AI Pantheon Selection Feedback

axatin

Prince
AI pantheon selection logic has been completely reworked in 4.5.0. The AI now takes into account terrain and features, strategy/policy choices and neighboring civilizations when choosing a pantheon. What do you think of it? Are the AI recommendations shown in the pantheon selection screen reasonable? Do the other AI players pick pantheons well, or are there bad pantheon taken too often / good pantheons taken not often enough? Please provide your feedback here.

I haven't played enough to see the changes, but can you extend that to policies too? Ancient tree choices are almost always fixed for each civ.

So far my impression has been pretty good. while I haven't looked super closely (honestly didn;t know this was changed), I generally note that my pick and the AIs are generally in sync, it usually gives a trophy to what I think is a good pantheon for the situation.

Are the AI recommendations shown in the pantheon selection screen reasonable?
Huh. I've restarted several times this week and I never noticed a recommendation on this screen...

It's pretty good in terms of noticing what resources are nearby, though it misses some of the civ-specific ones, like God of the Expanse for Russia or Spain.

Huh. I've restarted several times this week and I never noticed a recommendation on this screen...
They look like trophies, a mod may interfere with this screen then.

Are the AI recommendations shown in the pantheon selection screen reasonable?
I dont recall how many suggestions ther usually are, but i remember that on regular basis i agree with at least 2 and disagree with 1 :)
But most of the time, i get none of them :)

Do the other AI players pick pantheons well
Its very hard to say, since, by the time, they do this, you dont have their capitol/expansion revealed.
But it has been a relief, not to ultra rush, for the "one and only" that guarante you a religion
One time AI took, Goddess of Beauty, with faith from wonders and palace, which i consider generally bad, but it turned out very stron religion.
So i guess, answer for this question would be very subjective :)
There were few instance, that AI had religion in some ridiculous speed, not sure why, maybe some good Natural Wonder.

The only problem i have right now, is that, ultimately for the player some pantheons are still bad, regardles of technically good starting location.
I had very start with Plantation resources so i took "Goddess of Springtime", rushed Herbalist and workers, and i lost like 1-2 turn befor getting the prophet..
Well, i was kinda pieced, so i reload game, change some decissions here and there, and i was ultimately able to get it.
The problem is that, i had jungle to chop, which technically was a not entire bad thing, since, after iron working its a production boost, but setting up all infrastructure and
the need for more workers then oponents that start on plains/grassland delays faith generation. So ultimately its bigger, but starts later.
Maybe i was too greedy, and wanted to get iron working before choping those jungles :) I decided, in such case, faith is more important than delaying it for little bit of production.
If you want reward civ with religion, basing on the healthiest size of faith generation, maybe prophets could be little bit more expensive? Just thinking out loud.
But then again, im guessing, that in case non instant pantheons, they usually have some specific building, that help them compensate they need build the improvements.

But my point it that, there are some weaker pantheons, that gave you decent flat right away, but because they are instant and accumulate over time, ultimately
they get you the religion, while your oponent, that is like 5 turns behind you chould have literally twice faith generation, might not get the religion..

But over all i see much bigger variations of pantheons, and i kinda like the current state.
Thou, on diety, when im doing shrine first, and do not get the religion, i usually prefere restart game, than play frustrated :)

One time AI took, Goddess of Beauty, with faith from wonders and palace, which i consider generally bad, but it turned out very stron religion.
Beauty is a solid pantheon with tradition play, especially if you tee it off with Stonehenge

They look like trophies, a mod may interfere with this screen then.
Hmmm I turned off the other mods and started a game with India. Couldn't notice any trophies... maybe I am blind.

In my last game as persia in a jungle heavy start it offered:
God of war
Renewal
Commerce

Solid choices for the play imo

it seems to be very good! AI in tundra will actually pick stars and sky now. amazing. And in general I see much more variety in pantheon selections

it seems to be very good! AI in tundra will actually pick stars and sky now. amazing. And in general I see much more variety in pantheon selections
Too soon :sad: America nicked that off me when I had a tundra start and then I missed out on founding for the first time in ages.

Top Bottom