Sith or Jedi?

• Sith

Votes: 32 37.2%
  • Jedi

Votes: 51 59.3%
  • Chuck Norris

Votes: 3 3.5%

• Total voters
(Lord Neetha commander of the Avenger, assigned to Vader's Death Squadron.)
As aristocratic and genteel as he was, I believe that's a typo. Although I can't remember for the life of me if his given was stated in the novelization of the Empire Strikes Back (which I read back in Junior High, and I've already been shown, on this sub-forums to have a few misrememberings of it), in the novelization of Revenge of the Sith, which is fresher, relatively-speaking, when the main Separatist ship that, at the start, had been leading the bombardment of Coruscant and had the enginered, "captured," of Palpatine had resolved his, "rescue," by Anakin and Obi-wan, the defeat and beheading of Dooku, and the flight of Grievous, then Anakin, Obi-wan, and Palpatine's, "escape," in a scene one of many scenes in Stover's novelization not in the official movie (quite a few of which were special features cut scenes), a Republic Fleet cruiser arrives, and a, "Lietenant Commander LORTH Needa," appears on the vidscreen and orders the shooken and uncommanded Separatist ship to surrender.

Anyways, coldolences and APOLOGIES.

Trailer tomorrow. Premieres June 4th.

The Acolyte Teaser Poster Resized.jpg

Poster looks serious, let's hope the show is the same.

It was also confirmed that The Acolyte will have more Jedi than any other film or show and that it is "Frozen meets Kill Bill."

The creator of The Acolyte -

“Whatever You Think The Acolyte Is, It’s Not”: Star Wars Series Creator Leslye Headland​

Revels in the First Teaser Trailer​

The showrunner behind the Star Wars Original series, debuting June 4 on Disney+, talks about her film influences and love of Legends lore.

Like a red lightsaber zinging through a serene forest, the first teaser for The Acolyte has arrived.

“Vernestra Rwoh opening a door might be my favorite part of the trailer,” showrunner Leslye Headland tells StarWars.com. “It's like ‘What's up? Listen, I haven't opened a door in 100 years,’” Headland says with a laugh.

The mystery-thriller, which debuts June 4 on Disney+, upends the typical Jedi hero tale for a story focused on the dark side disrupting a Jedi Order in its prime. And Headland can’t wait to show us more.

The creator of the newest Star Wars live-action series first discovered the galaxy far, far away as a teenager watching the Special Editions on the big screen and immersing herself in the expanded universe of books, like Timothy Zahn’s Heir to the Empire. “I think it just meant so much to me because it was a place to live, a place to escape to,” Headland says. “Not just the media, but…George [Lucas] had given you enough signposts that it's almost like Narnia. You could just go [into the Star Wars galaxy] and live there. And then you just have to come out of the wardrobe at some point and go to class.”

When she landed the job to tell her own Star Wars story with The Acolyte, Headland got a tattoo of Ralph McQuarrie’s original concept art of Princess Leia Organa on her right hand. The ink served as a constant reminder of where the galaxy began as she penned her own unique tale. As Headland talks on a recent morning, the small Leia on her right hand moves in a flurry of exhilaration. It’s impossible for her to contain her joy as fans take their first steps into the larger world of The Acolyte.

The underdog versus the institution

The teaser trailer features stunning fight choreography as series star Amandla Stenberg’s character Mae faces off first with Carrie-Anne Moss as Master Indara and then Lee Jung-jae’s Master Sol. On set, the trio’s skill, coupled with the support of the stunt team, was captivating. “I was really impressed. Carrie-Anne Moss, Amandla Stenberg, and Lee Jung-jae — he really blew me away with how much of his own action he did!” Headland says. “The way that they challenged themselves, they understood that it was important, emotionally, for the audience to see their faces.”

The series is a love letter to some of Headland’s favorite martial arts sagas and samurai films, like Come Drink with Me and Yojimbo, with a fighting style crafted after wushu. Given that the era of the High Republic is a time free of galaxy-embroiling wars, Headland chose to focus her storytelling on more personal conflicts and smaller one-on-one battles to reveal the new characters on-screen.

