Alternate endings?

Undertaker798

I studied on killin' you!
How many alternate endings to civ 4 could there be?

Maybe an alien invasion (Already in a thread i know!) Or you are asked by your science advisor: "Would you like to look at our new invention? The time machine?" which takes you back to the beggining of the game but on a harder level. Or a screen pops up saying "Well done, you have stood the test of time!" and you could choose an extra option to end, the: One more turn!
When selected all your cities are hit continually by Nukes. Then another screen pops up saying "You addict! Get some help!" :lol:

Please post some more ideas!

Time shift to crusades and then:
"AK-47 for EVERYONE!!!"

I'd like to see Alpha Centauri replaced by the Singularity. What happened post-Singularity could vary. Maybe nothing would happen, and the game would just end. Maybe half of the world would get taken over by machines Terminator-style, and you'd have to fight to destroy them. Maybe the world would be obliterated instantly. Maybe humanity would join together in a transcendence to a higher state of being (a la SMAC). Maybe the massive unleashing of computational power would result in the discovery of a faster-than-light drive for travelling through space, setting the stage for a sequel to Civilization kind of like Masters of Orion or the Galactic Civilizations games.

Actually Alpha Centauri (Or my preference a Mars colony) makes sense because it is 'going off the map'. The 'Singularity' is still 'on the map' it just involves really advanced techs

has someone been reading Ray Kurzweil? :D

"Hey..is that Jesus? OH MY GOD! THE END OF THE WORLD HAS COME! EVERYONE RUN!!!! RUUNN!!!!!"

*BOOOMMM!!!!!*

:lol:

"Hello, I am Satan of Hell, I would like to trade with you!"

Krikkitone said:
Actually Alpha Centauri (Or my preference a Mars colony) makes sense because it is 'going off the map'. The 'Singularity' is still 'on the map' it just involves really advanced techs

I'm dissatisfied with Alpha Centauri as the sequel to the Civilization games as it operates on the same scale, i.e., one planet. That's why I suggested something on a more interstellar scale.

Or maybe a technology that allows you to build time travelling, light sabre weilding, giant electric penguins!

Mrdie said:
"Hey..is that Jesus? OH MY GOD! THE END OF THE WORLD HAS COME! EVERYONE RUN!!!! RUUNN!!!!!"

*BOOOMMM!!!!!*

:lol:

"Hello, I am Satan of Hell, I would like to trade with you!"

TRADE WITH DEEESSSSS NU:nuke: :nuke: :nuke: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

apatheist said:
I'm dissatisfied with Alpha Centauri as the sequel to the Civilization games as it operates on the same scale, i.e., one planet. That's why I suggested something on a more interstellar scale.

Wel as a sequel to Civ I'd agree that
1. an Interplanetary (system) scale would make the most sense (where everyone starts out as a nation on a planet, and is colonizing the planets)

2. For Grand/Epic scale Interstellar ala MOO is really a true 'sequel' to Civ (SMAC really is just a Very advanced modification of Civ, basically the same game though as you point out)... unfortunately MOO is currently out of the running.

But for an end to the Civ game, setting up a self-sustaining colony on another planet qualifies because then factors 'outside the map' begin to get too big for the game.. ergo it ends. And I personally think Mars is far more practical than Alpha Centauri (unless we discover a habitable planet around Alpha Centauri, then that drastically drops the costs of the colony itself, all you have to do is get there still REALLY HARD.)

Well, there's also Galactic Civilizations, which I've heard good things about. Different developer and publisher, of course.

Mars is more practical than Alpha Centauri for an off-Earth colony, but it's less practical as an Earth replacement. It will be a long time before a Mars colony could be self-sustaining, so if anything happened to Earth itself, the Mars colony wouldn't last long. Also, Mars isn't far enough away to preserve humanity from a solar system wide catastrophe. Alpha Centauri isn't the best choice because we don't know that it has a class M planet around it (and the three star Centauri system doesn't seem like it would be very conducive to the stability that life needs), but as a placeholder, it serves.

I realize a Mars Colony would be very hard to get self-sustaining, but I figure it would be just about as easy as getting a colony to reach Alpha Centauri, plus it would likely take a lot less futuristic tech (getting to an Earth-like planet around Alpha Centauri would still require some way to keep a group of people alive for 50-500 years out of contact with the rest of humanity...as well as designing the massive nuclear rocket engine.) For a non super futuristic tech tree,...Mars is a much more reasonable choice, perhaps require Manned Mars Mission as an enabling wonder. (Alpha Centauri has the force of Tradition) Not to mention a self-sustaining Mars Colony can more easily begin interacting with the Earth, and therefore making more sense to end the game at that point.

I'm cool with that as long as Alpha Centauri is code for "nearest Earth-like world." The startup costs for such a mission dwarf those for Mars colony, but once it's up and running, its ongoing costs are much less.

I didn't say it so well before... Mars is much harder to make self-sustaining because it's not inherently human-habitable. As a result, Mars will for a long time (always?) be an appendage, not its own thing.

apatheist said:
I'm cool with that as long as Alpha Centauri is code for "nearest Earth-like world." The startup costs for such a mission dwarf those for Mars colony, but once it's up and running, its ongoing costs are much less.

I didn't say it so well before... Mars is much harder to make self-sustaining because it's not inherently human-habitable. As a result, Mars will for a long time (always?) be an appendage, not its own thing.

Well the transport costs would always be there, so it would be an advantage to make it self-sustaining (which there's no reason why It couldn't be)... It just might require a population of a million or so, because they would require Industry for being self-sustaining not just Agriculture.

The thing is I see that as being far more 'low-tech' but high investment than a interstellar voyage (which again if you can keep people alive in deep space for long enough to do that you can probably keep them alive on Mars indefinitely pretty easily.)

Alternate ending:

God: *yawn* I had a wonderful dream last night. There was a whole world trying to figure out who I was, worshipping me, and fighting wars for me...

Mrs. God: I've told you before, don't eat cheese before you go to bed.

The planet would be obliterated to make way for an Intergalactic Highway.

i think it would be awsome if when you won because of a space race you could create another civilization on Alpha-centari(or Mars/other planet) and then manage the earth and other civ. But, unfortunatly that dosent look like it will be in the game.

jwijn said:
The planet would be obliterated to make way for an Intergalactic Highway.
Dang greedy psychologists... who do they think they are, eh?

I thought I heard they're bringing back wonder movies? I'd be happy to have the same, mundane endings, but with a cool ending movie to go with it (were those in civII or just in CTP?). A UN audience cheering for you, a ship approaching a planet in the distance, or a tank rolling over some guy's face.

the mars colony makes a whole lot more sense than alpha centari

they did have a singularity ending in SMAC

Top Bottom