe even gender. How do I find out who I am true?

If anyone can give advice, please do so.

Last edited:
I don't think I can answer most of those questions. But I guess I kind of qualify as a nerd/liberal. When I am with more right wing people I just avoid politics or if pressed give cautious opinions. I think it is possible to be yourself and be sensitive to your audience. If I am with inlaws in Indiana I will try to avoid talking about their beloved Trump, because they won't appreciate my hot takes!

How religious are Jesuit schools?

One of the few positives of high school is meeting great people who can be lifelong friends cause everyone did time together.

How religious are Jesuit schools?

One of the few positives of high school is meeting great people who can be lifelong friends cause everyone did time together
Very religious at the least

Crap, I'm way out of my depth getting along with very religious people.

Jesuits are an order of ... Catholics?

We have a few of them around.

High school friends are all about shared interests I'd say.

Religious nuts hmmm.

Try to pick up a sport.
Any sport.
Even an oddball one like ultimate frisbee.
If you suck, quit and try another one.
If all the sports are impossible, try a club.
They only require breathing and a pulse usually.

Any sport or club is easy friends I think.

History?
People into history are never bad.
Just look at this shiny civ site.

I hated high school and bided my time with a few friends until I got out.
A few of the teachers and classes were great though.

The whole thing might be different now that it is 2023. :hmm:
Reading, writing, math, sports, arts, and people.
#1 thing is don't be the kid who smells bad, it is the negative impression that lasts longest.

Good luck!

**Edit**

Right, these are weighty questions.

I'd recommend asking advice from an adult you trust.

If we steer you wrong or give bad advice, we will deserve a beating.

Last edited:
Highschool can be hell.
Jesuit highschool...hm...Does it at least have a reputation for getting accepted into good colleges?
Indeed, I've even heard that some have gone to Yale/Harvard/Oxford

Also, one thing to note: I currently have few friends. This is probably due to the fact that nobody else in my grade likes what I like (Quiz Bowl, history, D&D, rock and roll...), and the closest friends I have at my school are a grade younger than me.

Jesuits are historically quite nerdy, they're intelligence aristos, used to be referred to as "God's cavalry". Being studious and bookish – nerdy – isn't necessarily a downside. If they are actually good Jesuits, they might even be intellectually open and interesting.

Of course, never take advice from strangers on the internet – nevertheless, it does seem mileage will vary with those kinds of schools:

The school might be less of a problem than devout Catholics in general?

Jesuits are historically quite nerdy, they're intelligence aristos, used to be referred to as "God's cavalry". Being studious and bookish – nerdy – isn't necessarily a downside. If they are actually good Jesuits, they might even be intellectually open and interesting.

Of course, never take advice from strangers on the internet – nevertheless, it does seem mileage will vary with those kinds of schools:

The school might be less of a problem than devout Catholics in general?
Well, Jesuits in California are probably different to Jesuits in Texas.

I am talking about the social life too in the Jesuit school, and that there are a lot of people who may pick on me.

Getting picked on happens. It happens in highschool, it happens later on in life. Not gonna stop.

Try to make yourself into somebody that doesn't hate what ya get picked on for, if you can. People are just people. Don't worry too much about liberals vs conservatives, they're the same dorks on different teams - if that stresses you, just consider talking too much politics boring. It really sort of is. General applications of Catholic agapi love are going to be difficult enough to live up to, the people that are supportive will notice the efforts.

For those who question everything at a changing stage in life, remember what I understand the Catholic take to be: We may sin, and we may argue about what sins those are. But God did not make you wrong, however that is. Blaming somebody for being gay, or queer, straight, or whatever is giving up on our mighty possibility and blaming God, in the making, for the situation. It's not doctrine, never has been.

Getting picked on happens. It happens in highschool, it happens later on in life. Not gonna stop.

Try to make yourself into somebody that doesn't hate what ya get picked on for, if you can. People are just people. Don't worry too much about liberals vs conservatives, they're the same dorks on different teams - if that stresses you, just consider talking too much politics boring. It really sort of is. General applications of Catholic agapi love are going to be difficult enough to live up to, the people that are supportive will notice the efforts.

