Add a new building and improvement with 3D model

SWEET! I got my test model in. Thanks Danrell!!!

My blender has some different settings but it looks like I got it to work right:

How would I add animations to this though :/

Attachments

• windmill.jpg
    windmill.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 1,457
danrell is a genius!....i am beginning to think 3d LH for civ5 may be a possibility......

danrell is a genius!....i am beginning to think 3d LH for civ5 may be a possibility......

I was thinking about that too. I was wondering if you took one of your custom civ5 units but used the used it as leaderhead if it would show up.

if it did I think the next step would be try a civ4 export like the zulu impi. If those work then our old civ4 LHs should work.

I have converted the airfield into a full mod that updates the Landmark database tables via SQL (as opposed to the original which over-wrote core game files)

The early airfield can be built upon the discovery of Flight, the late one upon discovery of Radar. (It makes no sense to set them up as Ancient Era and Industrial Era as Flight is a Modern Era tech the early one would never be used.)

Edit: The mod can be found here - http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=483254

I'm guessing I don't need the .blend files (in the original airfield download rar) for the actual in-game models - but just wanted to check before I remove them and break my mod!

yes, you can remove them safely :)

So... I know that this is not a regular topic because of the farm crash and all... but is there a way of making a custom 3D model with a custom decal image on the ground? like the Forts. How would you define a decal?

I've only done it by putting the graphics in a DLC folder. Not a mod.

Well, it seems that the current Nexus Buddy can actually manage it and with mods!

All you need to do is make sure the decal plane is completelly horizontal, and assign it a LandmarkShader material type. (sorry for the placeholderish decal, btw)

Ok, I'm having an issue now though...

Even though I set the Height maps and a no_gloss specular, my decal always gives that strange height border on the plane...

I then tested on a Lumbermill, to see if it was an issue with my model, and changed the textures, and it got the same problem...

Then, I replaced my textures with already existant ones, and it still has that border... So I'm guessing it has something to do with choosing the material on Nexus Buddy, I'll try to see if using an older version works.

Well... Tried with BuildingShader... although that does manage the alpha of the borders, it is no longer a decal, and so it cuts badly next to a mountain (and atop a mountain, it just looks funny)

Also tried with LandmarkShader_Stencil, but that makes it invisible (as it should, also chops trees that pass through the plane)...

So... my next attempt will be with making the decal plane be under the ground... Maybe the decal is too high and so its borders are seen? (however, that means that also the Lumbermill's decal plane is too high)

EDIT: Another guess I have is that its not really loading the Heightmap for some reason... this is mostly because I haven't noticed a change at all changing height maps, but could be my changes are not meaningfull enough... will test more...

EDIT: I now think its definitively that, I've tested with a black to white gradient map... For some reason, it seems that the referenced Height map on LandmarkShader isn't being used at all. So it probably references to a white generic texture, hence the plane looks as if it were above the ground...

---

Ekmek, what version of Nexus Buddy did you use to make the decal of this Windmill?

Spoiler :

I used an old lemmy version. But I used the building shader because it was all we had IIRC. Also I had to use DLC and we couldn't get it in game with a mod. Do other decals have skeletons. I had a height issue with my UAV unit and had to off center it by putting one dot (vertex) at the normal spot and the rest of the mesh at the elevation I wanted.

I used an old lemmy version. But I used the building shader because it was all we had IIRC. Also I had to use DLC and we couldn't get it in game with a mod. Do other decals have skeletons. I had a height issue with my UAV unit and had to off center it by putting one dot (vertex) at the normal spot and the rest of the mesh at the elevation I wanted.

Hmn... Well, I couldn't find a way of fixing that, but will keep on searching. However, the issue is very specifically with the borders of the Decal mesh, so I decided to use multiple meshes for the decal in this case, and it works ok:

Anyway. Until Fall, with the Firaxis' fix for the Farm Crash, these farms may be useful for those who want to attempt custom Improvement and Wonder models, so they don't get a Farm Crash Bug:

Download Farm Model Fix for Farm Crash Bug.

Hey Ekmek, do you think that with the new Nexus Buddy we can have animated improvements?

Top Bottom