Adding/Specifying Custom Music for Civ3

I hate to necro this thread, but I never properly gave thanks to themanuneed - thank you, so much! - and more relevant, I finally found what was causing the original music not to play in RAR. I *believe* this will be relevant for any scenario that does not package it's own music files, so:

Having deleted the music file to no avail and given up I had a very weird idea - I remembered hearing back in the day that Conquests used the /Conquests folder as a dependency. I moved the contents of the /Conquests folder to a backup folder; and suddenly, instead of playing the one industrial age song over and over again, the original build music was restored. :) I'm not sure why my attempts to make a separate music folder in RaR were ignored (maybe it should've been installed to Conquests?) but I'll take success. Hope this helps others who have problems with their scenarios playing industrial age music in the ancient age!

:hatsoff: and :goodjob:
I don't deserve such a praise, this thread is full of priceless informations and I'm not the one who posted the most. Anyway I'm glad you found a way around to what you wanted to do. It took time but it was worth it :D
Interesting how we still learn things about how Civ deals with folders :hmm:

Sorry for maybe asking a dumb question, but I really couldn't understand anything of the first post in this thread. I checked the other thread that was linked to too, but that wasn't really relevant for what I want to do.

In a scenario I want the modern era music to be played during the ancient era, industrial music to be played during the middle ages, middle age music to be played during the industrial era, and ancient music to be played during the modern era. Is there some file I can make changes to, to just re-order the songs? Or do I have to mess with the sound files themselves?

Zefyrinus, you would need to re-name the music as the song that it is replacing. For example, if you wanted the Modern Era song "SmashFull" to be in the Ancient era, you would have to move it to the Ancient Folder and rename it as one of the 'Full' songs (such as AncGRfull.mp3). The game is hard-coded to read the songs by the titles that already exist.

Since this thread got necro'd anyway I figured I would just ask here:

has anyone figured out a way to get the game to recognize a mod's replacement menu music? Or the music played when the game is won/lost? Didn't see anything in this thread...

Since this thread got necro'd anyway I figured I would just ask here:

has anyone figured out a way to get the game to recognize a mod's replacement menu music? Or the music played when the game is won/lost? Didn't see anything in this thread...

One working way is to replace the Menu1 file of the C3C main sounds folder/Menu folder (not in the scenario folder!) with the sound file you want and to rename that sound file Menu1. On the other side now all other C3C scenarios and mods will be opened with that new music intro file, too. I have several intros that I have renamed Menu1, Menu1a, Menu1b,Menu1c and so on. Now I have only to add a suffix to the current Menu1 file and to wipe out the letter behind the Menu1 title with a normal text editor (per example Menu1a to Menu1) to have the new intro music title.

One working way is to replace the Menu1 file of the C3C main sounds folder/Menu folder (not in the scenario folder!) with the sound file you want and to rename that sound file Menu1. On the other side now all other C3C scenarios and mods will be opened with that new music intro file, too. I have several intros that I have renamed Menu1, Menu1a, Menu1b,Menu1c and so on. Now I have only to add a suffix to the current Menu1 file and to wipe out the letter behind the Menu1 title with a normal text editor (per example Menu1a to Menu1) to have the new intro music title.

Indeed this is solution I've come up with. Too bad there's not a cleaner fix. Thanks Civinator!

Lately, I have been unable to create music that works in Civ 3. Previously, I was able export mp3s at 128kbps @ 44KHz and they worked fine. Now, any tracks that I export are playing slow like a 45 at 33. I use Audacity, which has changed from how it used to function when exporting. Does anyone have an idea how to correct this, or an alternate program they are currently using? Thanks.

Lately, I have been unable to create music that works in Civ 3. Previously, I was able export mp3s at 128kbps @ 44KHz and they worked fine. Now, any tracks that I export are playing slow like a 45 at 33. I use Audacity, which has changed from how it used to function when exporting. Does anyone have an idea how to correct this, or an alternate program they are currently using? Thanks.

I had the same problem a while back. I did end up figuring out the problem, but have now forgotten how I did it. :blush:

Leads me to believe it was an easy fix. I tried just now to convert an .mp3 at the wrong kbps and Hz (192kbps and 48000Hz) which played slowly in-game, to an .mp3 at 128kbps and 41000Hz. Sadly, I was unable to recreate the problem, the mp3 plays fine.

Are you sure you're exporting at 44100Hz? By changing the project rate dropdown?

Spoiler :

1688766026566.png

Top Bottom