[NFP] Am I the only one to enjoy playing the game with no mods...?

Alaindor

Warlord
Yes, I mean no mods and not "no modes"...

I am sure modders are doing a great job and I'm fine with other people enjoying their work, but as for myself, I am quite happily playing the game "as-is" with no additional mods... why is that:

- People complain about the UI, yes it can be improved, but at the same time I like the challenge of keeping things in my mind and I don't want UI mods to tell me everything about how much more yields I would get by choosing such policy card, etc. there is joy for me in the surprise of finding out after I pick said policy card and if I screwed up, then so be it;

- Diplomacy is probably not at its best, but I didn't really see an improved diplomacy mod;

- When I play a game, I like to win abiding by its rules... sure some could be improved, but as in real life, if I don't like the rules of a game I can choose, then I don't play it;

- Then, it's only a game... why do some people seemingly get angry and p***ed off because some of the rules don't seem to agree with what they think might be a better way?

- Finally, I don't want to mess around with mods compatibility with every release / patch, I seem to have read some incompatibilities or occasional breaking features.

The only thing I do not like is the degrading state of the AI... clearly it is not on par with the average player, it is not able to use efficiently many of the new modes, and it is getting more and more buggy with every release (hello improving luxuries with M&C? Hello at least trying to win aid emergencies? Hello using heroes?...). I will also agree that some options are not optimized and trading sometimes does turn into an unneeded click fest...

What are your thoughts? Can you convince me of any mods are a must-have I might enjoy, given what I said above?

Moderator Action: Edited to make language family friendly --NZ
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Last edited by a moderator:
Civilizations Expanded. It's just a mod I think you should have, IMO.

I'm with you. I don't use mods mainly because I don't want to get attached to one, then have my game break on the next update. Also I just don't like fiddling with them, and I don't really play often enough that I've gotten tired of "vanilla" yet, although there are plenty of expansions and I haven't even tried all the modes and new civs yet.

There's a few mods I only turn off when testing for bugs, namely Terra Mirabilis and Sukritact's resources

Have never bothered with mods besides UI ones in any civ game; and usually special game modes bore me after a few try. I do like the earth maps for RP reasons though.

I like to play and improve the way I play, as well as discuss this with other people so it's best if we're playing the same game as others.

When I play a game, I like to win abiding by its rules... sure some could be improved, but as in real life, if I don't like the rules of a game I can choose, then I don't play it;

Yea basically. I usually try to overcome a problem rather than complaining about it. Then I complain about it. :lol:

I temporarily used CQUI back in vanilla, but uninstalled it once Rise and Fall came out. They fixed most things I had issues with, such as a build queue, proper map pins, and the individual civ stats in the upper right corner. I haven't used mods since and don't ever plan on using them again. I also like to play the same game as others for discussion's sake.

I don't use any mods that make significant changes to the game. Most mods I use are aesthetic, like the one that makes forests thicker, Tomatekh's Historical Religions, and either Prismatic or Stylish Civilization Colors depending on my mood. I only use three mods that really affect gameplay: reworks for Sumer and Babylon (because Firaxis' designs of those civs are just appalling) and Norway (because the rework made it more of a Faith/Culture civ, which is my style--and I like to be able to play Norway because their music is gorgeous).

When I play a game, I like to win abiding by its rules... sure some could be improved, but as in real life, if I don't like the rules of a game I can choose, then I don't play it;
Unless you're playing for stakes, no one will arrest you for having house rules. :p

The only one I really use is Tomatekh's Historical Religions.

However, if someone ever makes a mod that lets zombies wipe out civs entirely in the Zombie Defense mode, I'd get that in a heartbeat!

What are your thoughts? Can you convince me of any mods are a must-have I might enjoy, given what I said above?

I have put 2600 hours in Civ, and I don't think I've played more than 50-100 hours without mods. Some mods are just essential to me:

- Being able to remove all resources. It's ridiculous that I cannot place a world wonder in the 1883 because of some horses. HORSES.
- UI mods like Sukritact's
- Terra Mirabilis (I probably write that wrong) that add more natural wonders and change existing ones for the better
- Shutting up Shaun Bean's quotes. I love the actor, love his voice acting, hate the quotes. Proverbium changes the Tech/Civic quotes into good quotes.
- Historical religions: I don't want to pick Catholocism or have the option of a few user-made ones playing as Maya.
- Being able to zoom in and out farther. Civ is full of beautiful details that get more appreciation when you are able to zoom in and out farther.

And then there are the non-essential but lovely mods like being able to build districts, UIs and Wonders in forests and jungles, just so the game looks greener.

I'm sure that without mods I would have maybe put half the amount of time in Civ, maybe even less.

- People complain about the UI, yes it can be improved, but at the same time I like the challenge of keeping things in my mind and I don't want UI mods to tell me everything about how much more yields I would get by choosing such policy card, etc. there is joy for me in the surprise of finding out after I pick said policy card and if I f***ed up, then so be it;

I see your point for the extra information argument for the policies (though I still prefer to break my head which policy card to take after seeing the effects ;) ), but I wonder if your position also extends to the trade interface. Would something like Quick Deals (I sang my praises here: https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...st-always-on-mods.666514/page-2#post-16096672 ) take away from your fun of discovering trade opportunities as well?

Last edited:
The official "modes" are in fact "mods", if you use them you have no reason to not try mods.

Obviously you're right. But since those modes break some of the game features and the AI is incapable of using them, it feels like cheating to me so I'll probably disable them in my next game anyway.

The official "modes" are in fact "mods", if you use them you have no reason to not try mods.
I'm not sure anyone was arguing that it was was somehow wrong or bad to use mods per se. He mostly just listed what he wouldn't want to use mods for, then asked if there were any recommendable mods that didn't change those things.

I'm not sure anyone was arguing that it was was somehow wrong or bad to use mods per se. He mostly just listed what he wouldn't want to use mods for, then asked if there were any recommendable mods that didn't change those things.
As that was literally the first line in OP, I thought it needed some clarification, which he has done now.

But I'm not going to try to force someone that like the game as it is to use mods.

There are 3 points in OP that can be answered factually:

- diplomacy is not moddable (as in "modifiable"), you'll need to rewrite it from scratch for civ6, so yes, there are no mods for that, and I suppose there won't be.
- compatibility is less of an issue now that the game is (maybe) in a final state, but there is still inter-mod compatibility issues that can happen with a large list of mods (or with large mods) used together, which is IMO a valid argument for not using mods blindly
- AI is maybe moddable, but not documented and very difficult to debug/test, I think as diplomacy that's not something that will be overhauled by mods unless the source code is released

The points about UI and rules, those are a matter of taste and opinions.

Yes, opinions can change, but, as written in OP, there is not a lot to discuss, it's more related to a "gaming philosophy" I suppose.

For example, OP won't bother to use a game for which he doesn't like the rules, while there are games that I buy only because I know that the modding community will make them good, while the vanilla version are not for my taste.

Last edited:
Top Bottom