Amusing Papal Primacy Aspect

nefloyd

King
I've been fond of using Papal Primacy lately - this religious belief causes City-States that have your majority religion to gain +15 to their influence resting point.

When coupled with Aesthetics, from Patronage, which adds another +20 to the resting point, you will eventually become friends with any city-state that adopts your religion. Granting your protection can even add another +10 for a total resting point of 45.

However, the amusing part about the first two...is they'll take place even if you haven't met the city-state! You can actually 'become friends with' and receive friendly-status bonuses from city-states that have yet to show up on your diplomacy, and you cannot talk to.

Pretty neat if you're playing Ramk, Greece, or just aiming for city-state friendship in general, under certain conditions.

From what i understand, playing with this combo also means Alex loses no influence per turn unless someone else completes Patronage. Not tried this yet - is it true?

From what i understand, playing with this combo also means Alex loses no influence per turn unless someone else completes Patronage. Not tried this yet - is it true?

The combo is Alex's UA (50%) + Patronage opener (25%) + the City state sharing your religion (25%). You have to spam a few missionaries to achieve the last one though, it doesn't really happen automatically.

Siam would be better for this because Alex's UA only slows the decay rate which would be non-existant anyway if your only keeping them at the resting point. Where as Siam would get +50% of the benefits from the CS as standard.

I played a game with Alex. I took some turns to get religion off the ground and the intial gold investment to get them allied with me. After that the CS quest you fulfill just playing kept me allied with all of them permanently, I think I maybe had to give out gold 3 or 4 times with 16 cs's. I don't think I got 0 loss, as some one else completed patronage (-.33 or something). However, Ghandi kept couping cs's so I burned his civilization to the ground.

When G&K first came out, I thought the new version of Pledging was really cool. While it is still much better than the vanilla version (which did very little), most of the time I find Pledging to be far more trouble than it's worth. It usually results in deteriorating relationships with many of the major civs. Then again, if you just want to be friends with the little guys and don't care about the major civs, then it's okay.

Nowadays, I'll typically only Pledge if it's part of a CS quest (after which I will revoke the pledge ASAP).

Especially with the "another civ allies with the CS in between turns and the CS gets into a war with your friends causing a diplomatic penalty." That should really be fixed!

Regarding Papal Primacy, my initial thought was that it was the coolest Founder belief, but I am starting to reconsider that as well. It's certainly fun, but there's absolutely no benefit if your religion spreads to major civs.

The Papal Primacy belief states the word "friendly". So, what is the context of the word in this case?

"Friendly" as in not "irrational", "neutral", or "hostile"? Or "friendly" as in "not at war with you"?

Big difference. CS's with Friendly personalities are the minority.

The Papal Primacy belief states the word "friendly". So, what is the context of the word in this case?

"Friendly" as in not "irrational", "neutral", or "hostile"? Or "friendly" as in "not at war with you"?

Big difference. CS's with Friendly personalities are the minority.

I think you are talking about a different belief, not Papal Primacy but Religious Unity, the one that spreads religion to friendly city states at double the rate. In that case it means city states you are friends with, i.e. 30 influence or more.

Another "amusing" papal primacy aspect...
"You have to be Christian to become priester and pope"
In the game you can thus have Buddhist Popes,Islamic Popes and Jewish Popes...
Remember,Civ5 is not always historically accurate game

I think you are talking about a different belief, not Papal Primacy but Religious Unity, the one that spreads religion to friendly city states at double the rate. In that case it means city states you are friends with, i.e. 30 influence or more.
Ah, right, gotcha. Thanks for clearing that up.

I just discover that while playing OCC with Siam. Works wonder.

Top Bottom