ALC Game 18: Spain/Isabella

This is the time to choose a victory condition. Do you want to win by diplomacy or domination? Then, go with the expansion plan. If you go for a cultural victory, then the plans will be different. Code of Laws would provide a third religion, and theology could provide a fourth. On the other continent, Judaism is the only available religion. This could make a diplomatic win very difficult. The tools for a cultural victory are being researched and built. The third option, domination, would allow the use of conquistadors for their original purpose.

For a cheesy/easy win, have a confucian AP and spam buddhism elsewhere, for a more hard-earned win, have a buddhist AP and spam buddhism everywhere.

I agree with pretty much everything else you said, but this got me thinking...

Firstly, and although I have yet to try it myself, the easy AP victory sounds less cheesy than outright broken. I wouldn't like to see that in an ALC (especially one with such a strong start).

Secondly, if Sis doesn't go for the easy win, there are potential pitfalls in the 'spam buddhism everywhere' strat. Most notably, there's the chance of losing the election and getting our diplomacy dicatated to us - not good at all.

Even if we do get the Residency, we'll surely miss out on the best (non-broken) feature of the AP - the ability to drive a wedge between other civs with its 'embargo/war vs. the heretic' resolutions. Indeed, it would probably be very difficult to stop the Buddhist brotherhood having one huge love-in - which is bad in a lot of ways, especially in terms of their tech rates.

For the civs we've met so far, my approach would be to spread the AP religion to one - Lizzy if we're going peaceful, Pacal if we fancy some more conquering in the near future - and a different religion to the other*. Then, use the AP (or, failing that, good old fashioned bribery), to get the two civs to war with one another.

If Pacal is the heretic, the war will at least keep the two of them busy, build up our relations with Lizzy, and involve little or no effort on our part. If Liz is the heretic, then Pacal's cannon-fodder will provide an excellent distraction while we come in through the back door.

*Actually, we could spread the AP religion to one neighbour, and two or three religions to the other (to make sure they get minimal benefit from the religious civics, plus we can have more missionaries in the field/being built at once). Throw in a few non-AP religion missionaries to one or two of our buddy's high-pop cities, and we should be able to keep a firm grip on the papal sceptre.

Or am I missing something here (for a change... :rolleyes: )?

Even if we do get the Residency, we'll surely miss out on the best (non-broken) feature of the AP - the ability to drive a wedge between other civs with its 'embargo/war vs. the heretic' resolutions.

i actually requested that in the pre-game thread, altho since it was me it was naturally worded a bit differently ;)

the vote options are actually kind of more fun if there are civs who have the AP religion in their cities but not as their state religion, so that they're voting members but not full members. if the world is just full and non-members, you can't do funky stuff like "assign uMgungundluvu to its rightful owner". so, don't spam every single civ too much, give us some giggles ;).

i did this in my very first BtS game. built the AP, my religion had spread too much, so i spread another around to unsuspecting friends one by one and got them to convert so that the fun votes come up. if there's at least one non-member and one voting member, you should get the most choices about resolutions.

chances are high, since it's something i thought of too *giggle*

The easiest way to win the AP victory is to spread buddhism to all your neighbours (they'll eventually spread buddhism on their own to all their cities), then found christianity with theology.

Switch to christianity when you begin building AP, while you spread christianity to all your cities, but not your opponents! You'll have to wait, in case they decide to spread christanity on their own (i know Willem van Oranje do this a lot). Switch back to buddhism when youre done building AP- to keep up the good relations.

Just before you get caravels, make sure the most puny cities in each civ has christianity. Send in your holy armada to the rest of the world, and dont you forget to enable open borders as soon as you meet the new civs. Bing bang, and the shiny AP victory is yours!

It's soooo easy to win this way. I hope they change it in a patch.

Of course, you might not want it to be too easy- you'll want to use Izzys UU and UB after all, wont you ;)

Re: Sisiutil's dotmap

My only quibble is the brown city. I think there's room for two cities there, one to the north of the brown city's current location (grabbing all of those grassland tiles that are presently unworkable in the dotmap), and one to the southeast, to get the cows and wine. Neither of these are high priorities, but you'll want to get them built after you've finished your western expansion.

