Am I missing a folder?

AW Arcaeca

Deus Vult
I tried downloading Thomas' Mod for BTS... but the interface didn't appear, and it just overall didn't work. The instructions say to put it the Program Files\Firaxis Games\Civilization IV\Beyond the Sword\Mods folder, but no such file exists. No BTS folders at all in my Program Files(x86)\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 folder. The mod still doesn't work when I put it in Program Files(x86)\2K Games\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 Complete\Beyond the Sword\Mods folder.

So am I missing a folder somewhere? Do I need to add one and put the mod there? The installation instructions don't really specify...

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=281603

I'm thinking the folder you are looking for is in 'my games' not 'program files'.

No, AW has the right location. There has to be a BTS folder there, if it is installed.

(and mods only work when you load them...be more specific when you say "does not work")

No, AW has the right location. There has to be a BTS folder there, if it is installed.

(and mods only work when you load them...be more specific when you say "does not work")

Sorry. Reading through the instructions lymond is clearly correct. The only mod I have is running out of the my games folder and I made a bad generalization.

When I say "does not work", I mean "the interface for the mod doesn't show up - not when I set the modpath the mods/Thomas' War in the .ini file nor when I load it through the Advanced options."

The installation instructions also clearly specifies that the mod won't work if it's installed to the BTS folder in My Games; it has to be in the "main" BTS folder.

AW - As I mentioned, you have the right place. I assume you unzipped the file.

I searched for the Mod and looked at the install instructions closely. It does mention a quirk that creates an additional higher level folder for the mod. Read those instructions again carefully. I think you need to go into the first TW folder and copy or cut the second TW folder and paste it in the mod folder. Then delete that other folder.

So, just to clarify: I download the mod, unzip the mod, take the folder called Thomas' War out of the newly unzipped folder, put in the Program Files(x86)\2K Games\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 Complete\Beyond the Sword\Mods folder, then go back and delete the folder that used to contain the folder I just moved?

I'm not sure we are quite on the same page. Again, I going by the instructions the modder wrote up. (regardless, modpacks work only one way)

First, you have the right location. That is not the issue. What may be the issue is that the modder incorrectly added a higher level or duplicate folder for TW. So whether you unzip the file directly in the Mods folder or copy the TW folder over to the mods folder you should see something like this:

Program Files(x86)\2K Games\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 Complete\Beyond the Sword\Mods folder\Thomas War

However, if you click into the Thomas war folder you should see other folders and files like the "Assets" Folder. What you may see instead is another "Thomas War' folder with the assets in side of that folder. BTS won't recognize the mod in that case. So you need to copy that TW subfolder back into the Mods folder. Or if you unzip it in a different place, go into the first TW folder and copy out the second TW folder over to the Mods folder.

All in all, when you click into Program Files(x86)\2K Games\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 Complete\Beyond the Sword\Mods folder\TW, you should see the "Assets" folder and whatever, not another TW folder and nothing.

First, make sure the folder is named correctly. Mods that modify the "theme" files generally require it to be an exact name and based on the preview images this is one of them (different interface color = modified theme files).

Second, in the folder should be a .ini file with the same name as the mod/folder (if there isn't, try running it once which should create it even if it doesn't work properly). In that file make sure there is a line that says "NoCustomAssets = 1". If it is set to be 0, change it to 1. Then try the mod again. If this makes it work, the reason it didn't work was that you have stuff in the CustomAssets folder over in My Games that is incompatible with the mod.

Third, there is no third on account of I have never used this mod and am currently out of ideas.

Top Bottom