ancient ruins suck

neoaspilet11

Chieftain
well why most ancient ruins gave me useless bunos? in my last game immortal, i got 3 map bonus 2 which i already explored, 2 technologies when i am about to finish both pottery and writing and last babarian camps. :rolleyes:

I agree that sometimes you get annoying/useless "benefits", but the tech-when-you're-about-to-complete-it can be addressed if you simply have your scout wait by the ruins a turn or two so that you don't search it until you're researching a new tech.

There are several mapscripts, I believe, that allow in Advanced game setup, a flag to remove them. They key is to look for mapscripts, not mods.

I don't want to remove ruins, I just want to eliminate the non-rewards from camps.

I love the Shoshone, but quit your in'. They are a random fun little bonus that you can get... not a game breaker. Sometimes you get something good, sometimes you don't. That's life. That's what makes a game a game.

Sometimes you get something good, sometimes you don't. That's life. That's what makes a game a game.

there should still be some refinement on the stupid map ones and weapon upgrades. ruins on coast tiles should never pop maps. that's just stupid. obviously i've already explored the adjacent land getting to that tile so all it reveals is empty ocean. "your explorers found this map of an empty ocean"?? there's no such thing as an ancient map of an empty ocean. "your explorers found these gatling guns" ughhhh. "your warrior that was going to upgrade into a UU swordman is a pike instead now." ughhhh. these fixes could have been coded in.

I've never had a warrior upgrade to a pikeman. But meh. It's such a small game mechanic. These are just little bonuses. If they were always good... then what's the fun of luck?

I've found Cavalry equipment with knights quite often now when I started exploring in mid game. I don't understand why there isn't the same restriction in place as there is for Technologies.

i once upgraded my last hakkapeliitta into an anti-tank gun with a ruin... i was sad.

are ruins bonus dependent on difficulty or was programmed to annoy the human player? as far as i can tell it is not completely random.

i think i had several games that had two maps + two barbarian camps. all in immortal games.

Meh that's normal I have adjusted to disappointing results years and years ago, its part of the game. Oh the days where I had Mechanized Infantry in Classical era.... :lol:

Noone could resist my steel dragons storming their cities.

are ruins bonus dependent on difficulty or was programmed to annoy the human player? as far as i can tell it is not completely random.

i think i had several games that had two maps + two barbarian camps. all in immortal games.

Yes, near the bottom of the CIV5HandicapInfos.xml there's a list of available goody hut options depending on human player handicap setting.

I normally play with ruins off because Tech/Unit Upgrades can be game-breakers early on (especially on Marathon). My mod-in-progress is reworking the functionality of several goody rewards to prevent such imbalance (doing away with Unit Upgrades entirely and replacing it with another Unit XP and replacing Tech with more gold, etc.)

Meh that's normal I have adjusted to disappointing results years and years ago, its part of the game. Oh the days where I had Mechanized Infantry in Classical era.... :lol:

Is that even possible?? :eek:

I love the Shoshone, but quit your in'. They are a random fun little bonus that you can get... not a game breaker. Sometimes you get something good, sometimes you don't. That's life. That's what makes a game a game.

True but you can run away early with the game thanks to the Shoshone pathfinders. You also have the option of attacking CS' or civs early with comp bows before everyone else. Combined with the UA, it sure is an epic civ and it is especially good with MP.

Indeed. How can a ruins upgrade your classical soldiers to mech infantry? Surely that was a bug?

How can a ruins upgrade your classical soldiers to mech infantry? Surely that was a bug?
I imagine it was a progression of already-previously-upgraded units that kept on getting upgraded. [Save. Investigate ruin. See what results. If not weapons upgrade, Quit. Load. Investigate ruin. Repeat as necessary.]

Yeah, I got lucky several times without reloading at all back in vanilla Civ 5 when it was still possible for a unit to get upgraded more than once xD

mech infantry running around and taking over the world of classical era was hilarious even when I didn't even try to get them on purpose, very common upgrade for me to reach was ww2 tanks or riflemen before I run out of ruins to plunder for alien's weapons.

I think the most I ever had in a single game was 2. Was back when HP system was still set to 10 not 100. Soo, if I ran into a horde of enemies by accident, Mech Infantry would've just got destroyed that way easily.

BUT!

Whenever AI saw mech infantry coming at them in classical era, they just scream in fear and run away every single damn time letting you conquer their whole empire with just two units until you reach their last city then they will put up some kind of feeble resistance while trying to flee somewhere. Which resulted in me not being able to get my mech infantry killed even when I wanted them to die.

So now ancient ruins only upgrade a unit once and I thank them for it. It felt such a waste to have a nice and shiny mech infantry sitting there and not conquering the world.

Although if you hedge your bets and explore an ancient ruin with your crossbowmen, you will get gatling guns in medieval / renaissance era. I did that once, those gattling guns was handy against the shaka horde of impis got mowed down with shock promos letting me do 100 hp damage per shot.

Ancient ruins can be extremely overpowered at right times like exploring them to grab gatling guns to fend off shaka and such :p No reloading happened there. I was lucky.

I imagine it was a progression of already-previously-upgraded units that kept on getting upgraded. [Save. Investigate ruin. See what results. If not weapons upgrade, Quit. Load. Investigate ruin. Repeat as necessary.]

I had Musketmen in ancient era once... playing on Marathon and my scouts found three Unit Upgrade ruins back to back and went to Archer-Crossbowman-Musketman (pre G&K). After steamrolling a few nearby opponents with a unit that could solo their cities I quit and started a new game with Ruins deactivated...

Top Bottom