AI tournament: Season 3

About the Info Screens: What is the actual logic of all those graphs? I understand that the Power graph represents the current number of active soldiers :)strength:) of each Civ. How about the others? Production could be the total number of :hammers: of each Civ. Gold..no idea how to count that but something to do w/ :gold: or :commerce:. Food crops? Is it like how much :food: you took up from the tiles per year?

About the Info Screens: What is the actual logic of all those graphs? I understand that the Power graph represents the current number of active soldiers :)strength:) of each Civ. How about the others? Production could be the total number of :hammers: of each Civ. Gold..no idea how to count that but something to do w/ :gold: or :commerce:. Food crops? Is it like how much :food: you took up from the tiles per year?

May I suggest the War Academy?
http://www.civfanatics.com/civ4/strategy/demographics.php

~~~

Everyone but Gandhi (who recently went 100% culture) was gunning for space.
The order of VCs would probably be Mehmed > Cyrus > Mansa~Ragnar~Washington > Gandhi (over 100 turns away - his 3rd city too crippled by being a vassal) with Tokugawa hopelessly behind.

Washington and Mansa both lost several key cities so it's difficult to tell who'd finish first. Probably Mansa because he was left with more population overall.

I still like Washington as wildcard and a nod towards Mansa. He did start next to enemies from all sides.

I'm glad my favourite won once again :p

I already with most of the previous posts: Cyrus runner-up and Washington wildcard

I'd agree with that too. Gandhi did well enough given his surroundings, better than I expected, but Washington really surprised, so he probably deserved it more.

Shows how tough it is to decide on points, and that score alone isn't enough.

Thanks for the link, Kossin! It was really shocking that Power graph doesn't mean # of units...

Thanks for the link, Kossin! It was really shocking that Power graph doesn't mean # of units...

Nope, other stuff counts too, like some technologies. If you're using a few decimals and have espionage on an AI, you can usually see the power ratio change a little when the AI research for example machinery.

When will the next match begin?

Out of curiosity i switched the starting positions of Memhed and Ragnar.

Mehmed expanded well, he settled 13 cities.
Ragnar DOW'd Mansa but won nothing.
Cyrus DOW'd Mansa and vassalized him.
Mehmed DOW'd Ragnar and vassalized him.

Toku DOW'd Washington and won nothing, they made peace.
Toku DOW'd Gandhi and Washington DOW'd Toku.
Toku lost a city to Washington and made peace with both.
Toku became a peace vassal of Mehmed.

Cyrus and Memhed DOW'd Gandhi.
Cyrus vassalized Gandhi.

Washington was DOW'd by Cyrus and a few turns later by Mehmed. He had 9 cities and lost them all, he never surrendered.

Cyrus and Mehmed were pleased with eachother so it looked like Gandhi would win by culture (he already had 2 legendary cities and needed 65 more turns while still being in Bureaucracy) or a spaceracewin by Memhed/Cyrus/Ragnar/Mansa.

There was a big (nuclear) war between the 2 factions in about 1900 where Cyrus went from 19 cities to 29 cities (not counting his vassals) but peace was declared eventually and in the end Memhed won the spacerace.

edit: Washinton won Liberalism in about 1130 AD.

Which game would you like to see next? Group A part 2? Group B? C? D?

Anyone is welcome to submit starting saves :yup:

When will the next match begin?

I was hoping for some feedback ^^
Seeing none so far, I'll try to get a map tonight and start. Time is not always available.

Out of curiosity i switched the starting positions of Memhed and Ragnar.

Mehmed expanded well, he settled 13 cities.
Ragnar DOW'd Mansa but won nothing.
Cyrus DOW'd Mansa and vassalized him.
Mehmed DOW'd Ragnar and vassalized him.

Toku DOW'd Washington and won nothing, they made peace.
Toku DOW'd Gandhi and Washington DOW'd Toku.
Toku lost a city to Washington and made peace with both.
Toku became a peace vassal of Mehmed.

Cyrus and Memhed DOW'd Gandhi.
Cyrus vassalized Gandhi.

Washington was DOW'd by Cyrus and a few turns later by Mehmed. He had 9 cities and lost them all, he never surrendered.

Cyrus and Mehmed were pleased with eachother so it looked like Gandhi would win by culture (he already had 2 legendary cities and needed 65 more turns while still being in Bureaucracy) or a spaceracewin by Memhed/Cyrus/Ragnar/Mansa.

There was a big (nuclear) war between the 2 factions in about 1900 where Cyrus went from 19 cities to 29 cities (not counting his vassals) but peace was declared eventually and in the end Memhed won the spacerace.

edit: Washinton won Liberalism in about 1130 AD.

Interesting alternative, kudos !

I was hoping for some feedback ^^
Seeing none so far, I'll try to get a map tonight and start. Time is not always available.

You could do it like in the World Cup for example (football), where they kick off all groups one by one. That way there will (hopefully) be excitement until the end in all groups. Then on the last stretch we'll know who progresses. If that's okay, I'd like to see group B next, then C and D, before going back to A.

I don't know which order that would make the games more exiting. It's fine either way by me.

Regarding the point system: Why not only give points to the winner?
(This issue is probably allready settled, but it is an easy solution)
If points should be awarded I think it's up to gamemaker (kossin) to award them.

A random idea that occured to me was for a group, let's say group A, to play the same map over and over with shuffled starting positions.
EDIT: Thanks Nothingontv for allready having tried this.

Mehmed does seem to have the edge in this one however.

An interesting observation about Mehmed! It looks like his opponents are most suitable to him than opponents of other AIs? And of course, if the land not the worst. By the way, what if to switch Mehmed and Gandhi? Or Gandhi and Washington?

Mehed just has the all round package and suits the AI game play very well. Could any other AI beat him on this map??? JC? Sury?? Hannibal??

@when doea the 2nd game start?

Group B Game 1 - Turn 1

After a few busy days... let's start the next group!

Here are the starting positions for each AI. I have done some edits to the map to equalize starts a bit, again. Victoria has received a small path to the south to avoid getting boxed in by Pericles. Napoleon was granted more some extra tiles to the south to allow him to get some cities in that directions. In any case, he may be too busy plotting on his neighbour to use it :evil: This time around, metals are available to AIs more easily as that seemed to nerf Ragnar somewhat last game.
Spoiler :

The original map with a focus on the spectator's island.
Spoiler :

As usual, the AI PoV is not always representative. For instance, here's the real cost of a workboat. Yup, just 60% in Ancient Era (it goes lower each new era).
Spoiler :

A look at the land overview. 2 peaceful techers in the north and 1 in the south. One psycho in the north and imperialists on the west and south ends.
Spoiler :

The save is joined if others want to run their own RNG !

Early favourites? Charlemagne tends to do well in AI hands but the backdoor cultural is always a possibility.

Is Napoleon's start too weak in your opinion?

Attachments

• S3GBG1.CivBeyondSwordSave
    56.1 KB · Views: 117
Pacal will do well if he can survive Napolean. Charlie is a good AI that will build large stacks, but i rarely see him really do anything with his strong positions. I've never been impressed with the Suleiman AI. Pericles could be a player here, he seems to expand well and is a pretty good techer.

@kossin, a boat costs only 60%? Isn't it too strange? What about other units? I thought that in BtS in Ancient era everything cost 80% of the original.

Top Bottom