Adding Units to C3C

Bobby Dread

Chieftain
I was trying to add a unit to C3C. (Settler Wagon, required Tech = Wheel) I followed the instructions in the tutorial thread here. When I run C3C and try to access the Science Adivisor, the game crashes.
I have added units in C3 before with no problems. I assume the issue is with the Sci Advisor screen, if I set the required tech to a tech in the Middle Ages, I can access the Ancient Times page, but as soon as I try to 'page' to the Middle Ages, it will crash.

Below is the entry in the Pediaicons.txt file. (used 'moving van because no icons came with settler wagon)

#ICON_PRTO_Wagon
art\civilopedia\icons\units\x2_movingvanlarge.pcx
art\civilopedia\icons\units\x2_movingvansmall.pcx

Any idea what I did wrong?

Where are the Moving Van icons located? Are they in a mod folder or have you placed them in Conquests\art\civilopedia\icons\units\

We have about a ton of units in the betaversion of Rise and Rule (DYP) for Conquests, and are experiencing no problems, so I don't think this is a problem with the game as such :)

They are in Conquests\art\civilopedia\icons\units\

I had not created a full mod folder yet, was just experimenting with changes to conquests.biq. Followed the same procedure I did when I putzed around with the origonal Civ 3, just put the files in the Conquest file 'tree' instead of the root tree.

What error message do you get?

I don't remember the exact message but it was along the lines of "Civilization has caused an error in civilization.exe.....". It was a gray system error pop-up.

Wow, I missed this post for almost a month - sorry about that :(

In any case, the only time I've seen one of those errors pop up after modifying units, it was because of an incorrect path to one of the sound files in a units INI file. So if you've modified any ini-files, make sure you have all the sound references correct.

Edit: No wait, I think it can also happen if one of the icons are in wrong format - i.e. if they're in 16 million color palette instead of the required 256 color palette. Not sure though, and I can't check right now.

Top Bottom