Amphibious units

MantaRevan

Emperor
I am playing as Rome, and I attack Arabia. All goes well, until I notice that he isn't out of the game yet(what I need for a conquest), because he snuck a city onto a little island surrounded on all sides by water. I send some ancient cavalry after him, but it tells me I can't attack without an amphibious unit. Do I really have to wait until marines to kill this guy off, or is there an easier way?

If conquest is all you've got, you'll have to wait for marines. Berzerks and marines are the only amphibious units (unless I'm forgetting one).

I suppose you could gift them a few of garbage cities, then DOW them, beat the snot out of most of the garbage cities, then try to get the island city in the peace deal.

Or just go for a domination win, if that's available.

I suppose you could gift them a few of garbage cities, then DOW them, beat the snot out of most of the garbage cities, then try to get the island city in the peace deal.

That was my idea, but I don't really have the time for that. All I can think of at the moment is just focusing on killing someone else off in the mean time, while I wait for {groans} amphibious warfare.

You don't have time for a minor war, but you have time to wait for marines? :confused:

Ah. Your right. I'd just rather not, since I don't know *how* much I have to capture before the AI is willing to give away cities.

Hmm...
It might not save much time, but maybe see if you can bribe Scandinavia into a war with them, and hope they'll destroy the island city?

Good point, and the AI won't do a palace jump, AFAIK.

I've never seen it.

And in my current game the Dutch have their Capital on an island with just 1 square of surrounding land but have (well, er, had) 2 large islands on the other side of the globe and it's been like that for plenty long enough for them to relocate.

I'm enjoying this as it means the two large islands are easy peasy pickings.

I think your best bet is to wait until Amphibious Warfare, mate. If they only have that island city left, then they will be extremely backwards (taking forever to research techs, build stuff [not a lot of shields on a one tile island] etc.). Just have some patience and wipe out everyone else until then.

I think your best bet is to wait until Amphibious Warfare, mate. If they only have that island city left, then they will be extremely backwards (taking forever to research techs, build stuff [not a lot of shields on a one tile island] etc.). Just have some patience and wipe out everyone else until then.

That's exactly what I'm doing. It's 1500 and they are still ancient, so I have no worries there.

So you're fighting this guy with swords, he retreats to an island shouting "You will NEVER beat me while I'm on here!!".
So you reply like "yeah whatever, see you later dude" (thinking, damnit he's right).
Then hundreds years later one of your scientists says "hey look, we've invented these guys who can land on an island and fight straight away, they even look bad ass too". And you're like "just what we needed, I remember this little island where the guys can hold shooting practice". (and you laugh manically)
So the guy is stuck on that island trying to keep the monkeys off of him, remembers you sailing around the island not able to land somewhere... he's just finishing his marketplace so he can trade his one fish and then... one day when he takes a walk on the beach he sees this ship, a ship he has never seen before. It's not his, so whose is it? He looks around and notices the bushes are not like they are on normal days. Is he hallucinating? The bushes move. They are... walking. They are LOOKING BACK! They are... marines.

This is where Civ4 is nice in the fact that any unit may attack from boats, only at a attack penalty (unless they get a certain promotion).

The reason for bumping this thread is a link posted in the Civ 3 modding forum to a comment from sulla, that marines during their attack are ignoring the city defense bonus. I hope it is o.k. for sulla, when I citate here the part of sulla´s comment about the Marine unit:

Marine (8/6/1): This is another speciality unit that can be very useful in the right circumstances. Their special ability is to attack cities from ships, during which they ignore city defensive bonuses. This might not seem like much, but with that ability marines have 8 attack against the 12.5 defense infantry have when fortified (compared to 22.5 in a metropolis when the city defensive bonus is added). Marines can be very useful in blitz invasions of another continent, such as capturing a city on the coast with marines, then moving the invasion force of tanks into the city and hopping to other cities on their rail network. And marines are the only units that can capture a city on a 1-tile island, such as the ones that exist on the earth map that is packaged with the game. If you can't secure oil for tanks, marines are your best industrial age attack force. They aren't useless at all, just speciality units - keep that in mind.

As the civers in this forum normally have much more experiences in playing standard C3C than we modders, please help in answering, if you have ever noticed such a big not documented advantage for marines by ignoring the city defensive bonus when attacking cities.

The reason for bumping this thread is a link posted in the Civ 3 modding forum to a comment from sulla, that marines during their attack are ignoring the city defense bonus. I hope it is o.k. for sulla, when I citate here the part of sulla´s comment about the Marine unit:

Marine (8/6/1): This is another speciality unit that can be very useful in the right circumstances. Their special ability is to attack cities from ships, during which they ignore city defensive bonuses. This might not seem like much, but with that ability marines have 8 attack against the 12.5 defense infantry have when fortified (compared to 22.5 in a metropolis when the city defensive bonus is added). Marines can be very useful in blitz invasions of another continent, such as capturing a city on the coast with marines, then moving the invasion force of tanks into the city and hopping to other cities on their rail network. And marines are the only units that can capture a city on a 1-tile island, such as the ones that exist on the earth map that is packaged with the game. If you can't secure oil for tanks, marines are your best industrial age attack force. They aren't useless at all, just speciality units - keep that in mind.

As the civers in this forum normally have much more experiences in playing standard C3C than we modders, please help in answering, if you have ever noticed such a big not documented advantage for marines by ignoring the city defensive bonus when attacking cities.

Here is another source I've found:

https://apolyton.net/forum/miscella...-university-aa/122531-au-mod-amphibious-units

To quote Alexman : "OK, the amphibious bonus is actually 25% (confirmed by Firaxis)."

That's why some people have notice amph attacks went better than what the numbers indicate yet when it's tested with ridiculously high defense bonuses things didn't work. It's a slight attack buff but doesn't ignore any defensive bonuses.

Semi off topic, but I always wished they had just made every unit amphibious. Would have given people more of a reason to defend their coastlines and build a navy.
that's exactly why I added an ancient age amphibious unit to my mod, without warning, an enemy ship might sail by and drop a unit taking your coastal city

Top Bottom