AI doesn't build new cities

bender3000

Chieftain
Hi!

I've noticed a strange bug in C3C (fully patched):

It doesn't happen all the time but sometimes AI civs are stuck with only one city (capital), they don't send scouts or build more workers, although they do produce settlers... they're just staying in the capital - it's pretty annoying because there's no point in playing when all of you opponents just sit there and do nothing.

One more thing - they have "normal" starting conditions (generated by the computer) with food, shields etc. so it's not the problem of resources.

One question: Are you playing with Victory point locations on?

If you are, the AIs will never expand. They will continually build units. They do this becuase they are programmed to heavily guard vp locations. The problem is, if they only have one city, they can only support four units. The AI never thinks this is enough to guard the vp, so they build more.....They can't support it, it gets disbanded, the city now still has four units....They build another unit, can't support it, it gets disbanded, and they STILL have four units. See where it's going? The solution is to not play with vp locations on.

Welcome, btw. :)

One question: Are you playing with Victory point locations on?

No :/ but i found something different - it seems to happen more frequently when i play scientific/commercial civs (Greece, Korea). When I've tested it on other civs everythig worked fine... I guess no more scien/com civs for me...

OK, I did some testing with different settings and I have a theory:

playing as a scientific/commercial civ + regicide + lower difficulty levels = AI applies a really dumb strategy of stacking settlers/warriors and sending them out after some time -> maybe it was meant to be a counter measure against a player going for a high science output (scientific/commercial) and it just doesn't work very well...

the difficulty level doesn't change the strategy itself - on higher levels AI gets better bonusses so it just takes them less time to stack enough settlers and warriors...

Well I've tested it on a map without barbarians and it didn't help.
As I posted earlier it seems to be connected to scientific/commercial trait or the regicide rule - when playing as a civ different than Greece or Korea there was no problem (even with regicide)

Top Bottom