For those who question everything at a changing stage in life, remember what I understand the Catholic take to be: We may sin, and we may argue about what sins those are. But God did not make you wrong, however that is. Blaming somebody for being gay, or queer, straight, or whatever is giving up on our mighty possibility and blaming God, in the making, for the situation. It's not doctrine, never has been.
Thank you, sir. I'm a Presbyterian and am at an Orthodox school, so this will finish the three major branches of Christianity (If you count Mormons as a big branch, there's always BYU:lol:)
From what your doctrine says, a lot of Catholic people I know have gone against it.

They often seem to do, yes. But are most of the Catholic people you know terribly interested in nuanced theology? My wife was devout, but even she had limits to how much she would dig into theology in any one go, I could keep pace with her on that, I struggled to keep up with her on living it.

Some of my very best friends I wound up being with on the Quiz Bowl team. It was one of my favorite activities. Band and choir were great, too. It's hard not to bond with people you sing with, in my experience, especially if you really are working at it. Teaches you to really listen to each other's voices, if that makes sense.

Not sure I'm up to cracking heads with Calvinist doctrines on sin/salvation, atm. This old Methodist generally rejects them, but I could spruce up on it a bit, if you find it interesting.

They often seem to do, yes. But are most of the Catholic people you know terribly interested in nuanced theology? My wife was devout, but even she had limits to how much she would dig into theology in any one go, I could keep pace with her on that, I struggled to keep up with her on living it.

Some of my very best friends I wound up being with on the Quiz Bowl team. It was one of my favorite activities. Band and choir were great, too. It's hard not to bond with people you sing with, in my experience, especially if you really are working at it. Teaches you to really listen to each other's voices, if that makes sense.

Not sure I'm up to cracking heads with Calvinist doctrines on sin/salvation, atm. This old Methodist generally rejects them, but I could spruce up on it a bit, if you find it interesting.
1. No, not really
2. You played Quiz Bowl?
3. I don't believe in predestination or other hooky stuff they're trying to sell me (except for the basics - the Bible...). My dad, on the other hand, denies the existence of the Holy Ghost and doesn't count Paul's letters as part of the Bible.

Well, we called it Academic Bowl, and the rules probably weren't the same? We had five to a team, buzzers and lights for each team. Captain in the middle, match was twenty toss up questions, 10pts each. Toss ups were first come first serve. Each team got one ring in. If a team got a pop up, they got first crack at a 3, 4, or 5 part bonus question that would total to 20pts. You got 20 or 30 seconds as a team to confer on these then answered them in one go. The team that lost the popup could answer the parts of the bonus that weren't answered correctly. Had a high school conference of teams and everything, went to tournaments. We punched above our weight range as a small public school. Was actually rather fun. How is Quiz Bowl played?

We also had a literal testing bowl, where schools would send out teams of geeks to go competitively test at each other(don't even get into soil judging for the FFA). Look, we didn't really have the internet, we had to do stuff for fun. Right?

Well, we called it Academic Bowl, and the rules probably weren't the same? We had five to a team, buzzers and lights for each team. Captain in the middle, match was twenty toss up questions, 10pts each. Toss ups were first come first serve. Each team got one ring in. If a team got a pop up, they got first crack at a 3, 4, or 5 part bonus question that would total to 20pts. You got 20 or 30 seconds as a team to confer on these then answered them in one go. The team that lost the popup could answer the parts of the bonus that weren't answered correctly. Had a high school conference of teams and everything, went to tournaments. We punched above our weight range as a small public school. Was actually rather fun. How is Quiz Bowl played?

We also had a literal testing bowl, where schools would send out teams of geeks to go competitively test at each other. Look, we didn't really have the internet, we had to do stuff for fun. Right?
We have 4 to a team. There are still 20 tossups, each with 3 bonuses. If you get the tossup before a specific time, you get 15 points, if you get it wrong during the question, -5 points. The 3 bonuses add up to 30 points, and the team that lost the tossup couldn't answer the missed bonuses. I am going to QB nationals in May, so wish my team luck!

