Acronyms in these Forums need updated list

MeatUnit2

Warlord
I am frequently frustrated when reading articles that I really want to understand here at CivFanatics.

The Commonly Used Acronyms in the Civ Community http://www.civfanatics.com/civ4/reference/acronyms.php
needs to be updated, advertised, and improved. Too many of the articles in these forums are far too cryptic. There are acronyms and no references.

There are lots of acronyms missing from the Acronyms in these Forums list

It would be helpful if there were links to the articles defining those acronyms. They don't have to be definitive articles, but it would be great if there were links to relevant articles. Including links to the actual rules of the game whenever possible.

For example, SoD is on the list (as SOD). Stack of Doom. That is not a helpful definition for beginners. I know what it is, you know what it is. I am assuming that a list of acronyms is intended to help newcomers, not obfuscate and intimidate.

In order to increase the accessibility to CivFanatics, I think there should be a concerted effort to help new players understand what more experienced players are describing by providing definitions and links to examples.

I think that there should be a link to this powerful resource on every relevant forum page.

I believe as a community/CivFanatics bringing new players into the game and helping them is one of our goals. I believe that clearing up the acronym problem with a complete list and links will really help.

My Opinion

You should not use abbreviations

Finally, if you are not willing to tap those keys eight or nine times more you shouldn't be giving advice. At least link to what you are talking about. You and your circle may know what you mean but a real effort to communicate requires more keystrokes. More keystrokes, just a little bit more effort. Better results.

Yes i agree,
some descriptions could be better and some important stuff is not in the list. For example still (i searched it some years ago) the often used WFYABTA and WHEOOHRN abbrevations are not included.

Knightly

Yes i agree,
some descriptions could be better and some important stuff is not in the list. For example still (i searched it some years ago) the often used WFYABTA and WHEOOHRN abbrevations are not included.

Knightly

Thanks, I think, but you didn't provide definitions or links, so while you are providing examples, you are half assing it. No offense, but more is needed.

WFYABTA is an acronym for We Fear You Are Becoming Too Advanced. It's a message the AI uses to respond to certain requests. Please fill in the blanks when you know what conditions result in this message.

WHEOOHRN: We Have Enough On Our Hands Right Now.
This is a rejection of a request when a civ is invited, by a trade agreement request, to get involved in a war. Please fill in the blanks when you know what conditions result in this message.

If you are going to provide acronyms please supply the full description and, if you can, a link to an article to the meaning.

Acronyms are used as a short cut to larger ideas. Link them to the definitions and descriptions and articles so you're helping. Acronyms without those definitions or links are not helpful.

I was just thinking about this issue the other day when I saw an acronym used in a post and did not see it on the list. Another option would be to break out the acronym's by Civ. For instance in Civ4 SP stands for State Property while in Civ5 it stands for Social Policy.

Thanks, I think, but you didn't provide definitions or links, so while you are providing examples, you are half assing it. No offense, but more is needed.

WFYABTA is an acronym for We Fear You Are Becoming Too Advanced. It's a message the AI uses to respond to certain requests. Please fill in the blanks when you know what conditions result in this message.

WHEOOHRN: We Have Enough On Our Hands Right Now.
This is a rejection of a request when a civ is invited, by a trade agreement request, to get involved in a war. Please fill in the blanks when you know what conditions result in this message.

If you are going to provide acronyms please supply the full description and, if you can, a link to an article to the meaning.

Acronyms are used as a short cut to larger ideas. Link them to the definitions and descriptions and articles so you're helping. Acronyms without those definitions or links are not helpful.

Do you know what cause them?
If not:
Every leader has their WFYABTA limit. This might be 5 , 10 , 15, 20 or even unexistent when that leader is called Mansa Musa.
Every time you get a tech from a civilization of which the existance is known with say, leader A, one unit goes into the WFYABTA box. If you get two techs from that civilization, two units go into the WFYABTA box of leader A.
Once it is filled, leader A won't be willing to trade you any more techs.

WHEOOHRN:
When a civilization is at war or planning war, you will be unable to bribe them into any wars. Beware, as this civilization might be planning to attack you!

I was just thinking about this issue the other day when I saw an acronym used in a post and did not see it on the list. Another option would be to break out the acronym's by Civ. For instance in Civ4 SP stands for State Property while in Civ5 it stands for Social Policy.

A very good idea. Too many new posters who only play one game are getting bombarded with abbreviations in the guide that don't apply to them as well . Another problem is that, even though the game has been out for years, acronyms still change over time.

Some acronyms would probably be OK. For instance, if the thread is about the Apostolic Palace it's be OK to use "AP". Or if you bold or capitalize something and then use an abbreviation later in the same post.

I admit that I use too many acronyms. I'll try to cut back.

Do you know what cause them?

Every leader has their WFYABTA limit. This might be 5 , 10 , 15, 20 or even unexistent when that leader is called Mansa Musa.
Every time you get a tech from a civilization of which the existance is known with say, leader A, one unit goes into the WFYABTA box. If you get two techs from that civilization, two units go into the WFYABTA box of leader A.
Once it is filled, leader A won't be willing to trade you any more techs.

WFYABTA is removed if the leader is Friendly towards you

A general rule for using Acronyms - This rule is used by professional writers

Write out the term followed by the acronym in parentheses the first time it appears in your message. After that you can use the acronym and readers will know what the letters mean. This really increases reader comprehension.

Example:

The Apostolic Palace (AP) is a seriously flawed wonder. I have read that the AP doesn't show up in games where cultural victory has been deselected. Does anybody know how to get rid of the AP without altering the victory conditions?

iirc = I'm old, and can't remember important things anymore.

imho = If it was done in my way, everything would be much better.

fyi = Forgetaboutit you ignorant/ Forgot your ignorance

AD = After dark

BC = Before Christmas

ARCHIPELAGO = Are Rich Children Hiding In Politics Especially Large Art Gallery Owners

iirc = I'm old, and can't remember important things anymore.

imho = If it was done in my way, everything would be much better.

fyi = Forgetaboutit you ignorant/ Forgot your ignorance

AD = After dark

BC = Before Christmas

ARCHIPELAGO = Are Rich Children Hiding In Politics Especially Large Art Gallery Owners

VINCENTZ: Very ignorant noob cause everything noted there ziswrong ;)

Top Bottom