AI doesn't settle & expand

fredmeister

Chieftain
I played a couple of games, firstly on the 2nd difficulty and then more recently on the 3rd. Both times on a Huge world and Marathon speed.

I stopped both times in the industrial era because I noticed I'd have about 15 cities and each opponent would have about 3, rendering the game too easy and therefore boring.

Is there a way to fix this? Is there a way to play with AI opponents that are able to settle at more or less my speed? Ie, have about 15-20 cities by the industrial era, as opposed to 3?

I played a couple of games, firstly on the 2nd difficulty and then more recently on the 3rd. Both times on a Huge world and Marathon speed.

I stopped both times in the industrial era because I noticed I'd have about 15 cities and each opponent would have about 3, rendering the game too easy and therefore boring.

Is there a way to fix this? Is there a way to play with AI opponents that are able to settle at more or less my speed? Ie, have about 15-20 cities by the industrial era, as opposed to 3?

Turn off barbarians. I play the 'not another earth' mod map and it is ginormous with 20 civs and 45 city states and I also play on marathon and all civs spread. Some wait it out until 1900-1950 to do so but they all proceed to fill the map and filling a earth map of that size is empires spanning over 50 cities.

I turn off barbarians as they are immersion breaking for me, annoying, and love to gobble up AI workers and settlers (or sink their ships). I also turn off artifacts as the AI always get the great ones to speed themselves up and I end up with the lame ones like revealing more nearby barb camps when I have barbs turned off!

Play on difficulty 5 at least. Anything lower than that and the AI is completely stuck in 'Timmy!' mode. Difficulty 5 is right there in the sweet spot where the AI isn't out to kill you on site yet are not pushovers eating their boogers and playing with butterflies instead of building and researching.

Top Bottom