Set during the era of the High Republic, The Acolyte will begin to unravel how an esteemed organization like the Jedi Order could be in its golden age and also on the cusp of the chaos that unfolds in the Skywalker saga. “If Star Wars is about the underdog versus the institution, [in The Acolyte] the Jedi are the institution,” Headland says. “I was so interested in a storyline where the Jedi were at the height of their power — and I don't mean The Phantom Menace, because at that point, there's a Sith Lord in the Senate that they're not picking up on.” Headland wanted to explore further back, when seeing a Sith seemed as likely as encountering a velociraptor. “Like it's a thing I've heard of, but it's not a thing that you would ever consider you'd be interacting with. "With a darker tone focusing on the duality that exists beyond the simplistic black-and-white view of good versus evil, The Acolyte asks a key question before the fall of the Jedi: “What went wrong?” Headland asks. “And if the bad guys are actually the underdog, it just seemed like a cool reversal.”

Legends and other lore

Beyond the other film influences, Headland has infused her love of the original films, current books, and Legends lore into the story. “There were certain things that I really wanted to do. You'll see a half Theelin, half human Jedi, Jecki, played by Dafne Keen, which was always a dream of mine,” Headland says. She first fell in love with the species when Rystáll Sant joined the

Max Rebo Band in the Special Edition of Return of the Jedi. “There's also some EU lore that I decided to put in because I thought it was so cool and no one told me I couldn't,” she adds with a laugh. The series will introduce a Zygerrian Jedi and canonize one species that’s yet to be seen, Headland reveals. “There are a couple of really big EU ideas that are utilized both early on in the series and later in the series,” she hints.

Fans of the best-selling High Republic books and comics that kicked off the era will recognize Mirialan Jedi Vernestra Rwoh, played by actor Rebecca Henderson. The character makes her live-action debut about 100 years older than the teenage prodigy we first met in The High Republic. “I'm just so excited for people to see her in this show because she is so different,”

Headland says. “She’s very rarely in the mission robes adventuring and dreaming. I think, as the show goes on, you'll understand why. She has seen so much and she is so in-tune and in love with the Force. Here she's much more of a high-ranking official. The other Jedi revere her. I'm just really excited for people to see her in this show and to see the performance.”

As the first live-action interpretation of the High Republic era, Headland hopes it will be a welcome entry point for newcomers, whether or not they’ve read the books or watched other Star Wars series. “You don't need to know too much to enter the story,” she says.

In fact, like Sol notes in the trailer, our eyes may well be deceiving us. “This is very incendiary,” Headland says before signing off, a glimmer of mischief in her eye. “But whatever you think The Acolyte is, it’s not that. It's a drop in the bucket, baby. Just hang in there and check it out.”

I only realized in the last couple of days that The Acolyte is being done by Leslye Headland, who was the head writer and showrunner for the first season of Russian Doll, with Natasha Lyonne (which is awesome, if you haven't seen it - it's on Netflix). I was on the fence before learning that and seeing the trailer, but I've put this on my "things to watch (out for)" list now. :thumbsup:

You, uh, got an opinion on the very factual statement of "the creator of the show"?

EDIT - I just realised the quote might not have caught the quote, so maybe you were referring to the piece. Hard to tell from just the emoji though 😅

Last edited:
You, uh, got an opinion on the very factual statement of "the creator of the show"?
Pretty self explanatory. Creator = Leslye Headland = 🤮

Having said that I'm willing to give the show a chance because it is Star Wars branded regardless of my feelings about the showrunner. I also do really like several of the actors/actresses - Dafne Keen, Carrie-Anne Moss & Lee Jung Jae.

*Edit - As an interesting point Lucasfilm/Disney is touting the number of views the trailer had, of course omitting the large number of thumbs down ratio.

Acolyte Trailer Reactions.jpg

Last edited:
As an interesting point Lucasfilm/Disney is touting the number of views the trailer had, of course omitting the large number of thumbs down ratio.
Oh, is it some weird brigading thing again? I'm not aware of any controversy, and The Acolyte certainly doesn't seem to be being received poorly (unlike the trailer for The Crow remake).

I mean, I'm probably asking the wrong person if you're biased against the showrunner :D (not a negative, there are plenty of people I don't like and wouldn't watch stuff by).

