An Unofficial Science Competition -- paying homage to Mesix

Hammer Rabbi

Deity
GOTM Staff
Regarding the "who's best" at science victories from Mesix (and in no way trying to hijack his thread or discussion) I have assembled one map that can be played identically by each of these civs (Korea, Babylon, and Maya).

1. Game settings are standard: Emperor, standard speed, no special settings. You can enable any combat settings as normal from the options menu.
2. Opponents and City States are the same for each game. They spawn in the exact same spots as well.
3. All resource locations are also identical, even later ones when revealed by tech completions. Legendary or abundant settings are not ticked but you have a fair amount of resources and terrain to reflect the difficulty.
4. Players are not required to play each game identically, strategy and paths are intended to play toward each civs strengths.
5. The map is designed to be favorable for all 3 civs by including a mountain and a coast to let each civ have access to the Observatory and for Korea to be able to use their Turtle Ship UU.
6. Each game should settle the capitol in the starting location. Any other cities can be settled as desired.
7. Because each game will be played on the same map, prior map knowledge will play a role in victory turn speeds but that is acceptable as every player has that advantage. Spoilers arent really going to be spoiling anything since everyone will have all the knowledge for each playthrough.
8. Two things are uncontrollable and can provide a small but less than measurable discrepancy in game play: Ancient Ruins and Barbarians. While everything can be set in place, I cannot guarantee what benefit a ruins will produce nor can i guarantee how/where a barb hut will spawn. This is the only variable in the game other than AI actions and play style.
9. This is unlike any of the other challenges in that customization is discouraged. I have tested each map to make sure they are identical. I cannot guarantee there are no bugs or conflicts based on your computer or any mods. I would prefer people not load their mods but since this is informal I am not going to be able to check saves or find if people are cheating/exploiting or reloading. Games can be restart and played many times, but reloads are still frowned upon.

I am trusting the community's genuine desire to test this out.

Okay, here are the start saves.

View attachment SciTestNebuch_0000 BC-4000.Civ5Save

View attachment SciTestSejong_0000 BC-4000.Civ5Save

View attachment SciTestPacal_0000 BC-4000.Civ5Save

This challenge isn't for everyone. It means playing through the same map and VC a minimum of 3 times (4 really if you include an initial playthrough just to see the map). It can feel tedious. It also means you should be well-versed in multiple play styles (tall, wide, etc) to say the results are decent enough. I haven't don't this myself because I'm most accustomed to Babylon and have played Maya the least. I will play through all of them to report my results, but wide is not my best play style so I will already say that my results will be less than accurate.

I dont think you can actually declare a "winner" based on this alone, if at all. But the debate itself is fun if nothing else.

If there is a decent enough reaction to this, I intend to try and build a deity save for each of these to test the really good players. I personally feel many strengths/weaknesses reveal themselves better at deity. But I won't until I know how to create deity difficulty starts with appropriate advantages based on how the map has to be made. Each civ has to have the right amount of units to reflect an actual deity start and Im not sure exactly what those are.

If there are any maps that wont load, post in here if you can. They have all worked for me so far.

Love the idea! If nothing else it will be fun to see who can get the best turn times.

I'm a little sad I don't have time to play this week. I'll certainly try a Korea or maybe Mayan game. I might just update this post when I will. :p

Thanks for setting this up. I was actually thinking of something similar. I appreciate you taking the time to set this up.

I will play through these later in the week when I have some free time. I will post a synopsis of my results here.

Babylon
Renaissance (119)

Maya
Renaissance (118)

A lot of variables will make more deviation but I believe this will show the best comparison result ever.

The save is created from version 1.0.1.705?

I don't want to play same map three times. Can I play only Sejong and compile the event here?
Is it going to be useless if I don't play all three?

This can be a nice break from GOTM TSG.

I am giving this a try, first run with Babylon - 130 turns in, about to discover scientific theory on turn 145. Will share some results after I manage to complete this.

I have one comment about the rules - starting in place is extremely sub-optimal for all 3 civs on this map. It is obvious you should move your settler one tile to the west and settle on the hill. I did this instinctively after scouting with my warrior. It is like an unwritten rule of the game to never settle your capital on the coast when there are no resources in the water.

