Active Research Discussion

The more I think about this, the more I feel we need a much larger tech tree, and one that isn't so rigid (ie need more OR requirements). I'd like to see them essentially have 3-4 main "paths" that you go down based on your start, with multiple ways to reach certain points. The key to that is making sure that there are units along each path - too often I've wanted to beeline one path but you can't afford to ignore the military.

I'd almost rather see a system where the base units come along based on ages. So you reach the medieval period and that unlocks Knights, no matter which path you took to make it there. Maybe the "specialized" longswordsmen can come from one specific path, but if done this way you won't necessarily need to backfill all the mining techs to stay up to date in military, for example.

The more I think about this, the more I feel we need a much larger tech tree, and one that isn't so rigid (ie need more OR requirements). I'd like to see them essentially have 3-4 main "paths" that you go down based on your start, with multiple ways to reach certain points. The key to that is making sure that there are units along each path - too often I've wanted to beeline one path but you can't afford to ignore the military.

I don't think it's good. It's not possible to balance tech tree 100% and this system would allow beelining for specific techs a lot, totally ignoring other paths, especially with units. I'd say optimal paths should be designed in way you can't progress without researching all techs 2 eras ago.

Speaking about units, I really liked the Civ5 idea of having pikes on a peaceful route as defense-oriented unit. Well, before their upgrade path became strange.

Top Bottom