Oh, is it some weird brigading thing again?
I don't know what this means.

I'm not aware of any controversy, and The Acolyte certainly doesn't seem to be being received poorly (unlike the trailer for The Crow remake).
Once again the fan community is split, and not in a good way. From all the fan sites and groups I belong to the reception has been lukewarm at best. I mean the downvotes on the trailer, also reflected in multiple outlets that posted it, is a good visual indicator.

I mean, I'm probably asking the wrong person if you're biased against the showrunner :D (not a negative, there are plenty of people I don't like and wouldn't watch stuff by).
Like I said, I'll give it a chance like all SW entertainment and judge it based on the story irrespective of my personal feelings. I mean I did thumbs up the trailer after all! 😉

Once again the fan community is split, and not in a good way. From all the fan sites and groups I belong to the reception has been lukewarm at best. I mean the downvotes on the trailer, also reflected in multiple outlets that posted it, is a good visual indicator.
Anecdotally, all the Star Wars fans I know (across a range of countries) are pretty burned out on everything having to be One Big Universe (which, personally, I'm a sucker for - just as I am with the MCU for all its ups and downs), but find this looks at least interesting.

The Internet seems to be banging on about the usual "woke Disney" stuff and apparently some opinions from the showrunnner, and I tend to ignore all of that for the white noise I personally believe it should be treated as. I honestly had no idea before looking up the likes / dislikes thing.

Coming to a discount chain near you Christmas 2024.
haha, maybe the villians might sell when they are revealed...there's that Wookie too, maybe a younger Yoda and Yaddle and witches to unreveal.
------------

Some more puke emojis on the way -

‘Star Wars: The Acolyte’ Creator Leslye Headland Talks the Unique Perspective of Her Upcoming Series​

The writer-producer says the series, set 100 years before 'The Phantom Menace' will have a 'Rashomon'-like quality to its storytelling.

e Headland is currently putting the finishing touches on a four-year journey that started with Lucasfilm boss Kathleen Kennedy buying her overall series pitch in the room. At the time, her hook was “Frozen meets Kill Bill,” and now the first trailer provides a few more of the puzzle pieces. Set a century before Star Wars: The Phantom Menace, Amandla Stenberg’s mysterious character appears to be hunting Jedi during a time of peace near the end of the High Republic era.

The trailer kicks off with Lee Jung-jae’s Jedi Master urging a group of Padawans to not trust their own deceitful eyes, and perhaps the same can be said of the trailer and the series’ overall narrative. The show will be taking a page out of Rashomon’s playbook, exploring different perspectives on the same events.

“One thing to know about the show is that we’ve been talking about it as a mystery-thriller. It is a serialized story, so each episode gives you more information about the story,” Headland tells The Hollywood Reporter. “We were obviously influenced by samurai films and wuxia films, but also films like Rashomon, where you see one story and then you see it done a different way. So, what separates [Star Wars: The Acolyte] from some of the other Star Wars series is that it’s told in that particular way.”

Apparently, Jung-jae and Stenberg’s characters have a history, and so Headland adds that both parties will offer their points of view on their shared conflict.

“You definitely get the point of view of the Jedi, especially in terms of Amandla’s character and trying to stop her and hunt her down. But you also get enough of Amandla’s character’s perspective that you can also see how both of them exist simultaneously,” Headland shares

Russian Doll co-creator Headland’s first job as a writer was on FX’s short-lived cult classic series Terriers (2010), and her first produced TV script, “Manifest Destiny,” happened to be directed by Star Wars: The Last Jedi filmmaker Rian Johnson. Headland was not only inspired by Johnson’s work, but also his demeanor on set.

“I love Rian. He was the first director I ever watched work. So getting to see him work on that show was, oh my god, it was just a dream,” Headland recalls. “He was so kind and so quiet, and yet he was so clear about what he wanted. He never seemed stressed out, and I wish I was more like him. He’s like the patron saint of calm directors.”

Below, during a recent conversation with THR, Headland, who directed Star Wars: The Acolyte‘s first two episodes that debut on June 4, also explains why it was important to have a writer on staff who was new to Star Wars. [Writer’s Note: Stenberg goes by both she/her and they/them pronouns.]