Each of these cities will have overlap issues, but if you are pursuing an AP victory and avoiding wars with your neighbors, it's an easy way to expand while you are sending your caravels of religious domination to faraway lands.

:agree:

I've also since warmed up to the settled-on Wine city, since it's about the only way to adequately make use of the land between Aachen and Barcelona.

Spoiler the slightly modified DotMap :

That being said, Gold/Cow/FP [Magenta] is #1 priority in my book, because it's great land and the only Gold we know of.

Cyan & Blue aren't are less appealing for their :food:/:hammers: but very appealing for their 'block' value against rival expansion.

I added black in the SW. It has great :food: and Forests for infrastructure rushing and ample River tiles for effective Cottaging. (I'm all about blocking rivals, so I'd probably build here second and chop/whip a Courthouse and Granary.)

Purple and Brown are the lowest of the low priorities, with Orange following shortly behind.

"Horizontal Phase" techs -- necessary to allow rapid expansion
Code of Laws (from Oracle)
Alphabet (300 beakers base cost)
Mathematics (250)*
Currency (300)

This is where I would focus. You can always come back later and build up. But, the opportunity to peacefully expand out only comes once.

Firstly, and although I have yet to try it myself, the easy AP victory sounds less cheesy than outright broken. I wouldn't like to see that in an ALC (especially one with such a strong start).

As much as I would like to see it done (maybe Sis can come back and show it to us as ALC 18 Part 2 :D), cheesy wins shouldn't be in ALCs.

For victory condition, I think we've all seen (and played) enough domination and conquest-empowered victories. I want to see the new AP put to use. Besides, wasn't that the idea with this ALC?

The fact that you could settle a second city and build the Oracle and axe rush/pimp-slap Charlie all by 1050 BC means that you sir, are a stud. :goodjob:
:lol:

I think all my off-line games as Julius Caesar helped. I tech through BW - The Wheel - IW, found a 2nd city to claim iron, then build/whip/chop barracks and Praetorians like there's no tomorrow, too bad if Rome and Antium are unhealthy later in the game, I'll deal with it then; right now, it's clobberin' time. I used the same attitude and techniques here.
Perhaps if the thread where used in the url:
Round 2
Thanks, I fixed that. The link should work now.
I agree with pretty much everything else you said, but this got me thinking...

Secondly, if Sis doesn't go for the easy win, there are potential pitfalls in the 'spam buddhism everywhere' strat. Most notably, there's the chance of losing the election and getting our diplomacy dicatated to us - not good at all.

Even if we do get the Residency, we'll surely miss out on the best (non-broken) feature of the AP - the ability to drive a wedge between other civs with its 'embargo/war vs. the heretic' resolutions. Indeed, it would probably be very difficult to stop the Buddhist brotherhood having one huge love-in - which is bad in a lot of ways, especially in terms of their tech rates.

For the civs we've met so far, my approach would be to spread the AP religion to one - Lizzy if we're going peaceful, Pacal if we fancy some more conquering in the near future - and a different religion to the other*. Then, use the AP (or, failing that, good old fashioned bribery), to get the two civs to war with one another.

If Pacal is the heretic, the war will at least keep the two of them busy, build up our relations with Lizzy, and involve little or no effort on our part. If Liz is the heretic, then Pacal's cannon-fodder will provide an excellent distraction while we come in through the back door.

*Actually, we could spread the AP religion to one neighbour, and two or three religions to the other (to make sure they get minimal benefit from the religious civics, plus we can have more missionaries in the field/being built at once). Throw in a few non-AP religion missionaries to one or two of our buddy's high-pop cities, and we should be able to keep a firm grip on the papal sceptre.

I agree that the cheesy AP win doesn't hold much appeal. I would also like to see the UU and UB in action. If I get to MT early enough, Conquistadors could still be facing off against plenty of melee units. The other advantage is that I shouldn't have to give them the soon-to-be-obsolete Shock promotion, making them better candidates for upgrading to Cavalry.

I like your Machiavellian plan for religious turmoil. Whoever of Liz or Pacal is leading in techs and score would become the heathen and our target.