Dang, that is some cut throat scoring on speed of ring in! ;)

That sounds awesome, kick some butt.

So, things are going chaotic in my life.
Well, I am probably going to a Jesuit High School, and from what I have heard, people like me (nerds/liberals) aren't really accepted in their society. Do I just abandon my personality in order to fit or do I keep my personality and risk getting bullied?
Also, I have fallen into a cycle of anger and hate after getting rejected by the girl I loved most. How do I stop this?
Finally, I am questioning my sexuality and maybe even gender. How do I find out who I am true?

If anyone can give advice, please do so.

Hm. Well, I'm not a guy and it's been decades since I was a teenager. But I remember high school and the importance of trying to fit in somehow. I also remember bullying, but it was nowhere near the hell that junior high was.

1. Did you choose this school yourself, or is it your parents' choice? If your parents chose it and you'd prefer a different school, is it possible to persuade them to change their minds?

2. Unless your personality is of a criminal nature or someone who is cruel, or who revels in denying reality, you are who you are. If trying to change to avoid being bullied would make you a lesser person according to your own conscience, then I recommend finding a way to make them (whoever "they" are) accept you as you are. High school is temporary. The years after that are the rest of your life where your fellow students may never be part of.

You're into D&D... there's actually nothing stopping religious people from playing D&D. Demons and hellfire are not compulsory in that game. It's up to the DM what to include. There's someone I used to know in the SCA who is also into D&D. He and his wife have been trying to get me to join in a game with them (problem being that health issues have made my life less mobile these days). My friend and his wife are believers, and that might seem odd to the folks here who know I'm atheist - but as long as a RL believer DM leaves RL faith out of the game, it's not a problem.

Try being the only kid in a Grade 9 class who's into Star Trek and reading Asimov essays and astronomy reference books for fun... my classmates thought there was something terribly wrong with me.

In high school the clubs became my social life. School newspaper, yearbook club, and poetry club (we put out a volume of student-written poetry and short stories every year). I actually had two teachers fighting over me one day in Grade 12. The two clubs met on the same day of the week, and one teacher glared at the other: "You're trying to take my typist!" (I was the only one of the club who didn't mind the finicky job of typing students' names on the designated areas of the layout; this was in pre-computer, pre-photocopier days when we did this stuff with carbon paper and stencils).

The other teacher came back with "You're trying to take my Grade 12!" (the grade 12 students were expected to mentor the younger students and had the most input as to which submissions would be included in the book; that year I was the only Grade 12 student who regularly turned up to meetings; though another eventually joined; we were the ones who typed the whole thing up before sending it to the printer).

So I compromised: I'd alternate the weeks I went to the meetings (neither teacher was willing to change the day of the week), would stay after school to work on the yearbook if they could find me a quiet spot with a typewriter and room to work undisturbed, and took several stacks of submissions home from the poetry club to do the initial sorting of yes, no, maybe... the yes and maybes would be discussed at the meetings themselves.

In short, there's usually a way to make things work out.

Does that school offer students a way to make a bit of money by helping out? My high school paid the students who worked in the cafeteria and the library. I never went near the cafeteria if I could help it, but I spent two years working in the library. It paid better than babysitting at the time, and one of the perks was being able to use a back room (where most of the AV stuff was stored) for studying, as there was a desk in there.

About relationship stuff... there are folks here who can give you better advice than I can. All I will say is that my view is that it's better to be actual friends first before moving to the 'girlfriend' stage. There are numerous threads in OT about "how do I get/keep a girlfriend", and one thing I recall posting in those is the finding a girlfriend is not like shopping for a new computer. You're looking for a relationship with another human being, not a possession. The other person gets an opinion, too - and the option to accept or reject you and expect you to be civil about it.

Top Bottom