AI unit jumps aside !?

LetMyPeopleGo

Prince
A strange thing happened to me in my current game, I got two Swordsmen three tiles apart and an enemy Crossbow partially injured ends his turn next to one of my swordsman, I attack him with my swordsman and instead of a battle the crossbow suddenly jumps one tile from his first place, for a moment I thought I was tired and not paying attention so I hit him with my second swordsman and again, it's jumping again, not an animated jump, it just disappears from it's original tile and pops up in an adjacent tile.

I'm playing with one mod that only balances stuff, no new units or combat stuff, never seen it before, the only new thing is I loaded a map named "Terra Incognita" which can be loaded from the online mods, it generates very nice and interesting maps, a lot of fun to play with, can a map cause such strange things to happen?

I'm saving my game now before each battle so I'll have a saved game to load.

Can anyone confirm such a strange behavior of the game?

Thanks for any help.

Was the civ you were playing against Inca? They have "slingers," which can retreat. It's possible they were upgraded to crossbowmen and kept that trait?

Was the civ you were playing against Inca? They have "slingers," which can retreat. It's possible they were upgraded to crossbowmen and kept that trait?

Thanks a lot docbud :king:, yes I was (and still are) playing against the Inca, I'm not familiar with the "retreat" trait and it's mechanism, but earlier in the game I've noticed the Inca "slingers" killing India's war elephants and I have noticed their interesting animation of action but haven't noticed the retreat maneuver until now.

Well, I will do some reading in the manual, maybe I figure out how to stop them from mocking me:confused:

Thanks a lot docbud :king:, yes I was (and still are) playing against the Inca, I'm not familiar with the "retreat" trait and it's mechanism, but earlier in the game I've noticed the Inca "slingers" killing India's war elephants and I have noticed their interesting animation of action but haven't noticed the retreat maneuver until now.

Well, I will do some reading in the manual, maybe I figure out how to stop them from mocking me:confused:

Range them. They can't dodge an arrow to the knee. Or have a unit behind them (multiple the better) so the odds of retreating drop a lot.

They're even more fun when upgraded to a rifleman. I once spent what felt like forever trying to kill one.

I'm kind of beginning to enjoy the option of facing the Inca, I still have to go for a final battle against them, I'll definitely use my best Longbow units to take out their upgraded slingers, and if rifling sneaks in, I'll keep some longbows as they are because when I upgrade them they lose the ranged capability (extra range for England) and indirect fire.

So an arrow to the knee it will be:viking:

Slingers indeed keep the retreat promotion when they become Crossbows.
They'll also retain it when they become Rifles, Infs, and Mech Infs.

^^That's good to know. I thought they did but wasn't sure. Thanks.

Top Bottom