An act of sheer....

allhailIndia

Deity
...zidanity...

I think the English language needs an entirely new word to describe what Zinedine Zidane did. What he did by losing his cool, his head, his professionalism, etc. at the worst possible moment, should from henceforth be called an act of 'zidanity'.

Plus it gets u some cool points in Scrabble as well.

Can u think of any other acts of sheer zidanity in sports generally?

I'm afraid Zinedine Zidane is very very very very little compared to Eric Cantona in this department. Though, i give you that, that was a WC final.

I once saw some Zidanity when a basketball match denigrated into a melee involving brooms and fists.

Ron Artest was pretty Zidane when he busted a few fans down.

I reject this new word. In no way Zidane deserves to be remembered in this way. There is millions of players out there that deserve to give name to such a word. Materazzi is a very good example. He's probably the most dirty and insane active player in top flight football.

Let's see.

1. He's in WC final
2. He's the team's captain and game leader
3. The game is tied in extra time
4. He is probably going to shoot the first penalty
5. It's his final game of career
6. He turns around after verbal comment by player from opponent team and headbutts him to the ground

It's zidanity, an act of megalomaniac insanity in the world of football.
Truly magical fellow to the very end.

I like that expression and agree, this world cup was a festival of zidanity

Zidane, at least, has for him that when he does such a blatant foul, it's out of spontaneous anger. It is, rightly so, punished by immediate expulsion, because you HAVE to control yourself, but it's at least a human reaction to stress, pressure and anger.

Materazzi, on the other hand, seems to be commiting fouls in a very calculated way.
Frankly, I much prefer the sanguine outburst of someone being provoked than the sneak attempts to wound and provoke and act all innocent afterward.

jonatas said:
That last foul was truly remarkable. What a madman :p
He's not a madman, he just plays the way he knows to play(often, dirty).

Zidane would get the red card, I'm sure he KNEW that when he threw the headbutt, but, IMHO, since the red card was inevitable, he should throw an elbow-to-the-head/knee to the genitals/sort right to the kidneys/knee to the head combo(and maybe I'm too nice...), just for good measure, to make idiots that bad-mouthing(during the game) things like the families of the players, shut up for good and think again the next time if they want to say such things(assuming Materacci really bad-mouthed, since I don't know exactly what happened).

King Alexander said:
He's not a madman, he just plays the way he knows to play(often, dirty).

Zidane would get the red card, I'm sure he KNEW that when he threw the headbutt, but, IMHO, since the red card was inevitable, he should throw an elbow-to-the-head/knee to the genitals/sort right to the kidneys/knee to the head combo(and maybe I'm too nice...), just for good measure, to make idiots that bad-mouthing(during the game) things like the families of the players, shut up for good and think again the next time if they want to say such things(assuming Materacci really bad-mouthed, since I don't know exactly what happened).

Agreed, it would be very satisfying to see such a-holes get shut up.

Dawgphood001 said:
Agreed, it would be very satisfying to see such a-holes get shut up.
I just don't think anyone should be made to hear things about his family: that's cheap shots, very cheap. Maybe, whoenever says such things should also face the red card.

I havent seen the game yet (it was on at 4am here, but there is a replay), but after seeing the headbutt, i am in no way surprised Zidane headbutted Materazzi. I mean, just look at the way he plays! http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=4254333&postcount=9

And taking cheap racial shots? Insulting their mother? If you are going to sledge, make it relevant to the game for crying out loud.

One would think that during his career ZZ had heard enough insults concerning his mother to not explode during the World Cup final. :rolleyes:

And taking cheap racial shots? Insulting their mother? If you are going to sledge, make it relevant to the game for crying out loud.

Well, apparently it works... :(

Top Bottom