As for other decision points, I'm definitely leaning very hard towards CoL from the Oracle right now for those very useful courthouses, even better now in BtS thanks to the espionage points. Barcelona, lacking a religion at the moment, would become the Confucian holy city. The main downside to CoL is I don't like trading it away, since that opens up Philosophy and Taoism to the AI. Unlike Metal Casting, which is great tech trading fodder.

But MC doesn't have a lot going for it on this map yet besides its trade value: only one precious metal (and no guarantee at this point that I'll be able to claim it); I'm not Industrious so forges aren't cheap and I won't really be able to build them for a very long time; and the Colossus won't really be useful unless the REX is successful, which leads me back to the handiness of CoL and courthouses.

On the very next turn, I have to see if I can capture those HRE workers before they try to scramble north to Prague. I also want to pillage the horse pasture. What I'm afraid of is that Charlie has built/whipped a Chariot or two. I only have one Spearman in the vicinity, and he's guarding Aachen right now. Good thing Barcelona is building another Spear, but more attacks on the HRE may be delayed until my vulnerable-to-Chariot-attack Axemen are properly protected.

EDIT: Thanks for the dotmap, OTAKUjbski. I found your dotmaps confusing at first until I figured out that all the chevrons refer to the +/- food situation on each tile.

EDIT: Thanks for the dotmap, OTAKUjbski. I found your dotmaps confusing at first until I figured out that all the chevrons refer to the +/- food situation on each tile.

is *that* what the heck that stuff is? so 2 red down thingies means it has no food, and 3 green ^s means it has 5 food, can feed itself with 3 food to spare? i don't understand those dot maps one bit, but everybody else does and i'm not a normal dotmapper so i never bothered to ask.

is *that* what the heck that stuff is? so 2 red down thingies means it has no food, and 3 green ^s means it has 5 food, can feed itself with 3 food to spare? i don't understand those dot maps one bit, but everybody else does and i'm not a normal dotmapper so i never bothered to ask.

Yep .. that's pretty much it. The basic idea is to visually represent how the tiles affect growth: red chevrons slow growth, and green chevrons speed growth (no chevron tiles support themselves).

I forget where I learned that ... I was looking at somebody else's dotmap a few months ago and liked it.

Basically, I try to plop down cities with either an equal or greater number of green than red chevrons.

Take the Magenta City, for example, at first glance I think "holy damn ... two Gold and two Flood Plains!" But once you count up all the food, farming the Flood Plains and working the Gold means only +2 :food: for growth (+3 with the Cows), so whereas the immediate support of 2 Gold Mines is great, it is otherwise a very slow-growing city.

I'm enjoying this immensely because for the first time in an ALC I played a shadow game and can now compare what I did to how Sisiutil and the group mind play. Already things have diverged from my game and it's cool to see this "alternate universe" and how it shapes up.

I think that going for the AP win is somewhat anticlimactic, but I've been playing around with it for a couple of games because of the buildup to this ALC, and I don't find it as easy as some. I'm probably just not balancing enough of having a massive empire of my own with the AP religion and just sending it to border cities of the rivals.

I have found it hard to spread the religion to everyone. Either I have difficulty getting open borders to send a missionary in, or someone is running Theocracy. I've only tried doing this for three games, but it's been a tough fight.

My first attempt worked out okay, even though I never got the AP win, because I built a good empire and got a space race. The other two times I got the AP win, but I needed it because my empire was pretty anaemic. I focused so much on trying for that win with diplomacy and everything sacrificing military and empire building, that I would have been properly screwed if I hadn't gotten it. And those wins still took a while because invariably somebody makes it difficult to get a city with my religion and/or someone spams it like crazy in their own civ and gets enough votes to abstain and thwart me.

It's not a great win by any means, but I don't think it's cheesy in the sense that it's easy.

I think that going for the AP win is somewhat anticlimactic, but I've been playing around with it for a couple of games because of the buildup to this ALC, and I don't find it as easy as some. I'm probably just not balancing enough of having a massive empire of my own with the AP religion and just sending it to border cities of the rivals.
Ideal situation for the win:
- you have the AP religion in all your cities, and you grow them as much as you can.
- no one else has the AP religion
- you then proceed on converting ONE and only one of each civ's city, preferably their lowest pop city.

