[GS] "All" artifacts are from my own civ

Oberon4278

Chieftain
This has happened in two games in a row.

Almost all (over half) of the artifacts I unearth are from my own civ, with no choice to pick a different one. This makes theming my museums almost impossible. Even giving away the artifacts to the AI doesn't help because my museums are filling up with crap that my citizens have already seen.

I'm playing on a larger map (I have a mod that allows bigger maps than normal) so I have room for ~seven archaeology museums, and I aggressively dig up artifacts from other civs' territory. So "just go somewhere else" isn't the solution. After clearing the entire map of every artifact (not including shipwrecks) I'm at 47% from my own civ.

I don't think it's a mod issue because I've grepped my mods folder for "ARTIFACT" and nothing comes up. Or, rather, a few things come up but I disabled the mods that touch anything artifact related after the first time this happened and it didn't fix the issue.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Last edited:
The artifacts where my civ started are usually mine or barbarian. In order to get artifacts from other civis, sometimes I dig artifacts near the border of other civs or even inside their territory. You can take one and promise not to take more. I have take down some civ, I might dig the artifacts in locations of different civilizations.

Yes, I know, I have avoided digging up artifacts in my own territory and have almost exclusively removed them from places far away, or in ally territory. (They don't seem to mind.)

I always dig up one artifact from each AI opponent. They yell at you, you say My Bad, and they give you free favor. It's a win win.

Okay, I apologize for being snarky and this isn't all about you. Someone else annoyed me already this morning. But... you're saying the solution to my problem where all my artifacts are from my own civ, is to just dig up artifacts from a different civ.

Because I didn't think of that already.

I should have been more explicit in my original post (I'll edit it now for clarity) but to be clear, I built about seven archaeology museums and cleared the entire map of artifacts before I revealed shipwrecks. 47% of them are from my own civ.

Oddly, none of the other civs seemed to mind.

47% sounds about right. Antiquity sites are created from battles, tribal villages, ect. The AI tend to not bother with these as much. I've found an un-cleared tribal village right out side an AI city on turn 200. I think there is something in the code that the AI will only clear a tribal village with a scout because I've seen their warriors walk right by one and let my scout take it. They also tend to ignore barb camps quite often, CS however kill barbs left and right.

I thought I had it bad when I had an entire museum devoted to Lahore. At least I had a theoretical choice.

Are there mods that allow theming artifacts if they are all from the same civ but different eras? I miss that...

Top Bottom