Congrats on Star Wars: The Acolyte and its impending arrival. Where are you in post at the moment?

We are done! I mean, there’s a few things getting wrapped up. We were a little late on the ADR because of the actors’ strike, but as far as I know, I believe all of that has been approved and delivered.

I must say that it’s awfully interesting that the two people [Headland and Rian Johnson] who brought us Terriers’ “Manifest Destiny” both went on to make Star Wars.

Isn’t that insane? It tickles me all the time.

What’s the CliffsNotes version of your way onto this project including your pitch?

The CliffsNotes version is that I love Star Wars. I absolutely adore it. And as soon as Russian Doll came out, I was like, “I’m calling Lucasfilm. That’s where I want to work. That’s what I want to do.” So I pitched them. My elevator pitch was Frozen meets Kill Bill, which I said at [Star Wars] Celebration, and I went through what I believed would be a rough season one outline and then an overall series bible, essentially. And Kathleen [Kennedy] bought it in the room and said, “I love it. I want to start working on it.” And we did. We did a lot of development on the scripts. We had a really great writers’ room. It took a while to get prep going because these are such huge projects, and we did a lot of our stuff practically in London. We didn’t use the Volume at all, so it was a lot of prepping for the show.

And then the shoot went really smoothly, actually. It was long, and there was, as you can see from the trailer, a lot of martial arts. So we had an incredible stunt team that did some incredible wire work, and the talent did a lot of their own action. A lot of them had either done it before, like Carrie-Anne Moss, Lee Jung-jae and Dafne Keen. And then Amandla [Stenberg] just threw herself into training and did incredible work in a short amount of time. It got to the point where we started calling her Bruce Lee because she was too fast. (Laughs.) We were like, “You have to slow down because we can’t tell that it’s your face. You look like your stunt double because you’re going so quickly. We have to actually catch the move

So Star Wars: The Acolyte takes place towards the end of the High Republic and 100 years before Star Wars: The Phantom Menace. Now, I’m presuming Amandla Stenberg is playing the title character, but can it be said what her character is an Acolyte of? The Sith? The Jedi? Or is it open to interpretation at this time?

It’s open to interpretation at this time, but you will discover it when you’re watching the show. It will be revealed. One thing to know about the show is that we’ve been talking about it as a mystery-thriller. It is a serialized story, so each episode gives you more information about the story. We were obviously influenced by samurai films and wuxia films, but also films like Rashomon, where you see one story and then you see it done a different way. So, what separates [Star Wars: The Acolyte[ from some of the other Star Wars series is that it’s told in that particular way.

Yeah, the trailer puts us in Amandla’s character’s shoes, but it also shifts back and forth to the perspective of the Jedi and how they’re reacting to this mysterious entity that’s killing them off. So whose point of view is our anchor here?

What’s interesting is that you get both. The way I see Star Wars, the dynamics are either underdog versus institution or institutional threat, or it’s father-son, sibling-sibling, master-apprentice, father-daughter. It’s a familial dispute. So I would say that our show is more on the latter. It’s more about individualized relationships. You’re in the headspace of a lot of different characters. People who are good guys can be bad guys, and people who are bad guys can be good guys. There’s a lot of moral ambiguity, which is why Jodie’s [Turner-Smith] line in the trailer is so important: “This isn’t about good or bad; this is about power and who is allowed to use it.” And I believe, of course, that the Jedi are a benevolent, well-intentioned institution, but they are an institution and they have amassed all the power. So the question becomes when did that happen, and since we know where they’re headed in Phantom Menace, what went wrong? What are the cracks in that? So you definitely get the point of view of the Jedi, especially in terms of Amandla’s character and trying to stop her and hunt her down. But you also get enough of Amandla’s character’s perspective that you can also see how both of them exist simultaneously

Fan service is always a complicated subject with Star Wars. Some people want to see as many familiar faces as possible, while others prefer uncharted territory. By taking place a century before The Phantom Menace, does that inherently mean that the show won’t be loaded with cameos?