I have found it hard to spread the religion to everyone. Either I have difficulty getting open borders to send a missionary in, or someone is running Theocracy. I've only tried doing this for three games, but it's been a tough fight.
If they run Theocracy, simply give them the missionary instead of spreading it yourself. They will happily spread it. You don't get to chose the city, but it's a lesser evil.
If they won't agree to open borders, get a small stack together, take their remotest city, spread the religion in it, then sue for peace ASAP, gifting them the city back to ease the negotiation.

kniteowl: Why does he need Monarchy now? Shouldn't he be more focused on horizontal expansion then vertical expansion? Besides Monarchy is generally one of those key techs the AI generally researches early which he can trade for once he picks up Alphabet. I don't see him building garrison units for extra happy to grow his cities in the next round. More likely expansion and rex.
For +2 Happy; no extra garrison units required. I agree that he should expand rapidly, but not to the point of doing a lot of Settler whipping, if that's what you mean concretely by focusing more on horizontal expansion than vertical expansion.

Sisiutil: I take it you're talking about cottaging up all those grasslands [on my front lawn] then. But neither city will have much in the way of production, will they?.
Yeah, I am. They'd have as much production as they'd need.

Ideal situation for the win:
- you have the AP religion in all your cities, and you grow them as much as you can.
- no one else has the AP religion
- you then proceed on converting ONE and only one of each civ's city, preferably their lowest pop city.

If they run Theocracy, simply give them the missionary instead of spreading it yourself. They will happily spread it. You don't get to chose the city, but it's a lesser evil.
If they won't agree to open borders, get a small stack together, take their remotest city, spread the religion in it, then sue for peace ASAP, gifting them the city back to ease the negotiation.

You can also force a civic change with spies.

Wow! Last time I checked this thread things seemed pretty grim for Sis. The silly map generator dropped him right into a cage match against Chuckie, a leader seemingly made for the AI to use and abuse . . . But Sis whipped his Holy Roman butt harder than I dared to hope. Well done! :goodjob:

Now you just need to keep on spanking him till he drops off the scoreboard . . . :lol: As you grow your civ like a cancer of course . . .

I focused so much on trying for that win with diplomacy and everything sacrificing military and empire building, that I would have been properly screwed if I hadn't gotten it. And those wins still took a while because invariably somebody makes it difficult to get a city with my religion and/or someone spams it like crazy in their own civ and gets enough votes to abstain and thwart me.

It's not a great win by any means, but I don't think it's cheesy in the sense that it's easy.

yeah see that to me is cool. you won by AP but you still had to struggle with diplomacy! the part to me that seems cheesy is how the vote comes up only if ever civ has the religion but has no other requirements, so then percy's situation comes into play and you can cheese it all the way. you had try for it and you did good :). IMO, at least. keep in mind that i'm the weird one who love to go for OCC diplomatic victory, where you kinda sorta have to get other people to vote for you *giggle*.

Forts don't make the inland city a port.

You could chop/whip a forge into Barcelona fairly quickly. Charlie may give you the run around, reducing the number of settlers you can produce. The REX is an attractive strategy, but not for Isabella.

Round 3: 1050 BC to 290 BC

As the round opened, the war against Charlemagne continued. I also followed some advice received here regarding foreign relations:

I also opened borders with Pacal, all of which resulted in a couple of additional GPT, which is very handy at this point in the game.

I changed my research:

Like I said, I prefer to tech trade for Monarchy, one of the AI's favourite techs.

On the next turn, the Oracle completed, and I chose my free tech:

Yep, Code of Laws for the Courthouses to save on city maintenance and boost my espionage points. Founding Confucianism isn't half bad either:

I still had not, at this point, chosen a state religion. As you'll see, both decisions (CoL from the Oracle, remaining uncommitted SR-wise) turned out to be quite fortuitous.

With that done, I continued whipping and chopping Axemen in order to take out Prague.

