AI civilizations generate very few troops and cannot seriously invade me

Rhelan

Chieftain
Hi everyone.

First of all, I apologize for my bad English. I've been playing this mod for a long time and it's one of the most complete out there. However, in all my games something ends up happening that I would like to comment on: it is that the civilizations controlled by the AI do not generate enough troops, and they practically do not try to invade me. The game advances and they barely maintain the basic city defense troops, but they do not create attack troops, in the style of the original CIV IV, where you could find a huge concentration of troops that doubled or tripled those that the player had been able to create. If they declare war on me, I defend myself very easily.

I would like to know if this has any reason, is it due to some mods that I activate? Is it because of the difficulty level I put on the AI (noble) civilizations? In the end my games end up being very boring because everything depends on me, I develop calmly until I have enough troops to start invading other civilizations. And when there are wars between two AI civilizations, if one manages to capture a single city, it is a miracle.

After such a long time, what I want are games where the only way to win is through domination or war, so if you could help me to make sure this does not happen, I would be very grateful. Or if someone could tell me a post or website that indicates the recommended configuration to play this mod in the best way, it would be great. I have the latest version of this mod to this day.

Thank you all very much, and watch out for the barbarians :)

There are some things you can do. You can use Flexible Difficulty. This increases your difficulty as you play if you are doing well.

You can also edit Civ4HandicapInfos.xml. Decreasing iAITrainPercent will allow the AI players to train units faster.

Thank you
It was info without final s, reason windows can't find it.

I can see many users complaining about the AI not building many troops or military units generally speaking.They also make comparison with vanilla BTS where the AI seems to build enough units.This situation surely makes the AI less competitive and less aggressive.
In my opinion this happens because in RoMAND there are so many buildings available for construction at any era hence the AI has many items to build and the chances for generating military units are decreased.
So what about reducing the number of buildings in the mod?What if we tried a lighter version with fewer buildings and see how it goes?What do you think?

I'm in general against cutting A GREAT AMOUNT of content. Not against removing anything at all, just radical reduction.
If the problem really is the big amount of numbers - which is still a question for me - than there are other ways to approach the problem:
  • Increase AIWeight for buildings units and/or reduce for buildings
  • Make buildings more restricted. We have several ways to do it:
    • Require resource in city vicinity
    • Require other building in city
    • Require X number of other buildings (like Cathedrals)
  • Make some buildings free at certain eras
  • Make some National Wonders that give free buildings in all cities

Last edited:
rev 1052 tripled unit cost.. maybe it was too much?

Settings, settings, settings. It all depends on settings. Mapsize, Gamespeed, Handicap, Flexible Difficulty. It can't really be balanced for EVERY option since there are hundreds. But after testing TONS of games, I can assure you this is the best balance we can have. Anyway if someone doesn't like it, it's just a matter of XML editing. Just be cautious because some parameters are connected in the code and might end up causing unexpected results.

There are some things you can do. You can use Flexible Difficulty. This increases your difficulty as you play if you are doing well.

You can also edit Civ4HandicapInfos.xml. Decreasing iAITrainPercent will allow the AI players to train units faster.
This seems useful, I'll try 50% then instead of the default 100% then

Edit: Lmao ok played a game with 50% and AI stacks were terrifying. Maybe 80% then

Last edited:
Top Bottom