A World Without Offsides?

Mega Tsunami said:
FWIW his 12 books were:
TWELVE BOOKS THAT CHANGED THE WORLD
Principia Mathematica (1687) by Isaac Newton
Married Love (1918) by Marie Stopes
Magna Carta (1215) by members of the English ruling classes
Book of Rules of Association Football (1863) by a group of former English public-school men
On the Origin of Species (1859) by Charles Darwin
On the Abolition of the Slave Trade (1789) by William Wilberforce in Parliament, immediately printed in several versions
A Vindication of the Rights of Woman (1792) by Mary Wollstonecraft
Experimental Researches in Electricity (three volumes, 1839, 1844, 1855) by Michael Faraday
Patent Specification for Arkwright’s Spinning Machine (1769) by Richard Arkwright
The King James Bible (1611) by William Tyndale and 54 scholars appointed by the king
An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations (1776) by Adam Smith
The First Folio (1623) by William Shakespeare

Coincidence, these twelve books selected by an English man are written in English, by English writers :)

Back on topic, what soccer needs is not a change of rule but a change in refereeing. Add a second referee, use video replays, things like that.

What would the second referee do? I'm curious since there are already four officials at each match.

Dell19 said:
What would the second referee do? I'm curious since there are already four officials at each match.

well 2 officials are on the side line, and the last one is not active during the game. I was thinking on a second in-the-field kind of referee...

Okay I'm not convinced of the benefits of having a second ref since all you get is a different view point but then they need to be coordinated so that they are generally not looking at exactly the same scene. Disagreements would be a major problem so one would still need to be in charge and additionally its an extra obsticle on the pitch.

Think it would be more beneficial if you were to do it to have the second ref watching on TV with access to replays.

Dell19 said:
Okay I'm not convinced of the benefits of having a second ref since all you get is a different view point but then they need to be coordinated so that they are generally not looking at exactly the same scene. Disagreements would be a major problem so one would still need to be in charge and additionally its an extra obsticle on the pitch.

Think it would be more beneficial if you were to do it to have the second ref watching on TV with access to replays.

Makes sense. I'd be fine with that :)

Dell19 said:

There's already an available referee for that part: the 4th referee. It would indeed be easy for him to confirm or oppose important decisions after having checked on his controlling screen.

As for adding more referees. I don't believe it's necessarily stupid as long as the hierarchy is respected. Personally, I liked the idea about having penalty areas referees, one behind each keepers checking specifically what's going on in the penalty area he has to check. Knowing how many things are happening in penalty areas, and how much some decisions aren't seen because the refereee was simply too far to view anything, I do believe those kind of referees would significantly improve the respect of the rules, especially when it's about divers and stuff like that.

As a whole, that would make 6 referees for 22 players. IIRC correctly there's something like 12 referees for 2 players in tennis. Honnestly, there's no reason to fear more referees as long as hierarchy are well-organized.

Regarding referees - I heard -heard mind you, that there is a match official who was watching the match via television and had access to replays.

He just wasn't hooked up to the main referee to help him out. :eek:

Anyone able to verify/ridicule?

Kan' Sharuminar said:
Regarding referees - I heard -heard mind you, that there is a match official who was watching the match via television and had access to replays.

He just wasn't hooked up to the main referee to help him out. :eek:

Anyone able to verify/ridicule?
I've heard the same thing. And according to my sources, Sepp Blatter in himself recognized this. This is indeed very weird and disturbing.

no offsides would be chaos- like anarchy, murderers running the streets, all hell would break loose.

pboily said:
But defenders could stay back so that the cherry pickers' edge is minimized.

thus you would just have the keeper smash it up the other end and hope for the best each time they got the ball.

Top Bottom