A visual experiment: Would you like Civ3 to look like this -->

Wow, superb, that always wondered me how a HUGE civ can have a army of a few guys. The only problem might be is if this page took a while to load, how about in the game with all the graphics.

But I like your idea, keep it up!

I just found this thread and in my opinion this is the greatest idea for CivIII yet. This would enhance the visual aspect of gameplay tremendously. Is it possible to do 2 units in the same square with modern units such as Mech Infantry or Modern Armor?

once you get to modern infantry it just doesn't look right to have them fighting in ranks, I mean I can understand all the way up to riflemen it being cool, but after that, it would look silly to have six marines lined up in rows and fighting as if it were still the civil war, however this is superb for hand to hand combat animations.....

I am glad to see somebody finally took the time to try it out and see how it feels.

Its some very nice work, but:

will it slow the game down?
are you plannig to convert only your own and the original cic3 units?
i think you should have a lesser amount of units in the phalanxes/hoplites etc. Shooting 6 units down at one time seems guite unrealistic, i would go for 3-4.

again nice work though:goodjob:

It's a GREAT idea!
But I guess it's a LOT of work to copy & paste everything.

So I have an offer for you. CIV3_SBB can copy a frame anywhere in a storyboard, and it can ignore the transparent color.
So I think it could be easy to produce each unit individually, and then ask CIV3_SBB to "mix" several storyboard into one.

I can add an option to select the offset (X,Y), so a unit can be behind another, and a time offset (so the units do not all play at the same time, as in your animation).

With this modification, making multi units army for every units could be quite easy and fast. Contact me at this address stephane.f.david@free.fr if yo are interested : it seems you already have some raw materials and ideas, I think together we can achieve a very nice solution.

In response to the questions of slowing the game down, it's just like any other flc file all it is, is a maximum 240 240 flc.
cracker refered to this a long time ago, but I just recently remembered as he put it in a more technical way. it takes a long time to make these animations look right though, like I said in my earllier post I had the idea of a Roman Testudo
but only recently thought of combining units this way to make it look right. Kryten, did you have any plans to do the testudo? It's a must have IMHO if your going to simulate true hoplite fomations:D

Attachments

• testudo.jpg
    testudo.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 1,898
For the love of god, please do that. I hate having my borders look like they're being guarded by six men.

Kryten - are you gonna use those grea pack-units in Alexander the Great scenario?? It would be great:)

Originally posted by LesCanadiens
For the love of god, please do that. I hate having my borders look like they're being guarded by six men.

And you will feel better if your whole border is guarded by only 36 mens? :D

Originally posted by Kryten
To Skullbones & Redking: actually, it is very easy. I'm sure this has gone through every 'cut-'n-pasters' mind....."Why put just one figure in a frame when you could put six?".
(Mind you, I have been cloned, so that one of me goes to work while the other one animates.
I think we need a third clone……for sleeping! :crazyeye: )
Wow:eek: you've got a clone...how did u do that...i want one:cry: Jeez if i had a clone then maybe i will actually FINISH my units i am working on. Only the clone has to go and do the boring work bit...cant let it do the fun stuff, thats for me, lol!

After some thinking, I will try to add this feature in a modified version of CIV3_SBB. I have some ideas for a Japanese army...

Be patient! I must leave in a few minutes to have lunch at my parents-in-law's, but this afternoon I will try it.

In my first testing, all the units will be synchronized, but I hope it may look nice. Be patient!

Originally posted by Kryten
6 figure units (3 by 3) = all Ancient & Medieval foot units (including Bowmen & Longbows, but NOT skirmishers).

Hmmm. 3 by 3... Hmmm (counting on my finger...)... Hmmm... Isn't it 9, not 6?;)

Originally posted by Steph
Hmmm. 3 by 3... Hmmm (counting on my finger...)... Hmmm... Isn't it 9, not 6?;)
Hats off to your outstanding mathematical skills...you couldnt have done it better, but he may be refering to two rows of 3!?! If that were the case then it would make sense;)

Well I guess it's pretty much unanimous. When will we be honoured with the completed units? Or at least some of them. Please, pretty please? I don't envy the work you'll need to do though.

It’s mildly disturbing that you should have this idea also, maybe we share linked brainwave patterns ;). Tabletop war gamers will be tabletop war gamers I guess.

This was supposed to be a side project of mine but turned out very interesting. The units used, are regular units resized 50%.

Check these guys, it’s a Germanic Warband:

Top Bottom