AI constantly removing "non-important" roads I build for them

FyreFly_

Chieftain
Current situation in my game:

In the early/mid game, Spain got murdered by the Shoshone with only 1 city remaining. I managed to get a voluntary vassal with them but they still ended up dying later on as I wasn't able to protect them. Even later on the owner of the Spanish cities changed from the Shoshone to the Assyrians. I bought the Spanish cities off of them, bringing Spain back from the dead but they're very behind. Thus I need to use my own troops to protect their cities. As you can see in the screenshot provided below, the terrain isn't the greatest for moving troops around so a road network is important. Unfortunately, military units cannot pass through cities with a road network and thus instead roads need to be built all around a city. The AI is removing these roads and is even removing a road leading to my cities! Why? Aren't I the one paying for all the roads anyways? I'm even giving them 200gpt.

Attachments

• 20210525140525_1.jpg
    20210525140525_1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 100
I am not sure you are supporting the cost of roads you build in your vassal territory.

Dang it I keep forgetting things because there's so many changes over the years lol but I seem to recall a conversation years ago and it was eventually changed that you do in fact support your own roads and railroad. It was viewed as possibly exploitable to run roads through your vassals or something.

Last edited:
Make a bug report on Github, please.

Oh, sorry! I didn't realize that this AI behavior is considered a bug.
We couldn't hope to understand what's going on as much as the devs. Doesn't hurt to come out here and ask so github isn't flooded with nonsense.

Oh, sorry! I didn't realize that this AI behavior is considered a bug.

No need to apologize. :)

Reports can also be used for feature requests. But yes, it is a bug, and I believe it was supposed to be fixed a while ago.

We couldn't hope to understand what's going on as much as the devs. Doesn't hurt to come out here and ask so github isn't flooded with nonsense.

It isn't hard to close an issue if a mistake was made. Better that potential problems are brought to our attention. :)

haha, i gifted my vassal 500GPT per turn then built him a rail network around his cities and to his citadels.
...then his workers went around removing them all.
like ghandi dude, i was trying to help you.

I don't know if this observation is circumstantial to my games, or actually a result of changes in VP, but seems there was an era of VP, maybe 1-2 years ago, where AI was content to leave most of these extra roads in-place... in games I've played lately i constantly see them lifting up the ones I've placed if they somehow acquire a city I had

probably should be tied to GPT somehow, to solve OP problem. low-GPT AI should lift up extra roads, high-GPT AI should tolerate many extra roads and maybe even seek to build some themselves

Top Bottom