AI capital one tile from the coast

Munch

Benevolent Despot
I hate it when this happens. It isn't so bad when the AI settle one tile from the coast with a rubbish city that you can just raise, but this is the German capital and Christian holy city. To make things worse there's a fresh water lake that doesn't get the coastal boost too! :mad:

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0056.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0056.JPG
    176.7 KB · Views: 514
If you settle in the plains forest 1SW of the wheat you will get the lake tile and a bunch of coastal tiles. If you build a lighthouse there, I think it will allow Berlin to get the food bonus from in lake, too.

If you settle in the plains forest 1SW of the wheat you will get the lake tile and a bunch of coastal tiles. If you build a lighthouse there, I think it will allow Berlin to get the food bonus from in lake, too.

Yes, you would get the food bonus on the lake if you did that, but only if the nearby city that built the lighthouse was working that tile. Berlin in its current position can never get the food bonus.

But it wasn't me playing Germany, it was the AI!

Silly Germans... who builds a city one tile away from the ocean anyways?

But look at all those resources in the BFC! :D

Which is pretty much what the AI does when settling cities: add up the number of bonus tiles in the city radius and settle in the spot that gives the highest number.

I would imagine that it's a weighted addition, ie giving more points for a gold that can be worked immediately than to a dye that needs a fair bit of research to become available, but it's still just a cold calculation rather than a strategic decision.

Maybe someone could mod in a "minus fifty points if one tile from coast" into the calcuation to help out the AI, but that's not something I would know anything about. :)

Raze the city.

I actually have to give the AI some credit here for its placement of hamburg. I have been running into AIs overlapping alot. Usually, the AI would have founded its city on the grassland hill to its east overlapping a good portion of Berlin.

Which is pretty much what the AI does when settling cities: add up the number of bonus tiles in the city radius and settle in the spot that gives the highest number.

I would imagine that it's a weighted addition, ie giving more points for a gold that can be worked immediately than to a dye that needs a fair bit of research to become available, but it's still just a cold calculation rather than a strategic decision.

Interesting! But isn't it true that the AI always settles in place when it founds its first city? So if it's dealt a start one tile from the coast, there's no calculation at all?

I believe it does, as the map generator is designed to place each starting city in a good spot.

I almost always settle in place unless I can see a very good reason to change.

I sometimes wonder if the AI doesn't settle 1 tile away from the coast as part of some misguided effort to avoid amphibious assaults/bombarding. Regardless, it's annoying...

I almost always raze AI cities that mess up my plans for overall city placement. I don't care if it has every wonder and is the holy city for every religion and has 20 settled great people... I just can't stand the moronic places the AI puts their cities and I feel like capturing one just because it has a bunch of goodies inside is like "giving in" to the AI's lack of foresight. No surrender, I say! If the world loses all its wonders because of the dumb AI, then they asked for it!

Yes I know it's just a game... I get way too involved and personal with it :hammer2:

I almost always raze AI cities that mess up my plans for overall city placement. I don't care if it has every wonder and is the holy city for every religion and has 20 settled great people... I just can't stand the moronic places the AI puts their cities and I feel like capturing one just because it has a bunch of goodies inside is like "giving in" to the AI's lack of foresight. No surrender, I say! If the world loses all its wonders because of the dumb AI, then they asked for it!

Yes I know it's just a game... I get way too involved and personal with it :hammer2:

maybe if the AI could put its city in the optimal location you would never be able to capture it? ;)

It doesn't harm me if the AI build useless cities. it helps me win.

True, I sometimes smile when pointless cities are founded that will just cost the AI (even though they get a bonus in city maintainance or something to that effect). Nevertheless, I'd quite like to control the Christian holy city one day, and it's terrible position is a pain. That is, if I hadn't quit this game already.

I am the same way. I am stubborn about my placement. I can usually work some cities into my plans. (Especially on tectonics) But I have burned down some cities that would probably get groans from the forum over 1 little tile difference. But I honestly feel there is so much 'dead land' in the game, I MUST utilize all of it.

I am the same way. I am stubborn about my placement. I can usually work some cities into my plans. (Especially on tectonics) But I have burned down some cities that would probably get groans from the forum over 1 little tile difference. But I honestly feel there is so much 'dead land' in the game, I MUST utilize all of it.

Amen.
I'm also a bit perfectionist in real life, so I guess it's spilling over into my game.

MUST... HAVE PERFECT... USE... OF LAND!!! :twitch:

Seeing the AI Dutch, Portugal or Carthaginians cities 1 tile from being coastal just gives me the horsehockys!

Top Bottom