I put the overflow that time into a Hindu Temple, as you can see, so I could accelerate the arrival of my first Great Prophet. In Barcelona, I put the overflow from one whip into a Granary, to help with future whipping.

While all this was going on, another civ showed up:

Yeesh, another protective civ, and with an early UU, too. Fortunately, as you'll see, Sitting Bull is quite far away and not really a concern. I've had him as an opponent in a couple of games now and I've found that he's relatively easy to get along with and techs very slowly. By the middle of the game he's usually quite weak. So, not really a problem unless he's next door the way Charlemagne was this time.

The Hindu Temple was in place shortly after that, and helping to accelerate the Great Prophet:

Meanwhile, I kept building Axemen and plugging away at Alphabet. Finally, in turn 150, 350 BC, I had it. Unfortunately only Elizabeth was willing to trade techs:

I used to be very reluctant to trade away Alphabet, but it's such an expensive tech that by the time it's done it's usually the only one I have to offer. And all things considered I thought this was a pretty good deal. Turns out I do have a source of Iron, just barely, exactly 3 tiles south of Barcelona. Good thing that wound up being a holy city and that I remained without a state religion long enough for its borders to pop twice; the iron is now within my borders. It can also be worked by the city Jet was advocating, 3W of Madrid's rice, which would be 1E of the iron.

Seeing that Pacal was as yet unwilling to trade techs made me realize I'd better do some work on the diplomatic side. So even though Sitting Bull had gone Hindu and Liz hadn't converted to anything yet, I became a Buddhist:

Since Isabella is Spiritual, it would be easy enough to change to another faith later if the need arises. For now, though, attempting to spread Buddhism to Liz seems like a good idea to keep the peace.

I finally felt ready to go after Prague. This time I had a stack of 14 Axemen. By the time I was in a position to attack, the city's garrison had grown to 4 promoted protective units:

Yes, my research was in the tank thanks to all those units being outside my cultural borders. But we've seen what happens next countless times in the ALCs. Remember the Hatty game? As several of my units die, my economy gradually recovers. Ironic, no?

So 5 Axes had to die before the odds started turning in my favour. Even then the odds weren't great:

However, fortune continued to favour the bold. As before, once the odds went above 50%, my units started winning their fights.

I kept Prague. As I mentioned in the dotmap post, it's in the best position to work those tiles in that area. And now I have a source of horses, too! I just have to get my Workers over there to pasture that tile, then I'm off to the races. Good thing, too--the first barb Axeman showed up and killed one of Aachen's protectors. I was able to kill him right back, but obviously Chariots would be better.

Charlemagne had a couple of Workers and a Settler wandering around the northern woods. I was hoping to get lucky in that regard too--I only had 3 Workers at this point, 2 of them captured from Charlie. Whaddya know, on the next turn his hapless Settler wandered too close to my Spearman:

Charlie had one city left, Vienna, just west of Aachen. It's a very unfortunately-situated city.

First off, it's on a hill. Darn. Second, it's 1N of the spot I dotmapped. So while it picks up an extra floodplain, it fails to claim the 2nd gold tile and has 2 peaks and a desert in its fat cross. Lastly and worst of all, it has a source of iron.

Well, I don't even want to try to work out how many Axemen it's going to cost me to claim that city. I have my own iron source now, so I figure I could come back at Charlie in a few turns with a few Swordsmen. Besides, Charlie had some techs he was willing to part with to ensure his survival:

I figured that was worth it. I'll suffer a diplomatic hit with Pacal, at the very least, when I declare war on Charlie again, but I think the shared religion will eventually more than make up for that. And I got two free techs for my trouble, which no one else was willing to trade to me.

And that's pretty much where the round ended. I haven't founded any more cities, though I did manage to capture one. A state of the world post will follow to establish some of the decision points.

Attachments

• Sisiutil BC-0290.CivBeyondSwordSave
    139.8 KB · Views: 101
The State of the World, 290 BC

It's a little early in an ALC for a State of the World post, I guess, but there are several important decisions I have to make in the next round.

First, though, here are a few relevant screenshots.

