AI victory attempt silliness

Nuwan

Chieftain
Granted its a complex game, and the AI is sometimes decent, but the AI can be very silly sometimes. Examples from Immortal/Deity

1. AI builds Apollo Project, but builds no Spaceship parts for next 30 years, even though it has completed the tech tree by then.

2. AI sits on huge piles of gold (I've seen as high as 80,000) even after building the United Nations, instead of trying to actively buy up all the City States.

I really hope that Firaxis spend some time improving the AI on all dimensions for the expansion. They can offset the improved AI by adjusting bonuses or handicaps for AI at different levels.

I think this would make for a much better game, partly because of the better AI, but also partly because you would not need as many ridiculous bonuses as you have at the higher levels.

I was very taken aback (and lost the game as a result) when I basically ignored Catherine in one Emperor game after she completed the Apollo Program and then didn't bother building spacecraft parts, especially since in previous games the AI has built half-complete spaceships and never finished them. When she finally started producing spaceship parts I wasn't in a position to stop her, and she completed the ship before my Utopia Project completed.

Agreed that this aspect of the game needs tightening - when the AI does go for victory, Civ V can have a much more engaging endgame than previous incarnations of Civ, where the AI often seemed to be there to provide character rather than an actual competitor. But there are lots of cases like those you describe when it simply doesn't happen.

They need to tighten up the system so handicaps are lessened when the AI is already ahead on the front they are handicapped on (e.g. if they have lots of gold, they shouldn't get maintenance handicaps). No one likes being at the mercy of a sporting AI that is just deciding they'd rather not win.

Top Bottom