AI Open Border requests helpful?

thevinn

Chieftain
If an AI asks me for an Open Borders / Open Borders trade, what are the repercussions of accepting the trade versus refusing the trade? Obviously, I know that accepting the trade means we will have open borders. Does this improve or worsen relations respectively? Will an open borders AI be less likely to war dec me? Will he give me better deals on luxury trades?

Refusing trades have no effect. (refusing demands or refusing to help out a friend will have a diplomatic effect though)
I only allow open borders to civs I know ain't gonna go warmonger and eat me (ie: aggressive civs like Monty). But then I trade it for gold - never borders/borders.

Other civs borders: I only need them open for scouting or to get around an obsticle.

what are the repercussions of accepting the trade versus refusing the trade? Obviously, I know that accepting the trade means we will have open borders.

Acceptance:
Nothing happens. This is one of the ways that roleplaying or trying to behave intuitively, as the "more natural" diplomacy is suppose to reward and foster, is to your disadvantage as a player. It makes sense that open borders would be the first step toward diplomatic progress, but really it is meaningless. And as a player you have reason to suspect that it might be meaningful, since so much of the AI behavior is under the hood, at least compared to Civ4.

Refusal:
Opportunity to sell the open borders for 50 gold (if friendly, which a requester always is).

Since the last big patch, I always sell my open borders to everybody who's friendly as long as they give me at least 35 gold, and if they can't scrape up 50 gold I take 19 gold and 1 gpt.

A lot of people say "don't sell to warmongering neighbors!" but with the patch the odds that they're going to declare war anyway are extremely high, OB or no makes little or no difference, and I can do a lot with that money until they do.

On an islands map sell it to everyone. As they rarely send out units to actually explore over sea tiles the chances are remote that they will be able to figure out your military strengths

Top Bottom