An interesting start with Hannibal

Checked out the save :lol:, gl brother, will be fun to see how the experts play this
I think the map might actually be on the easier side.

T66
Spoiler :

Well, I think the word beeline can be used in this one. Only BW and archery are techs I didn't need to tech for construction. This means I don't have sailing, pottery, agri, wheel... FIN coast is not horrible with this amount of food, so the tech rate is awesome. 1 worker is enough.

Civ4ScreenShot0277.JPG

T66 construction, attack perhaps around T75 or so. That's so early that it should be a breeze from here, especially against a weakling like Pacal. Hmm, maybe I should whip a 2nd worker, roads would help!

Civ4ScreenShot0278.JPG

Attachments

• Hannibal BC-1360.CivBeyondSwordSave
    100 KB · Views: 28
T94
Spoiler :

Declare T78 with 7 cats and 6 dudes. Took some warriors because I thought @lymond might appreciate it. :) Actually I think it's a good play, Utica needs 2 archers defending against his chariots and warriors aren't that bad against extremely wounded defenders. Also xp is rather meaningless on some units, that's why I skipped barracks in Hadrumetum.

Civ4ScreenShot0279.JPG

Crawl like a snail next to his capital, bombard, so it's been really slow (compared to say HA-attacks), but at least there really aren't casualties. Take Mutal T83 at the cost of 1 catapult. Funny how the research is entirely killed. Wasn't I doing some +40:science: already T60?

Civ4ScreenShot0280.JPG

Secondary "stack" crawled towards silver city. Lost a cat and two archers, and barely captured it. Ceased fire, because don't want to risk losing that cr2-cat and I don't think reseting war success hurts me much. Have nearly enough money to get alpha, leave him with one city and extort techs in peace deal.

Civ4ScreenShot0281.JPG

Re-declare T89, drink from the oasis while bombing Lakamha's defences and take it without casualties. Then walk to Mayapan, take it without casualties. Oh I attached a GG to cats, so I have plenty of these cr3-babies. Like cutting butter with a hot knife or whatever the saying is. Captured 3 workers in the process. He has monarchy, so I'm getting priesthood, then taking monarchy+sailing from peace, then taking his last city 10T later. Since I'm building libraries and other buildy stuff, I think I'm leaving Charlie and his Stonehenge+shrine alone for now. I can get him to friendly and it's a cakewalk from here.

Civ4ScreenShot0282.JPG

Attachments

• Hannibal BC-0525.CivBeyondSwordSave
    140.4 KB · Views: 28
:lol: pretty much got the saying though a tad less explicit and more poetic. Like " a hot knife to butter... or through butter"

Update to T140.
Spoiler :

This was a nice and peaceful turnset. I focused on teching to Astronomy and managing my economy, leaving Charlie to his own devices. He seems to have crashed his economy by expanding so much, but he will recover over time.

I deleted many of my units to save gold. I did keep the catapults and elephants, figuring that they would be useful in a future war. I built wealth in a lot of places and settled city #8 for the deer in the north. I got a great merchant and decided to use him for a trade mission. 1100 gold seemed like a good deal to me.

One mistake that I made was dawdling too long with getting out a great scientist. I had to avoid Code of Laws to keep the Astronomy bulb open, so my only option was to run two scientists somewhere for 34 turns, and I don't think I got that started quickly enough. In hindsight, I should clearly have avoided teching Meditation in the first place, that way the bulb path would have been keep intact even if I traded for Code of Laws.

Numerous great generals were born elsewhere in the world. I do think I will end up attacking someone other than Charlie, so it's good that the other AIs are fighting each other.

I ended up reaching Optics at 200 AD. Charlie was being stubborn and would not give me Calendar. Even after gifting him Monotheism, Horseback Riding, and getting to +10 relations he wasn't friendly. I decided to self-tech Calendar and he became friendly immediately after I finished it. (Of course.)

It was a pretty strange game. In the end I didn't even bulb Astronomy; I just teched it normally because the Great Scientist wasn't coming along fast enough. I should have it by 600 AD or so, not great and can definitely be improved. I think if I replayed this map I would avoid Meditation, focus harder on getting Charlie to friendly (maybe gift a city), and make a trade for Code of Laws. Maybe I would start a golden age and farm two great scientists in caste system.
T131.png

I guess I should talk about Joao and Izzy, but there isn't much to say. They are semi-isolated judging from the espionage points, and they are best pals with their shared religion. But despite that they are completely backwards, barely even in the Classical era.

And that brings us to 600 AD and Astronomy. That date isn't very good of course, but I do think I can get to Steel pretty quickly from here. I think I will start up a golden age, switch into Bureau and Caste, and get out some great people. I could bulb Chemistry or get out great merchants to upgrade trebs to cannons. I think Isabella is a good war target here. If I take out their continent I could probably win a UN victory. Mansa Musa might build the UN.
Astronomy.png

T140 Tech screen.png

Attachments

• Hannibal T140.CivBeyondSwordSave
    199.9 KB · Views: 30
Wow, they are so backwards :crazyeye: except Mansa of course.

Top Bottom