Another bug?

pthieu1986

Warlord
I'll try to describe it briefly. I asked Catherine to stop sending her missionaries and great prophets to convert my religion and she agreed. Turns later after that (I don't remember exactly how many turns but it was quite long ago), I saw my cities converted by her great prophets so i opened the conversation screen with her again but the button "stop sending your missionaries and great prophets into..." was not there. I also found no diplomatic penalties. Is it a bug or is there a good explanation for this issue?

Not so much a bug as a limitation in the game. Once you've told the AI to stop proselytizing, you've done what the game allows. If the AI breaks its promise, there is no "I really mean it!" emphasizer that you can use.

If the AI chooses to reneg on its promise (any promise -- stop settling near me, stop spying, etc.), you have other tools to use -- some are self-help, like denunciations and DOWs (or bribing others to DOW her), while others are more indirect and require World Congress support, like making your religion the World Religion, banning a luxury they depend on, embagoing them, etc.

It's less that the button didn't appear and more that the button is worthless. I find the true religionmongers will never stop sending prophets (how do they afford so many? Something is fishy). It's more a matter of whether they'll lie to you about stopping.

It's less that the button didn't appear and more that the button is worthless. I find the true religionmongers will never stop sending prophets (how do they afford so many? Something is fishy). It's more a matter of whether they'll lie to you about stopping.

+1. Ramkham and Haille come to mind. Every time I start next to them they'll usually convert all or most of my cities before I can recover.

This is not true, though many players will certainly experience it this way all the time.

Religious promise is just like every other such promise in the game. It means that AI will most likely agree to it unless you are asking for something completely unacceptable for them. For example, I've never seen Hiawatha complying with settlement limitations - he's just a city spammer.

There's the case of keeping promises. AI is much more likely to do so if they like you. The problem with religion is that AI sees any conversion as a hostile act and it will make a move with their religious units only when your relations are not perfect. If you want to maximize the chance of them following their promise, send them a sizable gift, wait a couple of turn and ask only then. Keep in mind that if your relations deteriorate, AI will almost immediately break the promise.

I think that AIs like you a lot does not make the case. Catherine has the best diplomatic relationship with me in the game yet she breaks her promise. I think the answer should be on the overall military power. Anyway, this is the first time i noticed such action from AIs. That's cool indeed.

This is not true, though many players will certainly experience it this way all the time.

Religious promise is just like every other such promise in the game. It means that AI will most likely agree to it unless you are asking for something completely unacceptable for them. For example, I've never seen Hiawatha complying with settlement limitations - he's just a city spammer.

There's the case of keeping promises. AI is much more likely to do so if they like you. The problem with religion is that AI sees any conversion as a hostile act and it will make a move with their religious units only when your relations are not perfect. If you want to maximize the chance of them following their promise, send them a sizable gift, wait a couple of turn and ask only then. Keep in mind that if your relations deteriorate, AI will almost immediately break the promise.

Yes, but bearing in mind that relations with some of them will break down for me doing anything that leads toward victory (build a wonder, make friends with a city-state, found a city, or possibly nothing at all), it leads to a lot of broken promises.

Slightly off-topic: I've torched so many of Hiawatha's villages that there's a good chance I burned everything on the city list once.

Top Bottom