That’s right. But, for example, you will see a little bit of Vernestra Rwoh from the High Republic novels. She ends up being live-action for the first time, so that’s definitely a cameo for that audience, I would say. You see a lot of cameos of alien species that I don’t think I’ve seen in post-Disney live-action, meaning a Zygerrian Jedi and a half-Theelin, half-human Jedi. So there are species that you will see, but they aren’t necessarily like, “Oh, it’s that guy from that movie. Oh, it’s that character from Return of the Jedi: Special Edition.” It’s more like references to Star Wars that I think will excite fans, but they aren’t specifically named characters that exist there. There’s also a lot of stuff from the EU that I got to utilize. Nobody stopped me, so I did it. (Laughs.) So if you’re a fan, there will be a species that you might recognize. There are also certain narrative elements. Basically, there are enough Easter eggs if you’re a fan of the Original Trilogy, the Prequels or The Clone Wars. And then there’s some EU sprinkled in. So you could definitely watch this series without knowing anything about Star Wars, but if you are a Star Wars fan, you will notice all of the things that we’ve put in there.

Andor creator Tony Gilroy proved that you don’t necessarily have to be a lifelong Star Wars fan to be a great Star Wars storyteller. So I thought you made a wise choice by having a varied writers’ room with fans of different eras and then someone who never flocked to it at all.

Yeah, I just thought it would be good to have the perspective of a person that had literally never seen Star Wars until she was in the room. And she said to me, “Why do you want me in this room? I’ve never seen Star Wars. I have no idea. I think there’s a dog in it, but I don’t know anything.” And I was like, “First of all, you’re an incredible writer, but that’s why I want you here. I want you to be questioning narrative. I don’t want myself, who’s a lifelong fan, to just be relying on particular references in order to create emotional beats. I want those emotional beats to be earned and checked by someone that isn’t super familiar with it.”

And it was really funny because she finally watched the Original Trilogy over that Christmas. She watched the Prequels, too, but she kept texting me [about the Original Trilogy] and was like, “Luke and Vader are …” All those things that we’ve known forever were blowing her mind. She was like, “Luke and Leia are brother and sister!? What the fudge!?” She was writing all these things to me, and I just thought it was so funny. So she educated herself in order to be in the room, but it was really fun to have somebody like her to help collaborate.

Well, I still reference your Terriers line, “I don’t know what I’m supposed to do with that,” and I look forward to seeing what you have in store for us with Star Wars: The Acolyte.

Oh my god, I loved doing that show [Terriers]. I love Rian. He was the first director I ever watched work. I had been on a set, but I had never been next to a director, watching them direct. But he was so inspiring to me, and I was such a huge fan of his. So getting to see him work on that show was, oh my god, it was just a dream. It was like I understood. He was so kind and so quiet, and yet he was so clear about what he wanted. He never seemed stressed out, and I wish I was more like him. (Laughs.) He’s like the patron saint of calm directors.

''I think there’s a dog in it''

That's where Disney @

I only realized in the last couple of days that The Acolyte is being done by Leslye Headland, who was the head writer and showrunner for the first season of Russian Doll, with Natasha Lyonne (which is awesome, if you haven't seen it - it's on Netflix). I was on the fence before learning that and seeing the trailer, but I've put this on my "things to watch (out for)" list now. :thumbsup:
Oooh, I knew the name sounded familiar, one more reason to watch it.

The Internet seems to be banging on about the usual "woke Disney" stuff and apparently some opinions from the showrunnner, and I tend to ignore all of that for the white noise I personally believe it should be treated as.
It's not really white noise when they shove it your face. I can see and read for myself and have come to similar opinions. Regardless, focusing on that stuff instead of good storytelling is just asking for failure. Even more so when the creatives have demonstrated a lack of passion and knowledge of the franchise.
Anecdotally, all the Star Wars fans I know (across a range of countries) are pretty burned out on everything having to be One Big Universe (which, personally, I'm a sucker for - just as I am with the MCU for all its ups and downs),
How many is that? Two. Lol j/k

The problem is more that it is a big universe, but the shows have really shrunk it down. That's a criticism I've seen repeatedly. Characters always seeming to run into each other, regional events that seemingly have outsized roles, etc.

but find this looks at least interesting.
Eh, not much to say after a 2 minute trailer. I'll have a stronger opinion after the 2 episode premiere.

Top Bottom