The map of Spain, suitable for more dotmaps if needed:

What to do about Vienna? Is it even possible to take down a protective capital on a hill? I'm willing to try, but I think it's going to cost me a lot of Swordsmen and Axemen. I'm reluctant to wait until Construction, that could be a long way off, and remember that Charlie is Imperialistic and will likely do his best to out-REX me. Granted, that saves me Settlers, but as you've seen, it's cost me a lot of Axes.

And assuming I take Vienna, do I keep it or raze it? I don't like where it's positioned; it should be 1S. But I think I'll need to have a Settler ready to go to replace it immediately, or Liz will claim the spot. As it is, I'm going to have to culture the city up to fend off York's claims to the area.

Here's another, larger map of the continent that shows more of the various civs' positions.

Hoo boy. That's a lot of very attractive, unclaimed land to my southwest. But also a lot of jungle, which takes a lot of work to clear. Notice that England is to my west, Maya is far to the south. As we saw before, I have plenty of good city sites around my current territory, if I can just beat the AI to them. Perhaps I should let Liz and Pacal expand into that territory and either trade for those resources or take them from their cold, dead hands when I'm in a better position to afford the additional cities.

Sitting Bull, by the way, is that little bit of brown border at top left. So near as I can figure, he's on another continent that's within easy sailing distance. That bodes well for spreading whatever religion we choose over there.

And yes, there's a barb city that has popped up in the middle of Spain, on the coast in between Aachen and Madrid. I think my Axemen should attack it during the brief peace I'll have with Charlie. I also think I should raze it. It was the original position I thought of for a city in that area, but I prefer one on top of the wine now. Besides, waiting for a barb city to grow to 2 pop can be extremely frustrating.

The Domestic Advisor:

Mostly domestic builds, but that could change depending on the advice I receive here. It may be time to build a Settler or two. I could claim that ivory/flood plain site south of Aachen, for example.

Military Advisor:

I mainly posted this because I thought it was hilarious that I'm exactly 1 XP away from my first Great General! That's what I get for being all peaceful.

Besides that, however, yes, I have my 1st Great Prophet. The next one will appear in around 50-some-odd turns--quite a while, though building another temple once I spread Buddhism to Madrid and running another priest specialist will accelerate that. I could build the Moai statues in Madrid to help further.

How should I use the GP? I could pop him for Monotheism at this point, which seems kind of :smoke:, though--Judaism has already been founded and Charlemagne has Monotheism. I doubt he'll trade it to me, but he may trade it to someone friendlier. Liz has Alphabet, remember; that can be an advantage, albeit a risky one, of trading away that tech.

I could also use him for a shrine, probably the Buddhist one to help spread that religion and aid my economy, which could use a little help. Every time my army marches out of Spanish territory, my economy teeters on the brink of collapse.

Or I could save him to pop Theology. I'd have to either research or somehow trade for Monotheism first.

Tough call. Thoughts?

Oh, and what should I do with the Confucian Missionary? Normally I use the free Missionaries to spread religions to my best science city so I can build monasteries there, but a while back someone pointed out the advantage of using the Missionary for scouting and/or for making someone a heathen, a strategy we've discussed more than once in this thread.

I need more Workers. Even though I'm Expansive I've only built one Worker; then again, the Expansive Worker build boost has been severely nerfed. I was, frankly, expecting to capture more from Charlie. Chariots may help with that, those little buggers are too speedy for my Axemen.

The power graph:

Heh. You can see exactly when I took cities from Protective Charlemagne.

Top 5 cities/wonders:

Ooo, look at Madrid at the top of the list! For now, anyway. Liz built the Great Wall--she'll have a Great Spy before too long and will likely surpass me in espionage pretty soon. And Pacal built both Stonehenge and the Temple of Artemis, making him a very attractive target. I don't know--conquering my continent is looking more and more attractive. Isabella may just turn out to be a warrior queen this time around. It would give me a chance to show off both the UU and UB, after all.

Foreign Relations:

Nobody loves me just yet, but the shared faith could change that. We'll need to consider spreading a non-AP religion to either Liz or Pacal to stir up trouble.

