AI Open Borders bug

CyberChrist

You caught my attention
Ok, this took place in a Large Archipelago game with 12 Civs.

Fairly early I met Catherine and we agreed to have Open Borders. Check.

A little further in the game I saw her approach my land with a Galley + Settler. Realizing that she was going for a piece of land I had not yet settled myself and that she needed to pass through my land to get there - I canceled the Open Borders agreement. Check.

She sails right through my borders/territory for 3 turns and then settles on the land I suspected she was going for!! Hey, cheating!

The turn after she settles another galley shows up with military troops and she declares war when that galley enters my borders. Heh, figures.

My conclusion is that she had already decided to attack me (the military troop galley was already on the way) when I canceled the Open Borders agreement and the AI therefor didn't see any problem with letting the galley with the Settler pass through my borders, since as far as the AI was concerned it was already at war.

War should of course officially have been declared as soon as the galley with the Settler entered my borders.

Yeah, this has been reported before. But I agree with you -- it would be a cool feature that you can enter hostile borders... it just starts war. It would be a lot easier than navigating the dipolmacy screen.

The Open Border bug currently on report is not the same as this one, but it may very well be related to this one though.

The one on report involves AI units not being removed from your territory upon canceling an Open Borders agreement - and AI possibly declaring war.

In my setup there was no AI units inside my borders when I cancelled the Open Border agreement and no war was immediately declared upon the cancellation. However, on the following turns the AI freely moved through my territory without an active Open Borders agreement or declaring war. It did eventually declare war a few turns later though.

Top Bottom