Civ2 ToT videos and music

Volsang

Chieftain
I use ISO version of ToT, patched to 1.1 and with ToTPP. I just recently realised that there's no in-game cutscenes and music. For videos, will it be sufficient to copy Videos folder from ISO to game folder? And for music, is there some workaround to play it without disk emulation needed?

By the way, what cutscene is Scene10.avi where a group of mechas is stopping before some wizard (shut down by his magic? worshipping him?). I didn't find any Scene10.avi line in any Event.txt file.

Thanks in advance.

Yup copying your 'Video' folder off the disc into your ToT install folder will solve the video problem. And yeah I think Scene10 ends up unused as I remember wondering the same thing a few years ago.

As for music ToTPP does support using MP3 files instead of CD tracks, I haven't got around to doing that yet though so I'm not sure of the specific requirements. However I think if you run the ToTPP launcher there's some basic instructions in there if you find the mp3 mode tickbox and @Prof. Garfield can prob advise you as he's done some extra mp3 ToTPP work in the past. As for getting the mp3's they can be ripped off the ToT CD.. however if you're using an ISO file then it won't have them as ISO does not rip music tracks. So many people rip Civ2 in ISO format not realizing that it's the one darn format doesn't support CD music tracks lol. If you rip your ToT CD as a BIN or IMG it would have the music tracks too which then could be ripped into mp3s. If you don't have your CD anymore then due to the rules of this site I unfortunately can't help you acquire a copy but they're certainly 'out there' (but remember, don't get ISO format unless you're fine with no music).

Last edited:
I've included all the Civ II music converted to .mp3 files as part of my "Exended Music For TOTPP" project, found here:

There's a green "Code" button at the top right you click to download a .zip file.

If you don't want to be able to add your own music and customise playlists, then you can just copy the Music folder from the downloaded .zip file into your Test of Time directory. Let me know if you need more detailed instructions.

Well, I met a problem though.

I did everything as said in Readme for @Prof. Garfield's Extended Music project; I copied Lua files to Lua folder, Game files to Fantasy, SciFi etc., Music folder to main ToT folder... and got an error message when starting any scenario.

I tried every possible combination of ticking/unticking Lua and DirectShow Music in TOTPP Launcher but to no avail.

Well, I met a problem though.

I did everything as said in Readme for @Prof. Garfield's Extended Music project; I copied Lua files to Lua folder, Game files to Fantasy, SciFi etc., Music folder to main ToT folder... and got an error message when starting any scenario.

I tried every possible combination of ticking/unticking Lua and DirectShow Music in TOTPP Launcher but to no avail.
Can you post a screenshot of the message?

Can you tell me one of the scenarios you started that causes the error?

Does the error persist if you revert to the original game.txt files?

Attachments

• OriginalGameText.zip
    154.1 KB · Views: 5
@Prof. Garfield, strangely enough, everything works now. I just reinstalled the game -> patch 1.1 -> TOTPP -> Extended Music Project, and voila - now I'm finally playing ToT as it should be played, 25 years later, for the first time with music. Thanks for your patch!

@Blake00, judging by his magic staff and his garb, this mysterious wizard is none other than Volsang (i.e. me, he-he:crazyeye:). At least he seems identical to Volsang from Scene9 cutscene. If so, it would be interesting to know what event Scene10 was supposed to follow? Was it some time-paradox event (intended but not implemented) from Midgard scenario when Volsang summoned a band of mechas from the future to battle the gods of Asgard themselves?

@Blake00, judging by his magic staff and his garb, this mysterious wizard is none other than Volsang (i.e. me, he-he:crazyeye:). At least he seems identical to Volsang from Scene9 cutscene. If so, it would be interesting to know what event Scene10 was supposed to follow? Was it some time-paradox event (intended but not implemented) from Midgard scenario when Volsang summoned a band of mechas from the future to battle the gods of Asgard themselves?
Indeed.. it's a strange mystery... Volsang from midgard and mechs from scifi.. maybe there was some crossover stuff planned that was dropped.

Btw if you're playing them then you might find our old strat threads an interesting read. I posted in them a few years back when I played both scenarios and had a ton of fun (but hit a few bugs still).

Top Bottom