A way to make units cost 1 resource...

That is an interesting idea. Sometimes cities are not connected to other cities. For example, in an early game, you may have copper, but one city is not connected yet. You can build axemen in some cities but not others. If the unit is built, presumably in a city with the resource, you lose one of the resources. Some of the cities may no longer have access to the resource. But, which ones? When the unit is destroyed, which cities should regain access to the resource?

There are several modcomps which attempt to implement "limited resources" similar to this. Most of these other modcomps put a cap on the number of units you can have; so if you have three copper resources, you can have three axemen. But you could not build a fourth one, and if you lose one copper resource one random axeman is destroyed. This avoids the problem of actually removing the resource. Would that mechanic work for you?

Give a man a mod, he has fun for a day. Teach a man to mod, he has fun for a lifetime. - Jarlaxe Baenre

That's almost as good as my favorite:

Give a man a fire and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life. :)

I have one: "Make a modder a script and he won't know what to do with it. Make the modder learn how to program and he stops asking for code." ;)

:nono: Significant mods can be done in python. Bad design can lead to slow code in any language, and not everything can be done in Python.

"Can be done" and "should be done" would be two different things. Python adds nothing to the SDK, so its basically not necessary. It is very convenient however, and a good entry point for learning. But not very helpful for any "serious" modding. Sure, you can achieve some pretty amazing things with Python, but this is also true about XML modding. I don't have to tell anyone that XML only is very limiting. And so is Python, compared to what can be achieved with C++.

All in my very limited experience.

Jarlaxe Baenre, did you find a solution to this? If not let me know... I think I still have some vanilla code somewhere on my computer that lets cities stockpile resources.

This way a city could effectively stockpile x number of copper and then Axemen would require 1. If they city has at least 1 copper in its stockpile then the axemen could be built.

Jarlaxe Baenre, did you find a solution to this? If not let me know... I think I still have some vanilla code somewhere on my computer that lets cities stockpile resources.
If I recall correctly the modder in question is running a Mac setup. Since you mostly do C++ mod comps... :p

If I recall correctly the modder in question is running a Mac setup. Since you mostly do C++ mod comps... :p

And? :p

Doesn't mean other people wouldn't like resource stockpiling in cities :)

OoOoOoOoOo... I smell a new Spy mission to steal uranium :D

Top Bottom