Techs:

Charlemagne has Iron Working, which is troubling, as it means I could be facing Axes, Swords, and Spears in Vienna. Fortunately he doesn't have the iron mined just yet, but I think I'll have to declare war as soon as 10 turns are up and pillage that tile before he can build up a stronger force.

I'm also the tech leader, thanks to Priesthood. That probably won't last. It also means no one else is going to have Monarchy anytime soon. I could keep researching Currency--it's an extremely worthwhile tech, after all. Meanwhile I can cross my fingers and hope one of the friendlier civs gets Monotheism.

Anyway, that's where things stand at this point. The game is going well but is by no means won just yet. I have an uphill struggle--literally--to finally eliminate Charlemagne from the game, and several other challenges besides.

Sounds like fun! :goodjob:

1. Charlie

Charlie is a degenerate settler-spamming REXer. He uses Imperialistic like no other leader I've seen. Thank Buddha he's not creative too ... yeesh.

Your military screen says you have 16 axemen and 2 spearmen. You picked up Archery from Lizzie, IIRC. Why not build 4 archers as garrison troops for your current cities and hit Charlie with these 18 troops (plus whatever swords you can whip out after your iron mine is done) and knock out Vienna? Chances are he's going to try to settle a city now that he's at peace again, and I doubt he'd have more than four protective archers in there. You'd have 4:1 odds with some promoted units. Just send in the green troops first. ;)

2. The Economy

Your present dearth of cash is mainly due to a lack of income, not high expenses. You need cottages like Charlie needs skin cancer treatment (he either spends *way* too much time in the sun, or in his cups).

So I think cranking out a few workers for a cottage spam and finishing currency (deficit research-spending, funded by taking out Vienna) should help a ton. Building a courthouse in Aachen and Prague will free up a little money, as will sending your Axes of Doom (tm) to Vienna, into the valley of the shadow of death. It ain't the Crimea, but it'll do.

3. The Prophet

You nailed it --50 more turns until you get another one. This prophet is your Theology-popper. With your economy on the brink there is no way you can tech to Theology and hope to finish the AP before the AI. The AP is an expensive wonder with no resource to make it cheaper, so you have to start it early and chop like a madman to get it done.

This means you have to lay your hands on Monotheism, as you noted. I would imagine that you could easily snag it by offering up Currency in exchange.

4. The Confucian Missionary *EDIT*

Why not send him to Madrid to spread Confucianism? This will let you build a Confucian Temple (cheaply too, I might add), which will raise Madrid's happy cap by 1 and allow another priest specialist for more GPPs.

5. Razing or Keeping Vienna and the Barb City *EDIT*

There's something to be said for just taking the cities as is. Razing them means you lose their buildings (if any), have to build a settler to rebuild the city, and run the risk of the AI beating you there. Both of the cities are not horribly located -- they're just not exactly what you would have done. With your economy hurting, my vote is to capture and keep 'em.

You need to finish Charlemagne off ASAP or he'll spread like mad to his south and you'll be chasing him down for a thousand years or so. Obviously you need some cottage spam while this is happening so a few more workers would obviously be good.

I don't see how you can afford to REX to the southwest with your economy in such bad shape and trying to tech towards the AP.

Still a very strong start!

Out of curiosity do you play most of your offline games at monarch?

hilled protective archers

3*(2.85) = 8.55 str... you' probably be facing 3 or 4 of those :S.

The losses seem too great in my opinion, Construction isn't far away wait till then but take any of his secondary cities if he decides to expand they'll be lightly defended, with zero culture and 2 archers probably. If you do use those 16 Axeman and lose 12 of them in capturing the Capital how many hammers did you sacrifice for a sub optimal location? 35H*12= 420H that's 80 hammers less then the Pyramids or AP. :S

the dark blue dot with horses deer and crab has already been claimed by Lizzy so that's out but you should take that southern horse/Ivory or Horses/Fish next.

I agree you should be cottaging To increase income preferably river side cottages.

The next techs I'd go for after currency would probably be maths and Construction for Cats if you don't Axe rush him.

Just expand peacefully Until Construction I Say and cottage up your core cities.

Top Bottom