And In The Beginning

Mojotales

Chieftain
Trying first game, looking at the Civ 3 Complete Manual which gave me the courage to get started and figure I couldn't get to lost. Well, I was wrong!

I started up a Quick Game just to get a feel for movement and such while I'm reading as much as I can get my hands on.

I thought it took a Settler to start a town in the first place! Finally figured I had to be on an appropriate, workable tile to begin with and, lo and behold, got my first town made by the only character who would appear -- warrior. Several. Found a "right" tile and started it it up. I then figured to get another Warrior and start looking for others, including the Settler and the Worker and let it roll a while.

Well, nothing but Warriors keep appearing and I can't figure how to change what I want to build -- as in to a Settler/Worker. In fact, I don't see any real options to choose from so i seem to be walking around and around will another Warrior pops out. I've tried a few other times and have probably chosen a different version of the game and just don't see the smartest way physically to get started!

Help?

Mojo

Go to Preferences and select the one that says ask for build at end of production. Be sure to pick the one that says wait at turns end as well.

Good luck and welcome!
Double clicking on the city will bring up the city view allowing you to assign production, change tiles worked and see how you're growing.

Welcome to the finest game forum on the web, Mojotales.

I do not remember the default quick start settings, but might also want to try a game from the New Game Screen. As a beginner, you might want to go with Chieftain for difficulty, sedentary or roaming barbarians, least aggressive AI, continents, 70% water, temperate, normal moisture, 4 billion years. Standard size map, and maybe 5 opponents or so.

Top Bottom