AI aggressiveness on Diety

Randomrandy

Revolutionary
I just finished a cultural game as ghandi on diety. It was a tiny archipelago with 4 civs and 2 city states. I started the game to see how long I could last on diety with one city. My army Consisted of one warrior until i got to the medievel era. The AI never declared war on me. In fact when I asked Rome what it would give me for 1 silver they offered 5 horses, 5 iron, 2 coal, 1 uranium opened borders and some gold. At any point in the game any one of the nations could have crushed me but they never acted. I eventually built a modest defensive army but they still doubled it at least. I was always an era behind in tech as well. I won on turn 447 (after 2020 ad) by culture.

Has anyone else experienced such passive AI on high difficulty?
They practically subsidized my victory and made no attempt at anything but a time victory.

I suppose a better test would be to try it on a pangea, I'll probably do that next.

Yes, but it was on a duel archipelago, and I was dominating against poor Washington

I think when you don't found any new cities and your score is low, the AI doesn't really consider you a threat. I had the same thing happen on playing Immortal OCC on Pangaea.

there are other people that are complaining that the AI is too aggressive on other threads. they complain that instead of acting like a real civilization, the AI is trying to win the game.

I have played a lot of cultural games on the higher levels, and even on Deity the AI will usually leave you alone. Here are some my observations:

1. Buying tiles makes the AI mad. Let culture growth grab the tiles, and the AI doesn't seem to object. AI will object to a culture bomb obviously.

2. Not building a second city keeps the AI friendly.

3. Stealing an AI's allied CS or building a wonder AI working on gets hate messages, but usually not war.

4. Becoming friends or agreeing to any DOW with any AI is very dangerous.

5. Having no army makes most of the AI players happy, however being next to a warmonger without an army like Alexander or Napoleon means they will attack you.

6. Selling open borders seems to keep most AI happy, so they can move units through your territory. Sometimes you will see a dozen units coming, but they are just passing through to attack somebody else.

7. If a neighbor doesn't attack me in the first few eras, they won't attack me in the later eras unless I give them reason to.

8. The CS worker steal isn't worth it for me, that is a diplo hit I can't afford when I go OCC. Don't declare war for any reason.

9. I can bribe AIs to go to war with each other, and there seems to be no consequences.

Top Bottom