AD 1500 and no alphabet?!?! Is it even possible to win?

jodok

Chieftain
So I started a new game yesterday. This time I played Germans, huge world, 12 Civs on Prince level.

My starting position is good. Lots of forest, a few hills, Cows and Rice! Lets churn out those warriors and scouts and get the party started. I shoot straight for Judaism and ignore building workers for a while. Send out my first settler, then start on stonehenge (Berlin can build it in 14 turns without stone!).

Judaism is mine and everything is looking really good. I am alone on a sizeable island with room for maybe 12 cities or so. This is when my brain goes haywire. I fall back to the good old Civ 3 ICS tactic. I immediately build 3-4 settlers and establish new cities around the resources marble, copper, wheat and cow. Everything is looking good and I quickly research all the basic techs then start down the path towards optics. I am alone and desperately need to meet other people.

More settlers are built and I now have maybe 10 cities and researching Metal Casing.

Snap back to reality! My research is only at 40%!!! What?? Oh no, I fell for ICS and it bit me.. hard...

So after a looong and hard struggle to get optics I am desperate. I have not been able to build anything in my 5 biggest cities for maybe 40-50 turns. All I do is build units then delete them at once... How sad is that..

Finally I get optics and can mass build Caravels. My tech rate is back at 50% and I am actually cheering :)

Wow, what a sorry state my empire is in. It's now 1500 AD and I haven't even researched Alphabet yet! I have a mere 800 points and is the last of the 9 Civs I know...

My spirit is at an all time low. What to do? Should I restart? I analyze the situation and notice that even if I am not exactly doing good, it is actually only 300 points or up to the leading Civ. Also, I am the second biggest Civ and I am slowly recovering from the Maintenance penalties.

I go for it and aournd 1700 I am back on track. I have managed to trade a little resarch and my tech rate is back at a whopping 70%. My cities are growing good and everything is looking better.

Another 200 years go by and I am now on 2nd place! I haven't expanded any more, not gone to war and it feels like I have just watched my cities grow :)

Apollo program here we come! Sometime around 1920 or so it is finished and the race is on!! All the others have started as well, so it's gonna be close. I build labaratories in all my major cities and Aluminium is hooked up...

The year is 1989 and I have 3 turns left of my SS Stasis Chamber, my worker chops down the last forest around Berlin and whoa, next turn it will be done...

So there you go! From last place and no Alphabet in 1500 to Space Race Victory in 1990.

I have to say I am pleased with the result, but a little disappointed as well, since ICS actually paid off in the end. (I can't attribute it all to my superior skills either :p )

Actually, you only need Alphabet for Literature, Drama, Music, and Military Tradition. Yes, that's correct: You can discover Nuclear Fusion using nothing but simple concrete pictograms (at least in theory; having no libraries or universities can be a little painful).

I have to say I am pleased with the result, but a little disappointed as well, since ICS actually paid off in the end. (I can't attribute it all to my superior skills either

No, i don't think so. You just overexpanded at start and then were able to recover. Good job at not giving up. If you would have expanded slower you maybe would have ended with 10 cities as well, but maybe 20 years earlier in space. So i don't think you won because of ICS, it just didn't broke you completely. ;)

So after a looong and hard struggle to get optics I am desperate. I have not been able to build anything in my 5 biggest cities for maybe 40-50 turns. All I do is build units then delete them at once... How sad is that..
Buildings don't cost maintenance or upkeep. They are free. Why didn't you build them ?

Rik Meleet said:
Buildings don't cost maintenance or upkeep. They are free. Why didn't you build them ?

Because I had already built all the buildings available, and I hadn't researched the techs that made it possible to build research/wealth/culture....

Ten cities isn't ICS, and the fact that having those ten cities slowed you to a crawl
until you'd solidified your income shows that in this case, the mechanisms in
Civ4 to prevent ICS succeeded.

I guess you could look at it that way. It wouldn't have been a problem for me to build several more cities at that continent though, which could have been a fun experiment just to see how harsh the penalties would have been...

luckily ICS Doesn't work because of the fact that you cannot build a city within 2 spaces of another city.:king:
But still an interesting Idea. But man do I hate navies...:bday:

Top Bottom