No need to gimp players with this arbitrary rule to settle in a terrible starting location, when there is a godly starting place just one tile away. I very much doubt anyone is going to build a turtle ship. Just my 2 cents.

I am giving this a try, first run with Babylon - 130 turns in, about to discover scientific theory on turn 145. Will share some results after I manage to complete this.

I have one comment about the rules - starting in place is extremely sub-optimal for all 3 civs on this map. It is obvious you should move your settler one tile to the west and settle on the hill. I did this instinctively after scouting with my warrior. It is like an unwritten rule of the game to never settle your capital on the coast when there are no resources in the water.

No need to gimp players with this arbitrary rule to settle in a terrible starting location, when there is a godly starting place just one tile away. I very much doubt anyone is going to build a turtle ship. Just my 2 cents.

As Korea it may actually be worth going for a windmill, so they may want the option not to settle on the hill. Though I say this not having seen the map.

Giving it a go as well. I will also post result as the game progresses.

EDIT: First session with Babylon ended, and an eventful one it was. Hammer Rabbi certainly made us a cool location. I had only one problem - I had to reload the T70 autosave thanks to my game crashing from a weird DX11 failure around T78-79, forcing me to replay everything from T71 on.

By now, I built only 3 wonders: ToA, Oracle and HG. I guess I could have added GL too, but meh... I forgot how lazy the AI is on Emperor - GL was finished on T77 - I am used to seeing it completed at least 40 turns earlier. Since all pantheons got stolen, I will be playing with Messenger of the Gods - but it will kick in as soon as I get a second city up and running.

Added the screens as attachments up until T107. Now it's time to get a break.

Attachments

• 001. Babylon T58 after NC.jpg
    001. Babylon T58 after NC.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 374
  • 002. Harald DoWs me on T76.jpg
    002. Harald DoWs me on T76.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 257
  • 003. HG is finished.jpg
    003. HG is finished.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 237
  • 004. Harald doesn't want to fight me anymore.jpg
    004. Harald doesn't want to fight me anymore.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 270
  • 005. T92 situation.jpg
    005. T92 situation.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 224
  • 008. T107 Observatory finished and Rationalism opened.jpg
    008. T107 Observatory finished and Rationalism opened.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 293
  • 007. T102 situation 2 GS planted.jpg
    007. T102 situation 2 GS planted.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 216
  • 006. 2nd GS born.jpg
    006. 2nd GS born.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 263
A lot of variables will make more deviation but I believe this will show the best comparison result ever.

The save is created from version 1.0.1.705?

I don't want to play same map three times. Can I play only Sejong and compile the event here?
Is it going to be useless if I don't play all three?

This can be a nice break from GOTM TSG.

You dont have to play it 3 times, but for accuracy reasons it would help. As is, the real determinant will be a player's skill combined with each civ's strengths/weaknesses. Since the goal is quickest time, pick your favorite and go with it. As a comparison to other's quickest turns is also pretty fun!

This is of course GnK for Maya plus DLC so vanilla only wont be able to load the games. I wasnt paying attention to the version number. I can go in and change the opponents to make GnK plus vanilla only but I'll have to upload new saves for it. I'll wait til i see a few requests to see if it's needed.

Giving it a go as well. I will also post result as the game progresses.

EDIT: First session with Babylon ended, and an eventful one it was. Hammer Rabbi certainly made us a cool location. I had only one problem - I had to reload the T70 autosave thanks to my game crashing from a weird DX11 failure around T78-79, forcing me to replay everything from T71 on.

im not sure if the fact that i use DX9 will have an effect on that but I always had problems with 11 from my rig setup so i dont use it anymore. sorry about the crash.

Oh, no, no... I had it happen on many random occasions during the game (I play on a laptop, so this may also be a reason - no integrated graphics, though), so I doubt there is a problem with the map. More so, I would like to thank you for the effort you put in making it. It is by all means a great one, really adequate for each civ. I can't wait to try Korea and Maya too.

This game can also give a nice option for a quick victory, but sooner or later, any of these civs will make a big tech leap forward and leave all others trailing, which means the RA's won't be very lucrative. I signed like 3 by T130 and there wasn't much in them - sometimes not even granting a full tech.

Here's a few more screens. I managed to time the 4th GS with Pisa, so in essence, I got 2 GS's in 2 turns, then one more from PT. Caesar tried to DOW, but nothing much happened, as he had to go through Tyre, which was allied with me at that time. However, I can see the power of Babylon reaching its peak. I don't expect seeing much more in terms of beakers anytime soon, unless I add more cities - and I will.

Attachments

• 010. Tengriism founded T116.jpg
    010. Tengriism founded T116.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 208
  • 011. Caesar DOWS.jpg
    011. Caesar DOWS.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 160
  • 012. And offers peace promptly.jpg
    012. And offers peace promptly.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 192
  • 014. Pisa finished and timed with the 4th GS.jpg
    014. Pisa finished and timed with the 4th GS.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 166
  • 013. T128 Situation.jpg
    013. T128 Situation.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 167
  • 015. T138 5GS planted.jpg
    015. T138 5GS planted.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 249
  • 016. T147 - PT finished and Tengriism enhanced.jpg
    016. T147 - PT finished and Tengriism enhanced.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 161
  • 017. T150 Free Thought opened.jpg
    017. T150 Free Thought opened.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 168
  • 019. T170 GS7 planted.jpg
    019. T170 GS7 planted.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 170
  • 020. T182 Situation - Factories 25%.jpg
    020. T182 Situation - Factories 25%.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 274
Oh, no, no... I had it happen on many random occasions during the game (I play on a laptop, so this may also be a reason - no integrated graphics, though), so I doubt there is a problem with the map. More so, I would like to thank you for the effort you put in making it. It is by all means a great one, really adequate for each civ. I can't wait to try Korea and Maya too.

This game can also give a nice option for a quick victory, but sooner or later, any of these civs will make a big tech leap forward and leave all others trailing, which means the RA's won't be very lucrative. I signed like 3 by T130 and there wasn't much in them - sometimes not even granting a full tech.

Here's a few more screens. I managed to time the 4th GS with Pisa, so in essence, I got 2 GS's in 2 turns, then one more from PT. Caesar tried to DOW, but nothing much happened, as he had to go through Tyre, which was allied with me at that time. However, I can see the power of Babylon reaching its peak. I don't expect seeing much more in terms of beakers anytime soon, unless I add more cities - and I will.
You chose Messenger of the Gods, but it looks like you only have one city. Without any :c5trade:, Messenger of the Gods is pretty worthless.

Who says the Bowman is a worthless UU?

Spoiler :

You chose Messenger of the Gods, but it looks like you only have one city. Without any :c5trade:, Messenger of the Gods is pretty worthless.

I know, but all other decent Pantheons were taken. The only thing I could take was +1 culture from plantations, or +1 food from camps, or the +15% Ancient/Classical Wonders (which gets obsolete really quickly cause few wonders there are useful), and my favorite, the desert Pantheon (I love desert start bias with babylon) which is not applicable here.

So I took messenger of the gods with the view of expanding in the mid to late game to 3-5 cities. I really had no other choice. Besides, I now have 2 cities, and thanks to the happiness, more are coming :)

well, desert pantheon could have been good as long as you settle a 2nd city near some desert, which was close enough to the north west. i think sometimes people dont think about 2nd cities being better than capitols if the terrain provides for it. and yeah, you havent gotten a 2nd city yet which for any sci vic is really useful. 3 before t100 is ideal for me with babylon and korea. the 4th sometimes is a mid-game choice based on resources or a coast. still not used to maya though.

i also noticed you didnt settle in place with the cap. it isnt necessary but a coast for babs is still useful for exploring.

I had only one problem - I had to reload the T70 autosave thanks to my game crashing from a weird DX11 failure around T78-79, forcing me to replay everything from T71 on.

Put auto saves for each turn. You will never lose a turn anymore.

Question : for sake of comparison we need to tech the same way for all game, settle same number of cites at approx same turns, etc.

For myself i will try 3x 4 pre-NC cities set-up using Tradition(more or less the 4 trad cities start) with no other cities settled or conquered.

reloads are forgivable for crashes. reloads to prevent losing that wonder by 1 turn or missing the social policy timing you wanted is frowned upon. my games are always set to autosave every 3rd turn so re playing extra turns doesnt hurt that much. i only use them on games where im testing strategies or struggling. i hardly ever crash, crosses fingers, haha. but still these are informal competitions. bragging rights and self-respect are the only things really at stake here.

Top Bottom